• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10,000th POST GIVEAWAY CONTEST - WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

236 posts in this topic

1882 dime

My head hurts,

today is football,

My wife is on me,

I have a life!

Well maybe the last one is stretching it a bit.

What are you trying to say, Woody?

Chris

She's on me to sweep the dead leaves off the side walk leading up to the house, I keep telling her the wind will just keep blowing them right back. She won.

The 1882 Seated dime was my 4 hour guess...it must be a AU-58 or better!

My guess is purple hm

OP's Note: Shane informed me that he opted not to participate because we are good friends. So, I told him that I was putting an end to our friendship, and he should get his butt out here and play.

See you at FUN! It looks like we might have a full table at the Luncheon. I hope you haven't printed the tickets yet. Increase the seating charge from $10 to $25, and the "Photos taken here!" from $5 to $15.

Chris

Okay why not throw out the so called 1882- CC Morgan Dollar VAM-2c? This is a dollar you picked out of a roll of 19 about 5 years ago with some interesting double circular clash lines on the reverse near the right and left tips of the wreath. Not finding this in your VAM search, you sent the coin to Leroy Van Allen to be attributed. Leroy advised you that this was a VAM-2c and described how during heavy die clashing, dies rotated producing double clash lines from Liberty's head/chin on the left wreath tip and from the back of the cap (where the break is) on the right wreath tip.

However, at the time you disagreed with Leroy's assessment. You visualized the clash lines corresponding to the rim of the Morgan at about 40% off center. If I recall correctly, you wondered if a silver planchet could even damage steel dies. At the time, I wondered if the dies were clashed off center to cause this. Well, I don't think the plachet could cause such damage and Jason made a good point of noticing a lack of dentilation (if that's a word) between the die clashes. Old messydesk (he may be young), reminded you to flip the image of the obverse before doing an overlay and seemed to agree with Leroy's assessment.

So now, for me, the question is, what is it's attribution? Is there an undated Carson City Morgan out there struck 40% off-centerd at K6 as you cleverly suggested? (thumbs u or is it one of the stages of a VAM-2c? The pictures of this coin you provided are extremely enlarged and of a small area on the coin making it difficult to describe it in detail. The edges of the details look sharp and what fields that can be seen look clean. :) I'd look forward to seeing more of this coin.

Happy New Year to All!

Okay why not throw out the so called 1882- CC Morgan Dollar VAM-2c? This is a dollar you picked out of a roll of 19 about 5 years ago with some interesting double circular clash lines on the reverse near the right and left tips of the wreath. Not finding this in your VAM search, you sent the coin to Leroy Van Allen to be attributed. Leroy advised you that this was a VAM-2c and described how during heavy die clashing, dies rotated producing double clash lines from Liberty's head/chin on the left wreath tip and from the back of the cap (where the break is) on the right wreath tip.

However, at the time you disagreed with Leroy's assessment. You visualized the clash lines corresponding to the rim of the Morgan at about 40% off center. If I recall correctly, you wondered if a silver planchet could even damage steel dies. At the time, I wondered if the dies were clashed off center to cause this. Well, I don't think the plachet could cause such damage and Jason made a good point of noticing a lack of dentilation (if that's a word) between the die clashes. Old messydesk (he may be young), reminded you to flip the image of the obverse before doing an overlay and seemed to agree with Leroy's assessment.

So now, for me, the question is, what is it's attribution? Is there an undated Carson City Morgan out there struck 40% off-centerd at K6 as you cleverly suggested? (thumbs u or is it one of the stages of a VAM-2c? The pictures of this coin you provided are extremely enlarged and of a small area on the coin making it difficult to describe it in detail. The edges of the details look sharp and what fields that can be seen look clean. :) I'd look forward to seeing more of this coin.

Happy New Year to All!

The main problem I have with LVA's assessment was, and still is, that the concentric arcs between the right wreath and the eagle's left wing would not be parallel due to a rotation of the die. The only way those arcs could parallel one another is if there was an upward shift of the die when it clashed a second time. This is impossible since the die is in a collar, and even though it can become only slightly loose, it would still pivot on it's center.

Jason's comment about the lack of any appearance of the denticles is not relevant because there are no denticles on the upset rim of a planchet. The denticles are formed when the planchet is struck. My contention is that a planchet was only partially in the coining chamber when it was struck by the hammer die, and the upset rim made those two parallel marks on the face of the die.

Other people doubted that the planchet could damage the hardened steel die like this, but we do know that there are error coins in which a dropped element has damaged a die and produced a number from the date totally out of position on successive strikes of other planchets. So, if that is possible, then my theory becomes more plausible.

Chris

I was beginning to think everyone gave up!

Chris

Dude! It is the holiday season and some of us have family without TVs much less internet access! Plus we need to sleep sometime too, even if we took the week off of work!

For my next guess: an 1882 Seated quarter in VF condition.

Ok here we go again. meh

'82 Morgan-CC VAM-3B Quote from post, "It has the die clash with the "n" from the motto visible to the left of Liberty's neck."