• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2023 at 4:08 PM, VKurtB said:

Part of my banning is my fault. I NEVER EVER EVER back down from bullies, and the Chief Mod at CT is an über-bully. He openly brags that his word is gospel and then refuses to answer questions, stating that what the rules mean is clear. What is clear is that he is megalomaniac and a bully. 

That's how fascist dicktators are born...

ConTalk ban is a blessing.

On 12/11/2023 at 12:27 PM, NickNY said:

I tried contacting multiple times. There was never a response, so I gave up. I tried opening a fake account, but their application is broken. So i just gave up. Thanks for the suggestion :)

If you PM me your CT name, I can contact someone there (or try to) and see if that expedites matters.  Your choice. (thumbsu

On 12/12/2023 at 8:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you PM me your CT name, I can contact someone there (or try to) and see if that expedites matters.  Your choice. (thumbsu

This is a great deal more complicated than simply "expediting" a matter.  You are, essentially, advocating for someone with whom you are unacquainted.  To date, no one knows what he allegedly said or did. I am not familiar with their Guidelines, are you? Many prominent members here, were forced to emigrate from there. Every Forum is a living, breathing thing whose atmosphere and ambience can change in a heartbeat subject to who is on it at the moment.  Complicating matters are unseen forces which may militate against retention and, most troublesome of all, participation is a privilege -- not a God-given, or constitutional right. To truly understand your "client," you would have to appreciate the complex inter-personal dynamics at play there at different times of the day.  Apparently, early on, an assessment was made your "client" was not a good fit within the confines of their Forum.  By all means, work your magic. I would need a lot more information first, and the luxury of time is something I don't have.

Blast from the Past!

🐓 :  So, if everything you've said is true, how were you able to come back... so many times?

Q.A.:  Easy.  It's generally referred to as putting on an Academy-Award winning performance.  😉 

As someone rather learned in the law, I always warn ANYONE who provides a forum that threatens to become “the public square” that if that happens, they can lose the “normal” protections given to “privately owned websites”. If something becomes a public square, or public convenience, things like anti-discrimination law come into play and “I can exclude anyone I want” excuses can go away. Ask any of thousands and thousands of eateries and motels in the “old south” how asserting private property rights to exclude folks went for them. Now you MIGHT claim I’m engaging in hyperbole, but I really don’t think so.

On 12/12/2023 at 2:00 PM, World_banknote_collector said:

That's how fascist dicktators are born...ConTalk ban is a blessing.

Different people have different experiences.  Even here, some of us have friction with some posters, others don't.

What I think is best is that each of the 4 main coin sites -- PCGS, NGC, CT, and CAC -- each have their specific strengths in certain niches.  For instance, for me, NGC is probably the most useful because of the RWB Saint-Gaudens Book Thread (with tons of comments by Roger and other great posters). 

No way I could re-create that thread elsewhere -- it's invaluable (which is why I back it up on my PC every 5 pages in PDF format xD)

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/12/2023 at 9:23 PM, Henri Charriere said:

You are, essentially, advocating for someone with whom you are unacquainted. 

No, I don't think so.  He says he can't even reach someone there.  All I'm doing is letting someone at CT know that someone is not able to login or even contact Help at CT.  Of course, from what I have been told, he's not on any banned list and didn't commit any TOS violation from his descriptions of posts.

Others had this problem some time ago.  If they are lying about avoiding a ban or suspension, I suspect CT will know and also let me know, too. :)

Right now, if they are innocent, they can't even reach someone to tell them.  That's all I'm facilitating. (thumbsu

On 12/12/2023 at 2:00 PM, World_banknote_collector said:

... the Chief Mod at CT is an über-bully. He openly brags that his word is gospel and then refuses to answer questions, stating that what the rules mean is clear. What is clear is that he is megalomaniac and a bully. 

Maybe we should consider ourselves lucky it's not like that here with what seems like a very level handed and mostly hands off approach unless clear lines are crossed.  But with mods like that I am curious how CT is still a viable forum which continues being discussed here.  I would have bailed on the forum the moment I found out it was like that.

There seems to be something in common with those that can't login over on CT. Many have posted that they forgot their user name or password and try to create a new user name. That's a big no no over there. They can track IPs and ban you for life if you get caught. I may be wrong but I'm thinking that CU has the same policy. They do not want anyone having more than one user name. 

I don't know if this is true but many have said that if you cant login you can't contact anyone, including any of the mods. That's a problem if true. 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:34 AM, ldhair said:

There seems to be something in common with those that can't login over on CT. Many have posted that they forgot their user name or password and try to create a new user name. That's a big no no over there. They can track IPs and ban you for life if you get caught. I may be wrong but I'm thinking that CU has the same policy. They do not want anyone having more than one user name. 

I don't know if this is true but many have said that if you cant login you can't contact anyone, including any of the mods. That's a problem if true. 

All of this is true, is typical of the mindset, and at least quite creepy. I occasionally READ CT forums. There’s far more volume than here, but it’s all just garbage threads, worse than this place’s lower levels of Dante-esque hell.

Edited by VKurtB

Personally, why should I even care about CoinTalk? I have been to it a couple times some years ago and have never returned and am not missing the place. Way too much attention has already been given to ConTalk. I'm watching this thread to just see how it will end. Have some self respect guys and quit even mentioning that site. There's nothing wrong wanting to get rid of everyone while the emperor guy wants to save some bucks by lowering traffic to his beloved forum. While other webmasters are struggling to attract new members, he wants them all out, except some ole good buddies of his own.

ConTalk does not want anyone whining and asking "stupid questions" as they are trying to keep it quality content and all other losers and everyone else must click on ads that CT is surrounded with and get out. No they are not  a scam, they have the right to ban anyone any time, but they can't or want-to ban you from clicking on their overwhelmingly present and overpowering ads. That's most likely the culprit. The ads.

FWIW...  I should like to direct the attention of all participants (and inadvertent guests, lurkers and other passer-bys) of this topic to a column featured on Google, and presumably other sites as well, entitled:  "Coin Talk Reviews and Complaints," featuring 3 negative out of three complaints received, dating back to 2021.  If you feel you have something germane to add to the compilation, I would urge you to do so.  You would be doing all parties involved an immeasurable public service.

I came across this thread while on hold and found it to be a twisted odd journey.  The only question I have at the end of it (Cointalk has been around for years completely legit), is about the original poster.  He claims to be the first name in Numismatics or some such thing.  I could not but help wonder what his response would be if you asked him about Kenneth Bressett or Q. David Bowers.  My guess is he would say "Who?"  lol

On 12/14/2023 at 2:35 PM, samclemen3991 said:

I came across this thread while on hold and found it to be a twisted odd journey.  The only question I have at the end of it (Cointalk has been around for years completely legit), is about the original poster.  He claims to be the first name in Numismatics or some such thing.  I could not but help wonder what his response would be if you asked him about Kenneth Bressett or Q. David Bowers.  My guess is he would say "Who?"  lol

Are you talking about G_P Newbie? I also have no idea who he is, but CoinTalk made a lot of enemies, that's for sure. Twisted odd moderators attract twisted odd reactions.

On 12/13/2023 at 3:06 PM, World_banknote_collector said:

Personally, why should I even care about CoinTalk? I have been to it a couple times some years ago and have never returned and am not missing the place. Way too much attention has already been given to ConTalk. I'm watching this thread to just see how it will end. Have some self respect guys and quit even mentioning that site. There's nothing wrong wanting to get rid of everyone while the emperor guy wants to save some bucks by lowering traffic to his beloved forum. While other webmasters are struggling to attract new members, he wants them all out, except some ole good buddies of his own.

So you have not been there in years and you tell others to have some self respect and not go there. You know nothing about the site, the mods or the owner. Everything you posted is false. I'll guess someone there hurt you feelings and you can't get over it. Grow up and post the truth or don't post. 

On 12/14/2023 at 7:02 PM, ldhair said:

So you have not been there in years and you tell others to have some self respect and not go there. You know nothing about the site, the mods or the owner. Everything you posted is false. I'll guess someone there hurt you feelings and you can't get over it. Grow up and post the truth or don't post. 

It's YOU who should stay away from this forum. Just go back to your beloved CoinTalk and stay there. Good luck and have a good day.

On 12/14/2023 at 2:37 PM, World_banknote_collector said:

It's YOU who should stay away from this forum. Just go back to your beloved CoinTalk and stay there. Good luck and have a good day.

No. After being here for 21 years, I'll stay. After 16 years on CT and 25 years on CU/PCGS, I'll stay there as well. I don't make up stuff. If I post something, you can bet it's the truth. Posting false information will never be cool on any of the sites and members will correct any false information.  

On 12/15/2023 at 1:55 AM, ldhair said:

No. After being here for 21 years, I'll stay. After 16 years on CT and 25 years on CU/PCGS, I'll stay there as well. I don't make up stuff. If I post something, you can bet it's the truth. Posting false information will never be cool on any of the sites and members will correct any false information.  

I post only the truth. Did you notice that this thread is by those whose feelings were hurt because they were banned from CoinTalk? I am neither a frequent poster on NGCC and I am never going back to CoinTalk for two reasons:

1. I don't need CoinTalk, they have wrong attitude. I don't collect coins.
2. I was banned from it for just for posting one single question and for being new there. There was no abuse from my side.

I don't need any of the forums, really. I prefer live conversations.

Yes, I will keep on posting as long as I receive answers and related replies. Just want to see CoinTalk hurt for banning innocent posters. Not that I need to go there.

Yes, you can stay on NGCC and on CoinTalk., It is your right and you should use it.

Edited by World_banknote_collector

On 12/15/2023 at 7:10 AM, World_banknote_collector said:

I post only the truth. Did you notice that this thread is by those whose feelings were hurt because they were banned from CoinTalk? I am neither a frequent poster on NGCC and I am never going back to CoinTalk for two reasons:

1. I don't need CoinTalk, they have wrong attitude. I don't collect coins.
2. I was banned from it for just for posting one single question and for being new there. There was no abuse from my side.

I don't need any of the forums, really. I prefer live conversations.

Yes, I will keep on posting as long as I receive answers and related replies. Just want to see CoinTalk hurt for banning innocent posters. Not that I need to go there.

Yes, you can stay on NGCC and on CoinTalk., It is your right and you should use it.

You never said you were banned. Now I understand the hate you have for the site. It's strange that new members post questions there everyday and don't get banned. 

One thing is for sure. You and the mods are the only ones that will ever know the truth of why you were banned. Just for the record, I post stupid questions over there all the time. I guess I'm just lucky. 

I don't think you know what a scam site is.  On the one hand I have been on Cointalk since 2017 and can't even tell you for sure who the moderators are.  Neither has anyone affiliated with cointalk tried to scam me.

On the other hand, shortly after I joined Cointalk an individual on that site claimed he was starting his own site to discuss Seated coins only.  I was told the site would be on something called freelists or something like that.  I was intrigued so I asked if I could join.

I was only on the site about 5 or 6 days when I figured out that 2 individuals did 90% of the posting.  figure A would post a coin and claim he wanted more information.  Figure B would claim the coin was some uber rare variety worth thousands of dollars.  Then they would try to pressure anyone else on the board to buy the coin.

In my case they tried to sell me an 1874-CC Trade dollar.  The coin had been heavily whizzed, so much so that they hade to re-engrave the dentils.  the CC on back was so large I can only imagine they somehow lifted the C off of a pair of nickels and somehow stuck them on the back .  They also claimed the coin was an MS-70 and worth $6,000 dollars.

I told them they should send the coin to a third party grading service if they thought it was such a true rare variety.  The next day I was banned.  Then poster A and poster B told everyone on the site they had discovered I was a corporate troll who worked for those nasty Grading Services.  About a week or two after that I got a 401 when I tried to reach the site. 

That is what I call a scam site.  James  (Not affiliated with any grading service)

On 12/15/2023 at 2:06 PM, ldhair said:

You never said you were banned. Now I understand the hate you have for the site. It's strange that new members post questions there everyday and don't get banned. 

One thing is for sure. You and the mods are the only ones that will ever know the truth of why you were banned. Just for the record, I post stupid questions over there all the time. I guess I'm just lucky. 

I did wrote that I was banned, in multiple posts, but you need to find and read them. I am going to unsubscribe from this thread and forum, to have my time back. I really don't care about CoinTalk.

On 12/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, samclemen3991 said:

I was only on the site about 5 or 6 days when I figured out that 2 individuals did 90% of the posting.  figure A would post a coin and claim he wanted more information.  Figure B would claim the coin was some uber rare variety worth thousands of dollars.  Then they would try to pressure anyone else on the board to buy the coin.    

There you go guys. You found all the truth about ConTalk. Thanks for sharing this.

I used to purchase forum software and customize it. Make it look nice and wait for visitors to arrive. They never arrived except a handful ones. Over the years I got advise to post a LOT on my own forum, which I did not, since I am honest and do not practice hypocrisy. After some years I needed to minimize and I delete the forum and never looked back. Now I understand better what's going on with forums.

Edited by World_banknote_collector

On 12/15/2023 at 10:56 AM, World_banknote_collector said:

There you go guys. You found all the truth about ConTalk. Thanks for sharing this.

The part you quoted from Sam was not even about CT. He was talking about a different site. 

On 12/15/2023 at 9:44 AM, samclemen3991 said:

I don't think you know what a scam site is.  On the one hand I have been on Cointalk since 2017 and can't even tell you for sure who the moderators are.  Neither has anyone affiliated with cointalk tried to scam me.

You left out this part of Sam's post. A member of the forum was the problem. It's sad but there are dishonest folks on all coin forums.  

On 12/15/2023 at 8:10 AM, World_banknote_collector said:

I post only the truth.
1. .... I don't collect coins....

I suppose one could be excused for wondering what a member with the formidable moniker @World_banknote_collector would expect to find on a forum devoted to coins.

I think a former member's sidekick, Ricky the Rooster, 🐓 , tongue-in-cheek, expressed his displeasure the best...

Blast from the Past!

"I don't like it over there, (CT).  All they do is talk about coins." :makepoint: doh! :whistle:

On 12/13/2023 at 9:25 PM, Henri Charriere said:

FWIW...  I should like to direct the attention of all participants (and inadvertent guests, lurkers and other passer-bys) of this topic to a column featured on Google, and presumably other sites as well, entitled:  "Coin Talk Reviews and Complaints," featuring 3 negative out of three complaints received, dating back to 2021.  If you feel you have something germane to add to the compilation, I would urge you to do so.  You would be doing all parties involved an immeasurable public service.

A bit of an update...  it seems 103 reviews were received by "Trustpilot" with a notation that cointalk does not solicit reviews. What caught my eye was the line-up of 5 stars, only one of which appears to have garnered attention: the one marked "1 star" with a solid black bar followed by "100%."  That is to say, the three negative "cherry-picked" reviews cointalk apparently chose to showcase, averaged out to a more palatable 2.8. The 103 unpublished reviews average out to 1.00. No 2- 3- 4- or 5-star reviews were received, period.

I thought the following review captured some of the frustration and ire I have read on this thread:

"Abominable forum run by ban-happy hypocrites."

Abominable forum allegedly run by racists and hypocrites who ban everybody indefinitely for any reason. Don't waste your time going there and avoid posting there if you wanna continue reading the posts.  (Date of experience: Dec. 31, 2021.)

I hesitate calling the site an outright scam based solely on the strength of the calibre of members here, who I found to spend quality time there. Would they tolerate a member with his talking Rooster there?  Most certainly not!  I believe this is the first time I have encountered a site, active for a number of years, that has managed to garner a single, solid 1-star rating.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:47 PM, ldhair said:

CT is healthy with about 68,000 members but I'm sure only a fraction of those members are active.  

Any idea for numbers at CU, here, or CAC ?

On 1/9/2024 at 2:04 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Any idea for numbers at CU, here, or CAC ?

My feeling is the hobby is top-heavy with what one CT critic referred to as "geriatric" folks.  Be that as it may, it is older, knowledgeable investors that are moving the hobby along. A lot of experimental stuff going on what with the development of NGCX and CACG.  Even the U.S. Mint is trying to broaden its appeal with the introduction of a wide variety of subjects beyond the usual mainstays, proof and uncirculated mint sets.  There is no telling what may catch the fancy of the younger crowd. That may very well explain why "Follow the Lead" remains the most popular thread on the Forum which has inspired a number of off-shoots like silver and gold.  As much as I like the appeal of older coins and the idea of finding them in the back roads of the country, the younger crowd's introduction to coins are increasingly being fueled not by storefronts, which are far and few in between, but the internet. The future lies with the young. Lose them and the hobby becomes one giant Member's Only club.

I do not do anything at CoinTalk.  I spend most of my time at PCGS, some time here, and I lurk at CAC (never signed up).  I like the idea of MyCollect, but it has not manifested in the way it was intended.  I have nothing against any coin chat site.  It's the contributors that either make it or ruin it IMO.