• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10,000th POST GIVEAWAY CONTEST - WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

236 posts in this topic

Question 1:

Is the denomination a silver dollar, a quarter, a half dollar, a dime, a half dime, a "trime", or a twenty cent piece?

Question 2: Is the coin a Morgan dollar, and if so, does it possess an additional designation (i.e. VAM, *, PL, or DMPL)?

Before anyone asks any more questions. My rules did not say that each person would be able to ask two (changed to three) questions. Because of the confusion, I've increased the numbers of questions allowed to five, but that is the total for ALL contestants, not for each one.

Chris

Is this what you feel like doing chris? :pullhair:lol

Is the silver coin certified?

OP

The answer to the fourth question: No!

Folks, like Scott mentioned in another thread, you are misinterpreting the rules as I explained them. I am not answering two questions for each person. I never said that I would. If you had any doubts, you should have asked beforehand.

Now, I believe WalkerFan has the option to have his question answered as the fifth and final question, or he may retract it if he chooses.

What all of you should be doing is posting some guesses. You are permitted one guess every four hours, so quit wasting time!

Chris

Before anyone asks any more questions. My rules did not say that each person would be able to ask two (changed to three) questions. Because of the confusion, I've increased the numbers of questions allowed to five, but that is the total for ALL contestants, not for each one.

Chris

Is this what you feel like doing chris? :pullhair:lol

I know what I'm doing!

is it business strike, proof or commemorative?

Before I answer this, do you understand that it will be the final question for EVERYONE? If you want to retract it, that's fine but I have to know.

Chris

I'll let the board decide. Guys, we have to be as specific as possible. Is this a good question? Can it be embellished more?? Does anyone have any better suggestions?? Let's work together on making our final question as good as possible.

I'll let the board decide. Guys, we have to be as specific as possible. Is this a good question? Can it be embellished more?? Does anyone have any better suggestions?? Let's work together on making our final question as good as possible.

How about you modify the question to the following:

Does the coin have any special attributes (including whether the coin was struck for a specific purpose or event, the denomination)) or designations including but not limited to proof, proof-like, striking designations, variety attributions, etc., or is the coin a standard business strike?

Question 1:

Is the denomination a silver dollar, a quarter, a half dollar, a dime, a half dime, a "trime", or a twenty cent piece?

Question 2: Is the coin a Morgan dollar, and if so, does it possess an additional designation (i.e. VAM, *, PL, or DMPL)?

Okay, now that Walkerfan has decided to retract his question, the next person who asked a question was coinman. If you have been following the other posts, there is only one more question that can be asked. So, would you like to retract one or both of your questions? Actually, your second question is really two questions in itself since it is two sentences connected by the ", and". This is unacceptable, anyway.

Feel free to discuss it with the others if you want.

Chris

Question 1:

Okay, now that Walkerfan has decided to retract his question, the next person who asked a question was coinman. If you have been following the other posts, there is only one more question that can be asked. So, would you like to retract one or both of your questions? Actually, your second question is really two questions in itself since it is two sentences connected by the ", and". This is unacceptable, anyway.

Feel free to discuss it with the others if you want.

Chris

I would like to reword my question and submit it to the board for final approval, if this is okay. I'm in the process of drafting a question now with out conjunctions. I promise that the question will encompass the substance of the previous posts.

Does the coin have any special attributes (including whether the coin was struck for a specific purpose or event, the denomination)) or designations including but not limited to proof, proof-like, striking designations, variety attributions, etc., or is the coin a standard business strike?

That's good but doesn't really narrow my question down much further. The majority seems to agree on year & denomination. Year would be the better of those two in my opinion, so how about: What year is it? Too bad we can't ask: What is the year AND denom.?? lol This is a single question.

That's good but doesn't really narrow my question down much further. The majority seems to agree on year & denomination. Year would be the better of those two in my opinion, so how about: What year is it? Too bad we can't ask: What is the year AND denom.?? lol This is a single question.

How about this: if the coin were to be certified by a major third party grading services, what would the certification label read verbatim?

P.S. I wish to have the board approve it before counting it...

How about this: if the coin were to be certified by a major third party grading services, what would the certification label read verbatim?

P.S. I wish to have the board approve it before counting it...

That is an AWESOME question! AND within the rules. :devil:

Chris just answered my question about the double question. Why don't we ask: What year is the coin??

How about we do a poll, if this is acceptable to Chris. I'm closing voting tomorrow at noon. If Chris allows submission (i.e. I modified the original questions posed in favor of the comments on the board) of the questions in the poll, I'll select whichever one wins.

CHRIS HAS INDICATED HE WILL NOT ALLOW THE THIRD QUESTION. I WOULD EDIT THE POLL, BUT AM AFRAID OF DUMPING DATA. THOSE WHO CHOSE #3, PLEASE VOTE BY POSTING TO THIS THREAD.

Edit: I chose the third, so I"ll go with date.

While we're at it guys, let me say that I will not answer any question that asks for multiple variables.

Like I said before, you all are wasting a lot of time trying to narrow this down when you should be throwing out guesses every four hours.

I applaud your efforts of trying to work together, but remember only one person will be able to win. There are probably others who are sitting back and watching what you decide and they will probably come up with a half dozen guesses they can post in the next 24 hours.

Chris

Okay, I wish to reword option three to the following prompt.

Chris, being the excellent, wise collector that you are, ANACS has recently decided to hire you, and you are assigned to be the sole grader/reviewer of the coin that is the subject of this contest. Unfortunately, the printing staff is out of the office and the client really wants the coin now (you are doing a walk-through at a show, etc.); thus, YOU write the label for this coin. Exactly what will the label read? .

This question is akin to asking how you would describe the coin, and doesn't call for an assumption of someone else's view of the coin, which seemed to be your objection to the way the question was initially proposed.

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, the only variable here is the label (i.e. it is the dependent variable).

If this is unsuccessful, everyone choose either date or denomination from the poll. I'll adhere to that. I won't bog you all down with any more modifications.