• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,893 posts in this topic

Nice one Matt.

On the NGC 64+ with toning you saw: Why wouldn't you "touch" it? Was it because of the toning? In such cases it will depend but many times that could be a sign of originality.

With this series you need to be careful of a couple of things. One is the use of putty. It can be hard to detect but once you see it and figure out how to look for it it becomes easier.

Another issue are the blemishes you mention. If you do find a coin without nicks and hits don't necessarily jump at it...often lack of luster remains a problem. Another words don't just look for clean surfaces...

The one you posted looks nice due to gold toning (slight) around the coin. Based on the photo it looks like a winner! 14-D, although fairly common, can come nice. As does 11-P and 13-P from what I recall.

jom

Thanks Jom - I look forward to seeing it in hand.

Here are a few MS64 examples that are available now on Ebay. These first two I would consider junk coins. The third has the + designation and the last one has a + designation and CAC. While I love the luster the gouges on the 3rd coin really stand out to me as a detraction as does the significant toning on the obverse of the 4th coin which received MS64+CAC. I'm sure the pros at NGC easily identify why these coins all grade as MS64 but I have been disappointed in the lack of eye appeal even in much higher grades.

151700.jpg.143924f5288536affd8d48073de0081e.jpg

151701.jpg.597db8d251cb73716914286915d924ff.jpg

151702.jpg.39f00071f2e147b344712fc982e94ba1.jpg

151703.jpg.e6b27fe4a5b88bdd5759a30e0bd3d68b.jpg

Edited by Matt_dac

I posted an Indian Eagle I purchased a few weeks. After sitting on it over the weekend I decided I did not want to keep it and returned it. There were a few more marks and copper spots visible in hand not visible from the pictures online that bothered me.

I just picked up this raw example from a show (my first raw gold purchase) with a written guarantee from the dealer that it is not cleaned, not ex-jewelery, and will grade a minimum of AU58. The pictures from my iPhone do not do justice. It will be very interesting to see what grade it receives.

Well....NGC determined my first and last raw gold coin purchase was indeed cleaned. Grrr...an important reminder of why I never buy raw gold. I have contacted the dealer about the refund. I'm waiting to get the coin back from NGC to finalize the refund - hopefully without issue based on the above.

Since I learned of this my hunt continued for an Indian Eagle with nice (to me) eye appeal. I have found it incredibly difficult to find nice looking examples. I found an NGC MS64+ on Ebay that I would not touch (toning) for my collection and I write that only because it amazes me how banged up these coins are in MS grades. I have never seen so many MS62-64 coins that I would consider junk coins. Wow!

I came across a coin that looked nice to me yesterday (online) and I picked up it. I spoke to the dealer about it before the purchase as well to clarify what I was seeing in the pictures. The small scratches over the S on the reverse appeared to be on the case for example (dealer confirmed). I look forward to getting the coin in hand to properly evaluate but here are the pics. Wish me luck (ha). PCGS AU58

Matt, please see my PM response. Looks like a winner. Let me know your thoughts when you get it in hand.

Joe

Matt: I don't like the 11P or 32P at all...you're right. The 26P isn't bad but I'm not sure a 64 grade is good. The last piece (I don't know the date) could very well have putty...not sure though.

Let us know what you think of the AU58 you are getting....

jom

Some very nice items since my last!

(thumbs u

This arrived today:

VermontMedal_Combo.jpg

1927 Vermont Sesqui-Centennial Medal. Designed by Charles Keck who did the coin also. Mintage of 500 plus an unknown number of restrikes. Only six (6) in silver. These came in special boxes and the silver in silk lined pouches.

:)

nice medal :)

Much Thanks.

:)

Probably the nicest 1903-S Dime in existence...

I bid on this in the Legend Las Vegas sale last night

as my friend was unable to bid in person.

1903-SDimePC67Holder_zps6cbe5b9e.jpg

1903-SDimePC67OBV_zps31510a37.jpg

1903-SDimePC67REV_zpse9449a7a.jpg

If you have not checked out the Barber Thread as of late,

I recommend that you do... lots of newer entries...

1903-SDimePC67Holder_zps6cbe5b9e.jpg

1903-SDimePC67OBV_zps31510a37.jpg

1903-SDimePC67REV_zpse9449a7a.jpg

That's a beauty!! Did you pick that up at Legend's recent auction.

Yes - Last night at the Legend Auction. :headbang:

Matt: I don't like the 11P or 32P at all...you're right. The 26P isn't bad but I'm not sure a 64 grade is good. The last piece (I don't know the date) could very well have putty...not sure though.

Let us know what you think of the AU58 you are getting....

jom

I received the coin and examined it under magnification today. Eureka - I got a nice one!

I am very pleased with the condition and eye appeal. The surfaces and luster are nice with just a few light contact marks that are not distracting. Under some light angles you can see a faint rose tone on the obverse. The strike is nice with good detail on the feathers, arrows, etc.

Phew....finally a nice example to add to the collection.

Next up will be a $5 Classic Head Liberty or perhaps a $3 Indian Princess.

A Christmas present for me. :)

For my Birth Year Proof Set. Now up to #8 on the list.

Heritage_1957Franklin_Half_Slab_Combo.jpg

Have a very happy holidays and a super new year!

PS: May help sending to NCS then on for Regrade?

Man I haven't looked in this thread in a while. Some very nice pickups guys! I haven't really bought anything in a while except a set of lower graded proof ikes ats.

I went to the bank today and asked if they had any half dollars. She gave me these:

IMG_2066_zps58e4c446.jpg

The full tally -- 23 MS halves, almost all straight from mint sets, 7 Proof halves, 1 MS Ike and 1 Proof Ike!

One of the halves is fully proof like if not DMPL. I'll post a picture of that shortly.

OK, it's not DMPL. It looks PL to me but I'd love to hear what the experts think. The mirrors are clear to 2 inches, but probably not more. This coin is incredibly hard to photograph. It also looks less marked up in hand, but the mirrors do bring out the chatter when photographed straight on.

IMG_2067_zps8b2065fd.jpg

IMG_2078_zps2aa4efb2.jpg

IMG_2076_zps9ca084a6.jpg

Picked this up for the color. Not a monster, but very attractive.

1887MS65_zps20461a53.jpg

1887MS65reverse_zps7ac94f21.jpg

A beautiful two sided toner. It's a beautiful copper color with plenty of luster. The mark on the cheek is not as noticeable in hand.

1878MS62_zps587d46c2.jpg

1878MS62reverse_zps9fe5e827.jpg