• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,893 posts in this topic

Thank you winston.

I purchased a 1943 S Nickel for my 1943 Mint Set also. I guess I did ok (money wise)on the Nickel and the Peace Dollar.

I'm sure I paid Wholetail for the halves. insane.gif

Nic-A-Date has long been used to "bring out" the date on nickels that have been extensively circulated to the point of being dateless (like Chad). devil.gif

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

poor Chad frown.gif

I haven't got it in my hand yet however I have good reason to believe it is under graded. Presently it is in an NGC MS61 holder.

Hombre, do you have any Taco Sauce we can put on it? grin.gif

I haven't got it in my hand yet however I have good reason to beleive it is undergraded. Presently it is in an NGC MS61 holder.

Do you have any Taco Sauce we can put on it? grin.gif

I've heard a mixture of MS-70 and Taco Bell Fire sauce in a taco bell napkin,in a microwave works quite well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I haven't got it in my hand yet however I have good reason to believe it is under graded. Presently it is in an NGC MS61 holder.

Hombre, do you have any Taco Sauce we can put on it? grin.gif

I guess they are taking the super weak strike into account.

Spider, I do not mean to attack your coin at all, but my impression of the 1921 Peace dollar is that it looks far too nice to be an MS61 and that the strike is fine for the date. However, I think the coin might be circulated lightly and might really be an AU61. The reason I write this is that there appears to be an area of disturbed luster that corresponds with the high point on the obverse. I have circled this area in red. Please note that I am more than willing to believe I am wrong on this point, but that is how it appears to me without having the benefit of seeing this coin in-hand.

1324662-1921obvrevpanvertai7.jpg

1324662-1921obvrevpanvertai7.jpg.9c2c0d05635d083b7f73acb964688a80.jpg

Thanks ! Not quite sure. I should probably send it in to NGC. It has complete mint frost with no signs of wear that I can detect. Save for a few scattered bag marks that are minimal. A very nice cheek on this one ! smile.gif

That's a nice looking quarter, Hayden. It's hard to find the 1853's w/o old cleanings (or at least it seems so to me).

Spider, I do not mean to attack your coin at all, but my impression of the 1921 Peace dollar is that it looks far too nice to be an MS61 and that the strike is fine for the date. However, I think the coin might be circulated lightly and might really be an AU61. The reason I write this is that there appears to be an area of disturbed luster that corresponds with the high point on the obverse. I have circled this area in red. Please note that I am more than willing to believe I am wrong on this point, but that is how it appears to me without having the benefit of seeing this coin in-hand.

1324662-1921obvrevpanvertai7.jpg

No problem Tom. That is the sellers image and it looks like a scan. I just received the coin and was checking it out when I saw your post. I originally stated I thought it might be under graded, however after closer in hand inspection I am satisfied with the MS61 grade. I was actually wanting an original AU58 when I happened across this one.

The area you have circled in red has far more detail to it in hand than the image shows. And I can’t see any rub or break in the luster. Soft strike

Any who, I'm still searching for that original 58 and thanks for your input thumbsup2.gif

These two Lincolns arrived today: smile.gif

Img22890A.jpg

Img22893A.jpg

I agree with Victor on how nice that "w/Rays" quarter is! grin.gif

Hi Lee – Can you tell us anything about the Omaha Bank Hoard (other than it contained some well preserved Lincoln 1c)?

Hi Lee – Can you tell us anything about the Omaha Bank Hoard (other than it contained some well preserved Lincoln 1c)?

This hoard as you can see came from the Omaha Bank. There were coins of all denominations from Cents to Halves. This hoard as far I as I know came out in early 2005, well thats when I started seeing the coins for sale. As I understood these had been there for along time.

IGWT I sent this question to "Ask an Expert" at Heritage. This is the reply I received today:

"The Omaha Bank Hoard came from a collector who obtained rolls of coins directly from a Omaha bank over the course of several decades. Heritage was fortunate enough to purchase the entire hoard."

IGWT I sent this question to "Ask an Expert" at Heritage. This is the reply I received today:

"The Omaha Bank Hoard came from a collector who obtained rolls of coins directly from a Omaha bank over the course of several decades. Heritage was fortunate enough to purchase the entire hoard."

Thanks, Lee. Not sure that it's deserving of a special notation on the insert . . . but, nice coins regardless!

Thanks, Lee. Not sure that it's deserving of a special notation on the insert . . . but, nice coins regardless!

It was the sheer amount of coins he amassed, that got the name on the hoard.

I just received this PCGS PR63 Barber Quarter from Pinnacle Rarities. As I previously mentioned, I misplaced/lost my 1892 PR64 cameo example so I hope that that one still turns up. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anyway, this is the only PR63 coin that I own and I was just a little leary of getting it since Pinnacle excels in everything but their photography which is always so washed out that it is impossible to adequately judge a coin by their photos. So I get the coin and discovered that it had been conserved (which I didn't care much for) but the coin itself is outstanding! There are very minimal hairlines which are not at all distracting. I have no idea why PCGS only gave this one a 63 but it works for me. If it had some toning then it would be a no-brainer, solid 64.

I had a proof cameo Liberty nickel conserved by NCS a couple of years ago and it has toned significantly in my Dansco album since then with a uniformed champagne color and even has faint violet-like color near the rim that is pretty but not too noticable. But, the conserved silver in the album has not toned at all.

Here's some photos. Not entirely accurate since I didn't set up the tripod or adequate lighting but it gives you the idea.

p.s. I just discovered how to place images side-by-side!! acclaim.gif I'm so proud. insane.gif

1329174-1913ProofBarberQuarter.jpg

1329174-1913ProofBarberQuarter.jpg.5fe5f6e6ab054944f0245e1f73cc850f.jpg

I agree that the coin looks to have been conserved, is there a milkspot underneath Ms Liberty's chin? If so, that might explain the PF63 even though you say there are fewer hairlines than might be expected. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif