• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,892 posts in this topic

Some really great additions all around.

Alan, when you said you were getting back into the hobby - you sure are making up for lost time. That 1908-D has an excellent mellowed gold tone to it if that is accurate.

Irvin - Is that Augustus Mccrae (Robert Duvall - Lonesome Dove) on that Texas Ranger Commemorative? :grin:

I didn't know they looked that good or I might have been tempted to buy one (still might).

wow - what a coincidence - a 1796 dollar was posted right before I posted my 1796 dime - the dollar is great and I didn't notice until after post - higher grade I think - my dime is a little beat - but cool toning

Nice dime Fran and welcome.

Here are a couple of newps. The first flight is MS70 and the Frankie is MS64 FBL.

153050.jpg.c9396268ae2e8b752509c6f32993d70f.jpg

153051.jpg.7b619723467ed9b560e531c77ceffc52.jpg

153052.jpg.9609a155169c291378328b7bf93dc7d9.jpg

153053.jpg.57a3af5f0e14691b02aa88ffb657e788.jpg

I am fairly certain these are a dime a dozen but I liked the design, the Civil War element, and the mild toning and very smooth device and fields.

Fran welcome to the forum and that is a very nice 1796 that you had posted.

1961_Toned_Silver_Heraldic_Art_Commemorative_smaller.jpg

I am fairly certain these are a dime a dozen but I liked the design, the Civil War element, and the mild toning and very smooth device and fields.

Fran welcome to the forum and that is a very nice 1796 that you had posted.

1961_Toned_Silver_Heraldic_Art_Commemorative_smaller.jpg

I don't think I'd call it a "dime a dozen"...while that particular medal is among the most common of the Heraldic Art Medals (original mintage of 7,700 medals), the estimated survival is likely 50% of that or less. A great number of these wonderful medals saw the melting pots during the silver booms over the years. I believe this series of 60 medals issued from 1959-1978 are very under-appreciated and are some of the greatest privately minted artistic designs. (thumbs u

Here's my example of this design, just for the fun of it! :)

1961_Heraldic_Art_Medal_NGC_MS68_Civil_War.jpg

I don't think I'd call it a "dime a dozen"...while that particular medal is among the most common of the Heraldic Art Medals (original mintage of 7,700 medals), the estimated survival is likely 50% of that or less. A great number of these wonderful medals saw the melting pots during the silver booms over the years. I believe this series of 60 medals issued from 1959-1978 are very under-appreciated and are some of the greatest privately minted artistic designs. (thumbs u

Here's my example of this design, just for the fun of it! :)

Yes I saw that one in another section of the forum here and was, and continue to be, very impressed by your example. Much better definition and strike. I didn't take a very good picture of this one or the other one that I have on my web site for that matter.

I saw two being sold from one seller that were both in the original packaging so I figured, why buy just one when you can buy two. ;)

Robert McNamara I believe designed all of the 60 in that series you are talking about. I read a small article about it and even found a mintage chart for all of the 60.

Interestingly enough I also found a copy of the original ad where they were being sold.

Heraldic_Art_CivilWar_Centenial_Advert.jpg

I think it would be a good challenge and perhaps impossible to find one of all 60 and all still in their respective original packaging which consisted of the medal inside a small plastic bag type sleeve and then folded over and placed inside the outer packaging seen below.

I am undecided as to whether it should be removed from that plastic since I don't know if it is older PVC plastic. Maybe you know the answer to that.

Hearldic_Packaging_Front.jpg

I think it would be a good challenge and perhaps impossible to find one of all 60 and all still in their respective original packaging which consisted of the medal inside a small plastic bag type sleeve and then folded over and placed inside the outer packaging seen below.

Well, it is indeed a challenge, but do-able. I own all 60 medals, in their original baggies, in their original envelopes, and with their originally issued inserts/information sheets. The medals after number 36 or so are the most difficult to find, and particularly the medals from 1977 and 1978 (the last 2 years) are quite scarce. The "key" to the series seems to be the Edison medal (#59, 1978), which in even less than perfect condition sells for around $250-300 with original envelope and baggie.

I am undecided as to whether it should be removed from that plastic since I don't know if it is older PVC plastic. Maybe you know the answer to that.

The little baggies do not contain PVC as best I have deduced. And, strangely, for whatever reason, many of the medals that were stored in the original envelopes and baggies for the entirety of their history have some lovely champagne toning.

You may know already, but in addition to the original 60 commemorative medals, there was a mini-set of 7 additional medals issued -- these are called "occasional" pieces, and coincided with particularly recent events. For example, after the assassination of JFK in Nov 1963, McNamara issued a medal conceived, designed, minted, and circulated within 6 months after the event. Just as an example of that design, one of my examples of the JFK medal is below -- it also shows you the champagne toning that many of these exhibit.

1963_HeraldicArt_Occasional_JFKDeath_NGC_MS67_composite_zpsf8f78ecb.jpg

I'm also quite fond of the 1969 occasional piece that was issued for Eisenhower in very high relief:

S06_1969_HAMSP_Eisenhower_NGC_MS69_composite_zps1afe3f9d.jpg

Brandon as usual your photos are excellent. I do believe that I need to change the backdrop I use to create better contrast.

You have the entire 60+ all with OGP? I am going to start looking out for these more often since it is possible and probably not extreme on the money end.

I think what I like about these the most is the artistic quality. McNamara must have been very talented since I have not seen one that looks as if the engraver lacked the skill or pride in the product.

Thanks for the info. I will just leave the ones I collect in the baggies and envelopes then.

Welcome Fran, and here is a new fifty center from the dark side...

... with a great image by Justin

greysoldier

Fantastic coin. Just a note.... "darkside" means foreign coinage (to be more specific, in case you are a foreigner... it means non-USA coinage ;) )