• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2022 at 1:44 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Greater Des MoineS Partnership?

The head moderator over there. 

On 8/4/2022 at 3:18 PM, VKurtB said:

The head moderator over there. 

I have never had the pleasure...

I have never spoken up. Consequently, I have been denied the privilege and honor of banishment and deportation.

Imagine that!  All that time investigating whether it is a scam, and not even a suggestion of impropriety.

On 8/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I have never had the pleasure...

I have never spoken up. Consequently, I have been denied the privilege and honor of banishment and deportation.

Imagine that!  All that time investigating whether it is a scam, and not even a suggestion of impropriety.

He’s yet ANOTHER of that category of FORMER collectors who claims that nothing that happened since they stopped collecting has any value at all. You know, my absolute favorite category. ;)

On 8/4/2022 at 8:08 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

That's the trick. NO ONE has my number. Nothing personal. Glad we can connect here rather than snail mail! When you going to the coin show on 110 next? 

Here you go

I just started it the other day, but it's growing rapidly, as did the one on CT

I'll probably stop by the next show.

Check by Ed Duran's table, he usually lets me know when he'll be there

Since I am high risk, I wear a mask, pick up some coins and go outside to check them out.

Then buy or leave,  in & out quickly.

Too many people on top of everyone.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:20 AM, Frank said:

I'll probably stop by the next show.

Check by Ed Duran's table, he usually lets me know when he'll be there

Since I am high risk, I wear a mask, pick up some coins and go outside to check them out.

Then buy or leave,  in & out quickly.

Too many people on top of everyone.

Fair enough, i totally respect. Well, i certainly know what you look like, strapping young lad you are, even with a mask, so, I'll be there at the opening bell, next time they're there, looking for you. Always a pleasure

@CoinJockey73 Are you aware that Treashunt has a 15+ page going on CT about trying to get you unbanned? lol

FWIW I've never had a problem with cointalk.

But it seems like a lot of members who joined in the last year or two have had unexplained tech problems and/or bans like the OP's.

And a lot of the ancient members did leave a while back due to some long stupid argument. But I always thought the ancient section had kind of a weird vibe, very unwelcoming to people who aren't experts on their area of collecting. And 1 or 2 I know were major jerks lol. So the whole thing was just entertainment for me. And there is still plenty of knowledge in the ancients section, just a little less activity. 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:32 AM, AdamWL said:

@CoinJockey73 Are you aware that Treashunt has a 15+ page going on CT about trying to get you unbanned? lol

FWIW I've never had a problem with cointalk.

But it seems like a lot of members who joined in the last year or two have had unexplained tech problems and/or bans like the OP's.

And a lot of the ancient members did leave a while back due to some long stupid argument. But I always thought the ancient section had kind of a weird vibe, very unwelcoming to people who aren't experts on their area of collecting. And 1 or 2 I know were major jerks lol. So the whole thing was just entertainment for me. And there is still plenty of knowledge in the ancients section, just a little less activity. 

Yeah, he liked what i had going on, over there. 

It's funny, i remember watching the children bicker on CT, bunch of spoiled rotten babies, crying over nothing thinking, thank goodness I'm not involved in ancients! I had been banned by then, for whatever reason, so i couldn't have any fun with them, but that's OK. Good riddance to a bunch of stuck up, know nothing, know it alls. One ancient said something like, are you really challenging a bunch of like minded scholars to form their own ancient site? Well, don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out. Maybe they (CT) feel the same way about me, after all, I'm banned. But at least i didn't walk around with my nose in the air, thinking I'm better than everyone else because my coin was from before jesus, so. There's that. 

Glad you're still able to get what you need from the site. I'm rarely back. I just like to see how buried my old thread is, once in a while. How easily we're all forgotten, lol. Enjoy your day. Thanks for checking in! 

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 8/8/2022 at 11:32 PM, AdamWL said:

I tried to create an account on ct, but something kept causing a repeated error even trying on different devices.  No reply from “admin”.  Their loss. 

On 8/9/2022 at 7:37 PM, CoffeeTime said:

I tried to create an account on ct, but something kept causing a repeated error even trying on different devices.  No reply from “admin”.  Their loss. 

I did too, but it went through. Funny thing is I was suspended from here at the time. They have a vetting process which, if memory serves--that was two years ago--takes about 72 hours. I was surprised, but cautioned myself: do not ever speak up. And I never have. Welcome!

On 8/9/2022 at 7:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I was surprised, but cautioned myself: do not ever speak up. And I never have. Welcome!

Well that doesn't sound good, I wouldn't even bother then.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:05 PM, EagleRJO said:

Well that doesn't sound good, I wouldn't even bother then.

To be honest, and I have admitted as much on this Forum, I let the surgical-strike sound bites, get the better of me and stopped lurking about over there 18 months ago. [I lied to everyone here and said I didn't like it over there because "all they do is talk about coins." I am sure some wrote me off, but the old-timer's had a good laugh.]

Water seeks its own level. If here is where you feel better, maybe here is where you belong. All the best!  🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Minor die polishing: addition of closing bracket.

Face it. CoinTalk exists for one and only one reason - to glorify the opinions of the owner and moderator staff. Period. Have any of them accomplished anything in this hobby? Any awards? Do they exhibit? Do they judge exhibits? Have they won any numismatic service awards? Do they publish? Numismatic Literary Guild Awards? A Clemy? 

The answers are no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no. But they have banned numerous people who have done those things. 

On 8/10/2022 at 2:35 PM, VKurtB said:

Face it. CoinTalk exists for one and only one reason - to glorify the opinions of the owner and moderator staff. Period. Have any of them accomplished anything in this hobby? Any awards? Do they exhibit? Do they judge exhibits? Have they won any numismatic service awards? Do they publish? Numismatic Literary Guild Awards? A Clemy?  The answers are no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no. But they have banned numerous people who have done those things. 

Several posters/moderators there have published books, articles, etc.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Several posters/moderators there have published books, articles, etc.

Posters? Absolutely. Which moderator(s)? The owner? Look, both the owner and the chief moderator don’t even collect coins. But what they BOTH DEMAND is having their gluteals osculated. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/10/2022 at 11:11 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[ @VKurtB:  Oscular? I have already yielded to @CoinJockey73 to whom I have bequeathed my former title, Master Wordsmith. Nice try!]

And as everyone knows, oscular means, anything having to do with Oscar, so, any Oscars in the house? 

Edit*

Example, friend 1 says, did you see how smashed Oscar was the other night? 

Friend 2, absolutely, it was so Oscular!

Edited by CoinJockey73
Needed an example

On 8/10/2022 at 2:35 PM, VKurtB said:

Face it. CoinTalk exists for one and only one reason - to glorify the opinions of the owner and moderator staff. Period. Have any of them accomplished anything in this hobby? Any awards? Do they exhibit? Do they judge exhibits? Have they won any numismatic service awards? Do they publish? Numismatic Literary Guild Awards? A Clemy? 

The answers are no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no. But they have banned numerous people who have done those things. 

Seems like none of those things are necessary to have an amazing coin website. Crazy, huh? Being a recently banned member, i for one can say, the site is very friendly, and ideal for people new to coins. There are actually very few people with attitudes over there, compared to here. I find over here it's more combative, people thinking you need to win a Clemy (wtf is that?) to be worthy of anything. So, you may actually have a fun time over there, rather than here. I seem to have just recently brought any fun here, over from there. 

That being said, best of luck in your journey @EagleRJO. Not you @VKurtB, we all know about your "journey". I mean, in general.

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 8/10/2022 at 10:04 PM, VKurtB said:

Posters? Absolutely. Which moderator(s)? The owner? Look, both the owner and the chief moderator don’t even collect coins. But what they BOTH DEMAND is having their gluteals osculated. 

I believe Doug was a collaborator or contributor on a Dutch ducat reference.   

gold-ducats-of-the-netherlands-book.jpg.ba8f0620413930ae5d59cf06cb74e1f7.jpg

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 8/10/2022 at 10:04 PM, VKurtB said:

They DID collect coins, I believe. (thumbsu

On 3/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Thank you. Just to give an example of my useless contributions, these are all the 1964 quarters I've found in circulation in the past 13 months. 

I post stuff like this every day, almost 5 days a week. Nothing special. No Morgans, or double eagles, but i do find something, be it a 1941 nickel, a day. 

I'm only interested in coins i can find in circulation, so i really have nothing special to contribute. But ppl come by my thread every day and thumbs up me, or tell me the reverse on that '56 quarter is very rare... stuff like that. It's a fun site! Shouldn't be taken so seriously. 

20210320_161506.jpg

Hey @VKurtB, do i at least get points for consistency? I sound like a freaking broken record 

On 8/12/2022 at 9:30 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Hey @VKurtB, do i at least get points for consistency? I sound like a freaking broken record 

When is a ‘64 quarter not a ‘64 quarter? When it wasn’t struck in 1964. But again, for all post-Depression coins, if it ain’t uncirculated, I don’t care about it. Only pre-1933 gets a look if circulated. And not all denominations of those. The “newest” coin/year/mint in my current search is an uncirculated 1939-D Walking Liberty half. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, VKurtB said:

When is a ‘64 quarter not a ‘64 quarter? When it wasn’t struck in 1964. But again, for all post-Depression coins, if it ain’t uncirculated, I don’t care about it. Only pre-1933 gets a look if circulated. And not all denominations of those. The “newest” coin/year/mint in my current search is an uncirculated 1939-D Walking Liberty half. 

I mean, my posts in general. That was way back in March '21. My song sounds exactly the same yesterday. Almost word for word. That's what i meant about sounding like a broken record. I don't like coins, i find stuff all the time, shouldn't be so serious. Blah blah blah. There's not an original thought there. Sad. 

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 8/13/2022 at 1:57 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@CoinJockey73:  Well, at least you never had my problem. I was called a troll by someone, which I mistook to mean a gremlin under a bridge. And then some new guy comes along and challenged me on something effectively forcing me to defend my position by putting me in the unenviable position of having to answer someone who had taken me seriously. Whoa! Your doing just fine. In an ideal world, we all learn to accept our differences--and move on. I, for one, enjoy your work. In my mind vintage coin finds are not possible. Your postings suggest otherwise. Way I see it, Connecticut's [CT] loss is our gain.  (thumbsu

Haha! Gremlin! Agreed! I may appear to be a troll, but the more posts you see, the more you'll realize, I'm not a troll. I just don't care. Sorry to hear of your past troubles here.

I must confess, i think you believe this is some act, and I have some ulterior motive other than goofing off. I don't. I'm not that smart, trust me. When i attempt anything like that, it's usually me holding the bag, so i try to avoid anything with real thought. That's not a joke. I quote your above statement, "In an ideal world, we all learn to accept our differences--and move on", amen brother, amen (that's not religious). That's me, to a fault. I really am quite simplistic. If it seems like i know what I'm doing, that's just because i read a lot. I'm usually just spit-balling to see what sticks. Which by definition, is a troll. Holy Moses (that's not religious either), I'm a troll? Does that mean I'm a bully too? Did i come over here, just because i was banned over on CT, and start running things like i own it, pushing people around?! lol

Not a coin today, but I'm always looking, and usually finding. 

20220813_134841.thumb.jpg.1a5a4fa930170f6c12f242c5d3616478.jpg

Got in change this morning when i got my vente grande half calf mochachino draped bust boba tea latte, extra extra stevia. Yum. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, my friend. Hopefully i won't wear out my welcome. 

Totally wrong thread for this, sorry. 

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 8/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, CoffeeTime said:

I was in Seattle not long ago and someone rattled off something like this.  Everyone in line rolled their eyes.

Nice star note find.  

Thank you! I believe I've heard something very similar, which i why i have fun with it, and try to drop a somewhat coin reference in there. Gotta keep it coin related! 

I find ☆ notes almost as much as old timey coins. I'll be posting over on the "nothingburger" thread as they come in. This thread has been hijacked enough, by me. 

Hope to see you over there! 

On 8/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

They DID collect coins, I believe. (thumbsu

Why do you gentlemen persist in muddying up the waters with facts. As the Hon. @VKurtB put it, "I'd rather be right than be nice." I'm willing to abide that.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:20 AM, Frank said:

....Since I am high risk, I wear a mask, pick up some coins and go outside to check them out....

Not one month ago, I asked the gentleman manning the lobby door of our bldg, what happened to all the signs regarding the mask mandate. He said, "They're gone"...then added, "You don't see me wearing a mask!"  Hmmm.

My wife and I still frequented venues where mask-wearing was not an option.  I read somewhere that the CDC fumbled the ball on this one. They did not formulate a plain, simple policy, instead adopting a scattershot approach like: "Updated guidelines: after five days, you're good; no need to isolate." And then, last week I had a fall which led to the E.R., discovery I was C-19+, my importuning my wife she had to go, by herself, which she did, confirming the self-test result (+) I had given her, and opening doors on high glucose sugar and enzyme levels.

The scattershot approach here, where the subject was broached intermittently, was tentative at best. Members decried the cancellation of coin shows; many wanted the mask mandates lifted.

My wife and I were compulsive mask-wearers. We were vax'd, boosted--and, when found to be C-19+, were each given a different treatment.  I never expected to be laid low at this stage of the game. All I can do is advise caution due to the multiplicity of variants out there, and regular testing. At the end of this week, my wife and I will get tested again. And, if I am a responsible member of this Forum, I will share my results with my fellow hobbyists.. Where else can someone go to get information of this kind? If I can shed some light on this matter, I will happily to do so.  🐓