• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2022 at 2:44 PM, VKurtB said:

I do the whole set, too. Not only the silver years. The P and D moderns are all cut from Uncirculated sets. 

Cents, nickels, quarters and halves, too. Only the cents and quarters are not YET complete in mint state. A handful of each remain. 

On 3/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, Lem E said:

I think it was more your personality than your numismatic knowledge that people liked. You’re a fun dude and that is sometimes needed in this hobby. You had more of a CRH element over there and you were like a roll hunter on steroids with your daily finds. You probably found more silver in a week than most would find in a lifetime. I enjoyed your content over there and a lot of other people did too. It also gave us a chance to become friends. It is unfortunate what happened, but it is what it is. I hope you can find your place over here. May not quite be the same as over there, but I’m glad to see you over here. By the way, I think you know a little more about coins than you let on. 

You mean my "nothingburgers"?! Haha! I like that guy more and more, with every post! 

Thank you for the kind words, Lem. I'm glad i remembered i could hit you up here, and try to explain. I hear there's a #freeCoinJockey73 campaign going on, but I'm pretty sure, they're done with me over there. Sigh.

I believe that very attitude that was so much fun for me, and possibly a few others, over there, may not be met with the same humor, over here. Everyone is the smartest guy in the room, apparently. And we both know, that ain't me! 

Anyway. Glad to see you, my friend! I'll keep checking in. You do the same, please. Warmer weather is on the way! 

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 3/31/2022 at 11:46 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

I'm not exactly sure what i did, because i was banned with no notice, but I'm surmising that, someone spelled my name wrong in a comment. Looked funny, and I'm a chop breaker so i thought, some jokester is going to see that and mess with me, just like i would. So i created another account grabbing that screen name before anyone else could, to mess with me. I was never going to use it! Just protect myself. I'm not a big chat board person. I don't exactly know all the proper etiquette, so if that's some "unwritten rule", oops.

I never heard of that but then again I never heard of creating an account for that person.  But your response seems perfectly harmless and I don't know if maybe one of the Mods there who is a bit less "flexible" though you were doing it to attack the person and/or violate the No 2 Accounts rule.  

Since you weren't planning on using the account and since the reason for creating it was clear if not a bit off-beat, I would really think it might just be given a "Don't Do It Again" type warning.  Most of the Mods I have interacted with have been very reasonable and fair.  I don't know who you intereacted with but maybe if they get word of WHY you did that they might reconsider. 

I know that folks who had login problems a while back may have created new accounts merely to email them and the Mods were unaware of the login problems and just saw the 2nd Account thing and gave a ban and/or ignored it.

They must be sticklers for the No 2nd Account thing. xD

On 4/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I never heard of that but then again I never heard of creating an account for that person.  But your response seems perfectly harmless and I don't know if maybe one of the Mods there who is a bit less "flexible" though you were doing it to attack the person and/or violate the No 2 Accounts rule.  

Since you weren't planning on using the account and since the reason for creating it was clear if not a bit off-beat, I would really think it might just be given a "Don't Do It Again" type warning.  Most of the Mods I have interacted with have been very reasonable and fair.  I don't know who you intereacted with but maybe if they get word of WHY you did that they might reconsider. 

I know that folks who had login problems a while back may have created new accounts merely to email them and the Mods were unaware of the login problems and just saw the 2nd Account thing and gave a ban and/or ignored it.

They must be sticklers for the No 2nd Account thing. xD

It's their site, and they may do with it as they please. I'm behind that 100%. But i miss the site! It's an amazing time! No one there is the smartest guy in the room. We're all just a bunch of goofballs throwing coins at each other, lol. I'm just sad, that's all. :frown: 

But I'm making new friends here!

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 3/31/2022 at 2:09 PM, VKurtB said:

My patience is not without limit, but it is considerable. All I expect in return is a desire to grow. 024275E4-A58C-4CEF-B2B5-24E459941174.thumb.jpeg.9d6784db928d3e81e2c0902074e7916e.jpeg
You see, I am an unrepentant quality / condition snob. I’ve been at this for 59 years now. 

Very nice set of Roosies @VKurtBThats one heck of a collection. Im getting ready to start putting together a set of pre 64 full torch here very soon. 

On 4/1/2022 at 6:34 PM, VKurtB said:

You clearly have not encountered Doug at CT. 100% arbitrary and capricious, and he literally even brags about being that way. 

Ive not met him myself so I cant say anything about him but I know certain people around home like that and I dont care to much about them. These small towns are bad for people like that. Most are snobs to. Espically in schools. You gotta have certain last names to be a part of anything at our schools and if you dont your a nobody. The kids and parents are not all treated equally. Seems like certain familys kids are the only ones that get chose for anything. The people with the certain names control everything here. Always have. It makes my blood boil to be around people like that. 

Edited by Hoghead515

Welcome. Yup, me and the boy’s (cat and beaver) consider this our home. The other forum gets busy but part of that ( and something that makes this place different) is it’s general nature, while this is for newbies.

There’s a group of us who use it as a general purpose meeting area while attempting to help new folks. Can get repetitive but such is life. 
    Please listen to Kurt about politics being very carefully used   We don’t all agree but seem to be able to overlook any differences ( mostly) and enjoy each other’s opinions. 

Little slower pace sometimes 🤨

Jzyskowski1 😉🙀🦫

On 4/2/2022 at 5:09 PM, VKurtB said:

I have always maintained that while it’s really tough to do numismatics without history, it’s downright IMPOSSIBLE to completely keep economics out of it. And where you find economics, you find his identical twin, politics. Pretending you can do numismatics completely without references to politics is frankly idiotic. 

When discussing bullion and inflation and things of that nature, sure.

But while I like talking politics and even economics as much as the next guy, I don't find it essential or even that frequent when posting about my coins or the topics I have interest in.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 4/2/2022 at 5:18 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

When discussing bullion and inflation and things of that nature, sure.

But I like talking politics and even economics as much as the next guy, I don't find it essential or even that frequent when posting about my coins or the topics I have interest in.

Crack open a copy of the Krause World Catalog. Politics is the primary story being told, page after page. Coins ARE political iconography. And we here are as guilty as anyone, maybe more so. And the Saints you love so much are a prime offender. All of it, 1907 to ESPECIALLY 1933. 100% raw politics. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/2/2022 at 7:55 PM, VKurtB said:

Crack open a copy of the Krause World Catalog. Politics is the primary story being told, page after page. Coins ARE political iconography. And we here are as guilty as anyone, maybe more so. And the Saints you love so much are a prime offender. All of it, 1907 to ESPECIALLY 1933. 100% raw politics. 

The story of the coins is largely commerce, economics, finance, and most important, their provenance...how they SURVIVED.

Sure, production and survival and usage relates to the economy, stock market, etc.  But it's not as interesting as to how our valuable and limited suriviving coins made it to today.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:26 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The story of the coins is largely commerce, economics, finance, and most important, their provenance...how they SURVIVED.

Sure, production and survival and usage relates to the economy, stock market, etc.  But it's not as interesting as to how our valuable and limited suriviving coins made it to today.

They made it to today by DESIGN. Never forget that. To the extent that many didn’t, THAT is 100% politics, as is their initial creation. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/3/2022 at 10:22 AM, VKurtB said:

They made it to today by DESIGN. Never forget that. To the extent that many didn’t, THAT is 100% politics, as is their initial creation. 

Take Saints.  Yes, their production numbers changed as the economy, world trade, the Dawes Plan, etc....came and went.

But it's fascinating -- and not very much talked about -- how so many of them survive to this day ONLY BECAUSE They were in Europe and/or South/Central America sitting in foreign bank vaults.  Then folks had to find them and bring them over, navigating treacherous legal and monetary mazes.

How many of today's coins are here because of one man, Paul Wittlin ?  His counterparts ?  It's a not well-known story.

On 4/3/2022 at 2:42 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Take Saints.  Yes, their production numbers changed as the economy, world trade, the Dawes Plan, etc....came and went.

But it's fascinating -- and not very much talked about -- how so many of them survive to this day ONLY BECAUSE They were in Europe and/or South/Central America sitting in foreign bank vaults.  Then folks had to find them and bring them over, navigating treacherous legal and monetary mazes.

How many of today's coins are here because of one man, Paul Wittlin ?  His counterparts ?  It's a not well-known story.

Funny, to me the repatriation story of Saints moved offshore is THE Saint story. It’s not poorly known to me, it’s the first thing I think of regarding Saints. Just one more story of practices used to intentionally evade legal requirements. Remember, to me, “nothing good or worth celebrating”.

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/3/2022 at 6:14 PM, ldhair said:

Welcome. Good to see you hear.

Yeah, thanks. I definitely recognize you! Stinks about over there. Doesn't look like I'll ever be welcome back. Oh well. I'll try not to stir things up over here, too much :wink:.

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 4/3/2022 at 4:01 PM, VKurtB said:

Funny, to me the repatriation story of Saints moved offshore is THE Saint story. It’s not poorly known to me, it’s the first thing I think of regarding Saints. Just one more story of practices used to intentionally evade legal requirements. Remember, to me, “nothing good or worth celebrating”.

You're an expert, Kurt.  The average person and even the novice collector has no idea that these coins only survived because they left the U.S.

If you mention their melting down from 1933-37 and ask how they surived today, most would assume American dealers, collectors, and families keeping a few coins each constitute the coinage.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 4/3/2022 at 8:53 PM, ldhair said:

Maybe they just gave you a short vacation. They won't talk about it but as a normal they should have gave you a reason and how long the vacation would be. You will have fun here. Lots of great members.

Nope. No consideration what so ever. Even for the ol' crowd favorite, CoinJockey73. I had a ton of contact info over there on PM, and i lost it all. Never thought i wouldn't be able to access my messages! It's their site and their right. Just stinks i lost everything. And i really miss the site.(Between you and me, and please don't share this with any other board members but, it's kind of dead over here, compared to over there. But please, that's just between you, and me.) But we'll make of it what we can. Very nice people, so far. 

On 4/3/2022 at 7:06 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you mention their melting down from 1933-37 and ask how they surived today, most would assume American dealers, collectors, and families keeping a few coins each constitute the coinage.

Wow! Who would possibly believe that? Maybe collectors are uneasy with coins that are far better world travelers than THEY are. 

On 4/3/2022 at 7:06 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You're an expert, Kurt.  The average person and even the novice collector has no idea that these coins only survived because they left the U.S.

I will NEVER claim to be an expert about gold coins in any way other than their sketchy legal history. I find grading them to be exceptionally difficult when compared with silver and base metals. Some (guess who) deny it but gold coins are just waaaaay more liberally graded. The softness of the metal (yes, it IS softer, sorry, it just is) leads graders to grade the stuff much more liberally. Who else says so? Brian Silliman. Literally. With English language words. I see so little gold because I actively AVOID it, that when I try to grade the stuff, I’m almost always too low.