• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

@VKurtB:

This informational, deserves a response.

This Covid-19 brouhaha erupted, if memory serves, about two years ago. If I had not fallen and sought a medical once-over, it would not have been discovered I was a carrier not unlike Typhoid Mary, and given an infusion, or long drawn out injections, 4 administered consecutively, over a 1 - 1-1/2 minute interval. 

I was given BEBTELOVIMAB, but was told it was new, nobody heard of it and no one knew what to expect. I was fine before infusion. I am NOT fine now, going on two weeks. The Fact Sheets I was given specifically says: "Please note: You cannot receive a Covid-19 vaccination for at least 90 days after today's treatment."  Fine, so like it or not, I am stuck.  I have not experienced any of the dozen or so side effects I had been cautioned to be wary of.

Truth be told, I was not taken to the E.R. for Covid-19. I did not know I was +, and neither did my wife. (SHE was given a prescription for Pfizer's Paxlovid: 3 pills in the AM, 3 at nite--for 5 days.)

I plan on getting tested on Friday. I was re-tested earlier this week, at the 10-day mark, and unsurprisingly, was +.

Given a choice, I could not urge anyone, in clear conscience, to accede to an "infusion."

My sister said, "Everyone knows you take Vitamin C, and take plenty of rest." My alibi is I am a "people pleaser." You have an untested drug that is non-FDA approved that has not undergone clinical trials and has an Emergency Use Authorization? Sure, why not? I'm your Guinea pig. Go right ahead.

I would urge anyone to weigh this matter carefully.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing, addition of word, spacing.

Yes, that’s true. But not that many months ago, I was inpatient for a core (upper digestive) surgery, and was tested out the wazoo for everything (and dry starved for 72 hours, too). In my case, it’s not due to lack of contact with medical facilities AND sick people. Heck, even my wife tested positive. But not I. 

On 8/24/2022 at 8:40 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes, that’s true. But not that many months ago, I was inpatient for a core (upper digestive) surgery, and was tested out the wazoo for everything (and dry starved for 72 hours, too). In my case, it’s not due to lack of contact with medical facilities AND sick people. Heck, even my wife tested positive. But not I. 

Superior gene line...

On 8/24/2022 at 8:51 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Superior gene line...

There are articles about “super resistors”, but I haven’t read them. I take MANY medications every day, and one article said Metformin may help resist the virus, and I am in that one BIG. 

[My wife is prescribed Metformin--and when I informed my sister, she promptly denounced me, stated the drug was a toxic poison, and intimated I was an unfit husband. When I sought an opinion from our doctor, he turned around and said, M is a wonder drug and a resounding success. My sister retorted, "What do you expect? He represents Big Pharma!"  Can't win for losing...]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Closing bracket.

It is a scam in a sense. The site is owned by a coin shop. If you go there to buy a coin and show what you bought from that site you are fine. But start to show coins you bought off of eBay or other site that is not associated with coin-talk and you will get shut down. I was on that site when I started to buy Roman coins and was told to only look on the site to buy. When I showed some of my Roman coin collection they shut down my thread saying this was not the place to show garbage coins from eBay or other scam sources. LOL. I did not say where I got my coins from in the post at all. So it is a scam. If you want to pay the very high prices for this guys coins it may work for you. If you are looking for good info and to ask questions about coins you have bought over the years not from this site you are SOL

On 10/3/2022 at 4:24 PM, edteach said:

It is a scam in a sense. The site is owned by a coin shop. If you go there to buy a coin and show what you bought from that site you are fine. But start to show coins you bought off of eBay or other site that is not associated with coin-talk and you will get shut down. I was on that site when I started to buy Roman coins and was told to only look on the site to buy. When I showed some of my Roman coin collection they shut down my thread saying this was not the place to show garbage coins from eBay or other scam sources. LOL. I did not say where I got my coins from in the post at all. So it is a scam. If you want to pay the very high prices for this guys coins it may work for you. If you are looking for good info and to ask questions about coins you have bought over the years not from this site you are SOL

I was completely unaware that the owner of CT sold coins and never saw anything that would indicate the owner sold coins or was critical of the coins members had posted.  Maybe I missed something. 

Can you you post any specific links or references so we can see the details?  That would go a long way to corroborate your claim. I do know that at least one of the moderators is a dealer, but can't recall him trashing other  members coins, but then again maybe I missed something.  Any additional details would be very interesting, so please provide what you have.

On 10/3/2022 at 5:14 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I was completely unaware that the owner of CT sold coins and never saw anything that would indicate the owner sold coins or was critical of the coins members had posted.  Maybe I missed something. 

Can you you post any specific links or references so we can see the details?  That would go a long way to corroborate your claim. I do know that at least one of the moderators is a dealer, but can't recall him trashing other  members coins, but then again maybe I missed something.  Any additional details would be very interesting, so please provide what you have.

Even I had never heard that one. I can imagine a fact pattern that may LOOK LIKE this to a participant, but it’s likely a misunderstanding. 

There are members here who, for no other reason than objecting to my presence here, migrated and/or defected there. I have spare time.  Maybe I ought to investigate the matter personally. I may even set up an On-Site Reporting feature there much like a member here has done.  Scam is a pretty strong pejorative term.  Maybe it's time I check it out. After all, whose credibility and reputation here exceeds mine?  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:  :roflmao:

P.S.  Man I love this place!

On 10/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, edteach said:

I'm somewhat active on cointalk. I read more than I post. Have been a member for 15 years. And this is flat out false.

On 10/4/2022 at 6:34 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Two of the most annoying expressions ever devised by man:

1.  We use cookies to enhance your viewer experience, and

2.  Your experience may differ...]

“Past performance is no guarantee of future results.”

For sports, also known as, “Using analytics is male bovine feces.”

Welcome to the Forum!

I have always felt "scam" was incorrectly used by the OP of this column. Not a single member here, or ex-member there, has ever stepped forward to claim he had been gotten by a CT scamster.  It costs nothing to join. [Why a rudimentary background check of yours truly failed to reveal I was a fugitive from NGC, wanted neither dead or alive, is a complete mystery to me.]  But this only begs the questions who's buying, who's selling? Who's pitching, who's catching? Where is the scam?  Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You weren't denied the privilege of joining; you weren't even denied the privilege of disembarking? There are a few headstrong members here who were honored with a disinvitation or disfellowship, but that's the extent of it.  [One member here, who LIKES! me, cordially suggested if I had something to say non-numismatically, to do it elsewhere at my own expense.] No, not MF or OH.

I have many doctors' appointments this week. I give every member within the sound of my voice my sacred oath that, one way or the other, I will get to the bottom of this.  🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Misspelling (of all things.)

@edteach :

Not a minute after you arrived this past Monday, at 4:24 p.m., you posted your allegation without providing any substantive evidence.

You were gone a minute later and haven't been back since.

What gives?  Who's zoomin' who?  Enquiring minds want to know!

On 10/5/2022 at 8:05 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

@edteach :

Not a minute after you arrived this past Monday, at 4:24 p.m., you posted your allegation without providing any substantive evidence.

You were gone a minute later and haven't been back since.

What gives?  Who's zoomin' who?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Maybe it is a { web bot } I see random comments here every once in a while. ???

This thing depends on probabilities.  My aunt and uncle had to stay at a hotel because they evacuated their Florida home due to Hurricane Ian.  Apparently, all the employees and workers at the hotel were from Caribbean countries lagging on vaccination and with Covid problems still.

They BOTH got Covid a few days ago.

I am sorry to hear that. If I hadn't fallen at home, I never would have been taken to the hospital and routine testing would never have disclosed my wife and I had been exposed to it. We were both asymptomatic. Today, I saw an orthopedist. He suggested I ditch the two-wheeled walker, and upgrade to a nice four-wheeled model, with a seat atop a storage compartment--and brakes. Then, he gave me the Good News: in a pleasant, cordial manner, using an unintelligible and impenetrable medical dialect, he referred to my x-rays to explain why I will never walk again [unaided by a walker.]

I am going to be spending a lot of time on CT with a view toward confirming the assertions heretofore made the past [almost] two years , or refuting them, out of hand. I will keep an open mind. [Note to the Moderators:  I am not defecting; I am not a traitor. I am simply checking out some 381 allegations. That takes time.]

On 10/5/2022 at 5:17 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

This thing depends on probabilities.  My aunt and uncle had to stay at a hotel because they evacuated their Florida home due to Hurricane Ian.  Apparently, all the employees and workers at the hotel were from Caribbean countries lagging on vaccination and with Covid problems still.

They BOTH got Covid a few days ago.

The string theory people seem to be telling us that even the existence of matter is a probability exercise. If this is so, with as illiterate as most people are regarding probability and statistics, we are so “scrod”. Remember guys, we are AWASH in people here who think they’re going to find the 3rd 1982-D SD copper cent or the next 1969-S doubled die cent. No probability understanding WHAT-SO-EVER. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/5/2022 at 6:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am sorry to hear that. If I hadn't fallen at home, I never would have been taken to the hospital and routine testing would never have disclosed my wife and I had been exposed to it. We were both asymptomatic. Today, I saw an orthopedist. He suggested I ditch the two-wheeled walker, and upgrade to a nice four-wheeled model, with a seat atop a storage compartment--and brakes. Then, he gave me the Good News: in a pleasant, cordial manner, using an unintelligible and impenetrable medical dialect, he referred to my x-rays to explain why I will never walk again [unaided by a walker.]

I am going to be spending a lot of time on CT with a view toward confirming the assertions heretofore made the past [almost] two years , or refuting them, out of hand. I will keep an open mind. [Note to the Moderators:  I am not defecting; I am not a traitor. I am simply checking out some 381 allegations. That takes time.]

Careful over there. There is a near maniacal thing going on about hyper-strict adherence to rules … because they CAN. 

@VKurtB :

Whether CoinTalk, as many have alleged, is truly a scam remains to be determined.  In the meantime, you have two things going for you much to the consternation of some members... a way with words, and an undisputed grant of unconditional immunity to use them judiciously that makes the president's pardon powers seem tame by comparison.  :roflmao:

On 10/6/2022 at 3:56 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB :

Whether CoinTalk, as many have alleged, is truly a scam remains to be determined.  In the meantime, you have two things going for you much to the consternation of some members... a way with words, and an undisputed grant of unconditional immunity to use them judiciously that makes the president's pardon powers seem tame by comparison.  :roflmao:

I’m serious about the field of numismatics, but I take personalities in this field with a truckload of salt. They take THEMSELVES far too seriously, and diminish the field by using it as their personal piggy bank. 

Okay, I just looked in on CoinTalk. There’s even more newbie posts than here where people post supposed errors which are not, and then argue with the people who give them correct answers. How could ANYONE resist an atmosphere like that?!?! /sarcasm

Yes, even maybe so, but does it approach the level of a "scam"?  Something about the site has apparently upset a lot of people, and yours truly, who hasn't even begun his investigation yet (slated for beginning this weekend) intends to get to the bottom of it.  Big Bonus:  I do not believe anyone here will care a whit if the "retread man" conducts his meticulous excavations, off-site, elsewhere.

I am still not understanding the bit about them (CT) as scammers. I guess I really don't care as I have learned and contributed over there and nary a problem, no bothers of any sort whatsoever.  Haven't seen any political posts over there either, thank God! 

I have a PRELIMINARY FINDING, but have been stopped dead in my tracks, figuratively speaking, by a member who has a presence here, and a commanding profile over there having racked up over 20 years of frequent-flier cross-migration miles and badges and likes and this and that... I am beginning to sound like Roseanne Roseannadana. 

It is very difficult to render an assessment on a site evidently inhabited in great part by people I have engaged, and continue to engage here.

Here's what I will say, unreservedly:  For me to dismiss a site as a "scam" would be akin to denigrating the character of each and every member who has spent, and continues to spend, a great deal of time, intermittently or not, shuttling between sites. I am not prepared to do that. Unfortunately, for me, in view of my airy, and at times flippant manner, if I were to rule in any way other than, "allegation unfounded," I will have destroyed what little credibility and reputation I am reputed to have left.

🐓:  Just a moment, Q!  This is not a multiple choice question...

Q.A.:  No, Ricky, no... It's not a scam. (An awful lot of sound biting going on, but that's just the way people "talk" nowadays.)

[Before I go... anybody know if it is physically possible to grasp what appear to be two basketballs, in outstretched arms, palms down?]  🤔