• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,893 posts in this topic

My first purchase of the year and it is raw, but it looks much better in hand and the contrasts are even more prominent. I look forward to submitting this one soon.

Has potential!

(thumbs u

Thanks Irvin and Kenny. I thought the skin was cool and that was one reason I was drawn to it. Also, when viewing the blow up at Heritage, the head had full details. I didn't care whether it had the FH designation, as I've seen some with it that looked mushy.

Edited to add: I also wanted a 1917 with the exposed right breast.

Edited by jpcienkus

Hi. My name is physics-fan3.14, and I have a Prooflike Addiction.

This newp joins the Barber quarter I got last month....

IMG_9814copy_zps5a227ce6.jpg

IMG_9828copy_zpsc86b6af1.jpg

Don't know how I missed this. Gorgeous work Jason, on the pick and the pic!!

Hi. My name is physics-fan3.14, and I have a Prooflike Addiction.

Hi physics-fan3.14, my name is nater222, and I also have a Prooflike addiction!

Think I have my idea for my first registry set! Morgan CC PL and DMPL!!

Sounds expensive so it will probably be a lifetime thing but oh well.

Did PCGS short this one on the dmpl grade, or is this just really good photography??

152407.jpg.c1a90794679581f0b47f8f17a8e6e69d.jpg

Looks cameo DMPL on the obverse, but what does the reverse look like? Both sides have to have deep mirrors to get the designation.

I don't know much about photographing coins but I've seen enough super cameo raw coins on eBay that I suspect there are tricks one can do to increase the contrast and cameo effect.

my name is nater222, and I also have a Prooflike addiction!

Did PCGS short this one on the dmpl grade, or is this just really good photography??

Wow! A '78 CC with 64 DPL! Sweet. I think the photo is trying to show off the mirrors. Can you post larger pictures? I'd love to own a '78 in DPL. Nice pick up.

Edited by jpcienkus

I think you'll find, in hand, that this is an example of very *bad* photography. The contrast has been messed with to make the coin look like it has black and white cameo contrast. When you get it in hand, I'll bet it is far more moderate, and deserves the PL grade it got. Ebay sellers will often do this, to try and fool unsuspecting people into thinking they have a super rare DMPL coin when it isn't. Given the right tweaks, I can make a regular business strike look like a DMPL in a photograph.

Love the '42 Wheatie proof!!! :applause:

Good looking Type 1 SLQ! (thumbs u

Sweet looking SMS Kennedy Bob! (thumbs u

Great additions everyone. Really like the Barber Jason. (thumbs u

I think you'll find, in hand, that this is an example of very *bad* photography. The contrast has been messed with to make the coin look like it has black and white cameo contrast. When you get it in hand, I'll bet it is far more moderate, and deserves the PL grade it got. Ebay sellers will often do this, to try and fool unsuspecting people into thinking they have a super rare DMPL coin when it isn't. Given the right tweaks, I can make a regular business strike look like a DMPL in a photograph.

After reading Jason's post, I went back and took a closer look at the post. I need a reading comprehension refresher course!

Wow! A '78 CC with 64 DPL! Sweet. I think the photo is trying to show off the mirrors. Can you post larger pictures? I'd love to own a '78 in DPL. Nice pick up.

Here are some larger pictures, don't have this one in hand yet. When I do, I will take some pictures that are in natural light with no doctoring. Still, paid under book for what pcgs was comfortable calling a 64 pl so I am happy. Looks to be strong pl at least. Reverse equally reflective, at least in the pictures. I know that for dmpl or dpl the entire surface has to be equally reflective and there are areas of weakness at the top of the obverse and a couple areas on the reverse.

152428.jpg.8516c2b9f005e753e9a82f73e527d9c6.jpg

152429.jpg.f5595d341bcf2d51f53ec9da325577b2.jpg

Here are some larger pictures, don't have this one in hand yet. When I do, I will take some pictures that are in natural light with no doctoring. Still, paid under book for what pcgs was comfortable calling a 64 pl so I am happy. Looks to be strong pl at least. Reverse equally reflective, at least in the pictures. I know that for dmpl or dpl the entire surface has to be equally reflective and there are areas of weakness at the top of the obverse and a couple areas on the reverse.

Judging by the pictures accompanying its previous sale, I think you will find that this coin is accurately graded as PL.

152430.jpg.795f409beed77ce42688cd863a486a57.jpg

152431.jpg.762bf2682f3c50cbc3ceddb76e46a6f2.jpg

Judging by the pictures accompanying its previous sale, I think you will find that this coin is accurately graded as PL.

There was a thread ATS discussing this seller and his juiced coins.

Linky

Thanks physics fan and deerefan for making me feel like a newb all over again!! And for the helpful link and pictures. I paid about 90% of book. Think I should return it?? Thanks again guys, really appreciate your time.

Sincerely, Nate

It depends on whether you like the coin. I'm going thru this right at the moment on a coin and sometimes you have to balance what you paid vs. do you like it enough...etc. etc. No one can tell you whether to return a coin or not. You have to decide for yourself.

There was a thread ATS discussing this seller and his juiced coins.

To be fair they are juiced photos not (necessarily) juiced coins...or at least I hope not. :o

jom

Thanks physics fan and deerefan for making me feel like a newb all over again!! And for the helpful link and pictures. I paid about 90% of book. Think I should return it?? Thanks again guys, really appreciate your time.

Sincerely, Nate

Eh, we're all here to learn.

"Paid 90% of book" really doesn't mean anything (every book is different, and who's to say the book is even accurate). Compare the price you paid to previous sales of the coin over the last 6 months (completed auctions on Ebay, Heritage, and elsewhere).

Wait until you get the coin in hand and see what it really looks like. If, when you have it in hand, you still like the coin at the price you paid, then keep it. Just because the seller has bad photos to make a coin look better than it is doesn't mean it isn't a good coin to begin with.

If you like it, keep it. If you don't, return it.