• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10,000th POST GIVEAWAY CONTEST - WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

236 posts in this topic

10,000th Post Giveaway Contest

Please don't rag on me because my last 200 posts were basically worthless!

In the (almost) six years that I have been a member of the Collectors Society, I have met so many wonderful people who have been eager to share their numismatic knowledge with everyone. This is truly a great place to be, and you are all family to me. 2010 was a particularly sad year for us with the loss of so many talented members, and I want to kickstart 2011 on a positive note by staging this contest. Thank you!

So, what is the prize that I will be giving to the winner? That's just it! You will have to tell me what the winner will receive. The object of this contest is for you to describe the object that I will give to the winner.

GAME RULES

1) I will give you three clues about the object before we begin.

2) During the course of the contest, you will be given the opportunity to ask three, and only three, questions about the object. The questions must be asked on this thread so that everyone can see them. Questions will not be considered (or counted) if they are sent by PM. Since the questions will be for the benefit of everyone, please don't waste a question on something like, "Is it animal, vegetable or mineral?" I will post the answers to the questions on this thread in bold, blue type so it will be hard for anyone to miss them.

3) Your guesses must be posted on this thread for all to read. Again, please do not send me PM's. You should try to be as specific as possible when describing the object. For example, don't just say, "It's a car!" Instead, you should describe the car as, say, a 1966 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 389/360, 4-speed with Positraction rear end. The person who provides the most detail about the object will likely be the ultimate winner.

4) You will be allowed one guess every four hours. If a second guess (or third or fourth, etc.) is submitted in a time span of less than four hours, it will be ruled invalid, and your "4-hour time clock" will be reset from the time of the invalid post. If anyone should violate this rule, I will quote to the offending post the

following, TIME CLOCK VIOLATION

5) The closing date for submitting guesses will be Midnight (Eastern Time), January 3, 2011, and the winner will be announced at Noon (Eastern Time) on my 6th anniversary, January 4, 2011.

6) In the event that no one has successfully described the object, the contest will be extended until January 14, 2011, and I will give you the opportunity to ask three more questions about the object. I will continue extending the contest until we have a winner, but beyond January 14, only one additional question about the object will be permitted.

7) Since it is possible that there could be more than one person with the correct answer, there is a tiebreaker question that everyone should answer. IMPORTANT: Your answer to the tiebreaker question MUST BE SENT TO ME VIA PM. Your answer will be invalid if it is posted on this thread.

Tiebreaker

You have just been hired to oversee the migrant workers for the August harvest of all of the tomato and strawberry fields in South Florida. Besides English, you also speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese.

You've negotiated the contract for this temporary position to pay you according to the following terms:

1) You will be paid daily in cash with no withholdings for taxes.

2) Each day, your "salary" will double that of the previous day.

3) Daily payments will continue for exactly 31 days.

4) Your payment for the first day is $0.01 (One Cent).

How much money will you have received by the end of the contract?

Finally, before you start posting your guesses, we will take a reasonable amount of time to give everyone a chance to read and understand the rules. If anyone has any questions or comments, this will be the time to say something. I will post the three clues once this period has elapsed, and the contest will officially be underway.

Good luck and have fun!

Chris

"once again, I am pre-mature"

We haven't started yet. I guess I should have included a "Wise Guy" violation that would require the offending party to sing "It Had To Be You" on uTube.

Chris

Wow, I just checked and registered on 8/8/02, so I've been here almost 2.5 years longer than you, but you're about 3,400 posts ahead of me! I am such an underachiever...perhaps another Belvedere and tonic will help!

Wow, I just checked and registered on 8/8/02, so I've been here almost 2.5 years longer than you, but you're about 3,400 posts ahead of me! I am such an underachiever...perhaps another Belvedere and tonic will help!

107565.jpg.e0b7a5b40704b50198841069e60bdf27.jpg

107566.jpg.de209336dc41bf78e035952023db5582.jpg

107567.jpg.2596d91c01d86d4eca20843034ccbab0.jpg

"once again, I am pre-mature"

We haven't started yet. I guess I should have included a "Wise Guy" violation that would require the offending party to sing "It Had To Be You" on uTube.

Chris

It's my military training, reacting to your surroundings...for a demerit, I'd much rather sing "Poncho & Lefty"

Let the games begin!

AYYYYYEeeeEEEeeeeeEEEE (shrug):whistle:
I always enjoy reading your posts but, you can't sing for beans. :kidaround:

That's because he's tired of beans. He wants money!

Chris

Okay, let's get started!

Here are your three clues:

1) The object does have some numismatic significance.

2) I've mentioned it in a few posts within the last 5 years.

3) It is worth more than $100, but less than $500.

[font:Comic Sans MS] Let the games begin! [/font]

Chris

I thought you were going to give three clues then we could each as two questions?

2) During the course of the contest, you will be given the opportunity to ask two questions about the object.

I thought you were going to give three clues then we could each as two questions?

2) During the course of the contest, you will be given the opportunity to ask two questions about the object.

I didn't say that each of you would get two questions. The only mistake I made was that I had originally planned to allow just two questions, but I decided to make it three and I forgot to edit the rules.

But since it is Christmas, I will allow two more questions. ONLY TWO!

Before I responded to this, I noticed that OP had asked a question, so I will ask Larry, "Now that you realize that your question will be the fourth question and there will be ONLY one more question amswered after it, do you wish to leave it for me to answer or would you like to retract it?"

Chris

See, I gave everyone a chance to ask questions before we started. Tsk! Tsk!

Before anyone asks any more questions. My rules did not say that each person would be able to ask two (changed to three) questions. Because of the confusion, I've increased the numbers of questions allowed to five, but that is the total for ALL contestants, not for each one.

Chris