• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,900 posts in this topic

A feast for the senses!!

Beautiful red Lincoln in a cool old slab with green bean.

Mike, that is a nice, better date Buffalo.

That early seated dime looks better than MS 61 with great luster and nice tone, too.

I just found a 1986D Lincoln cent with doubling on the date, especially on the 9, 8, and 6. I saw a reference to another one discovered in 2007, but I can find no listing of a doubled-die variety. Is this just a case of machine doubling?

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/coinfacts.aspx?i=1891836&sid=118689

This coin is currently in the process of being placed in a secure holder.

The population of an 1891 S Quarter in this grade and higher is 36 between PCGS and NGC as far as I know.

image.jpg

If you clicked on the link at the top of my post, the rest of my collection is viewable as well.

I almost completed a PCGS MS 64 - 67 Red Lincoln cent set but decided to focus on something more reasonable. So I started the last year seated set for dimes and quarters (an 1891 business struck set) and I'm 3 coins short from being complete.

Edited by Seated_King

I have looked for a nice MS example of the 91-S Quarter for some time.

I just sold off my MS 61 - it did nothing for me.

I think you found yourself a real "Keeper" !!

I just found a 1986D Lincoln cent with doubling on the date, especially on the 9, 8, and 6. I saw a reference to another one discovered in 2007, but I can find no listing of a doubled-die variety. Is this just a case of machine doubling?

Impossible to say without a good image of the coin, but the odds favor machine doubling.

From this weekends Heritage Auction. Upgraded from my PCGS MS66+RD CAC certified example too this NGC MS67RD CAC certified example. PCGS grades 24 in MS67RD with none higher, NGC grades 8 in MS67RD with none higher and CAC certifies only 3 in MS67RD with none higher.

151518.jpg.9367e4b38a8d97e4131594b70c7a3ac4.jpg

151519.jpg.e318426fcff98c76551ba8dd0b31f5be.jpg

Some very nice items since my last!

(thumbs u

This arrived today:

VermontMedal_Combo.jpg

1927 Vermont Sesqui-Centennial Medal. Designed by Charles Keck who did the coin also. Mintage of 500 plus an unknown number of restrikes. Only six (6) in silver. These came in special boxes and the silver in silk lined pouches.

:)

I posted an Indian Eagle I purchased a few weeks. After sitting on it over the weekend I decided I did not want to keep it and returned it. There were a few more marks and copper spots visible in hand not visible from the pictures online that bothered me.

I just picked up this raw example from a show (my first raw gold purchase) with a written guarantee from the dealer that it is not cleaned, not ex-jewelery, and will grade a minimum of AU58. The pictures from my iPhone do not do justice. It will be very interesting to see what grade it receives.

Well....NGC determined my first and last raw gold coin purchase was indeed cleaned. Grrr...an important reminder of why I never buy raw gold. I have contacted the dealer about the refund. I'm waiting to get the coin back from NGC to finalize the refund - hopefully without issue based on the above.

Since I learned of this my hunt continued for an Indian Eagle with nice (to me) eye appeal. I have found it incredibly difficult to find nice looking examples. I found an NGC MS64+ on Ebay that I would not touch (toning) for my collection and I write that only because it amazes me how banged up these coins are in MS grades. I have never seen so many MS62-64 coins that I would consider junk coins. Wow!

I came across a coin that looked nice to me yesterday (online) and I picked up it. I spoke to the dealer about it before the purchase as well to clarify what I was seeing in the pictures. The small scratches over the S on the reverse appeared to be on the case for example (dealer confirmed). I look forward to getting the coin in hand to properly evaluate but here are the pics. Wish me luck (ha). PCGS AU58

151698.jpg.9a8dd4c848ca4f8951d1248d7c0abb75.jpg

151699.jpg.0675f45d1b488cb45e6a12db511b3f73.jpg

Edited by Matt_dac

Nice one Matt.

On the NGC 64+ with toning you saw: Why wouldn't you "touch" it? Was it because of the toning? In such cases it will depend but many times that could be a sign of originality.

With this series you need to be careful of a couple of things. One is the use of putty. It can be hard to detect but once you see it and figure out how to look for it it becomes easier.

Another issue are the blemishes you mention. If you do find a coin without nicks and hits don't necessarily jump at it...often lack of luster remains a problem. Another words don't just look for clean surfaces...

The one you posted looks nice due to gold toning (slight) around the coin. Based on the photo it looks like a winner! 14-D, although fairly common, can come nice. As does 11-P and 13-P from what I recall.

jom

Some very nice items since my last!

(thumbs u

This arrived today:

VermontMedal_Combo.jpg

1927 Vermont Sesqui-Centennial Medal. Designed by Charles Keck who did the coin also. Mintage of 500 plus an unknown number of restrikes. Only six (6) in silver. These came in special boxes and the silver in silk lined pouches.

:)

nice medal :)