• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,893 posts in this topic

This is only my third contribution to this thread, but it is a nice coin. The images were taken in direct sunlight, and the NGC slab is scuffed, so there appear to be smudges on the coin that aren't really there. I'll get better images later. What is truly nice about this piece, aside from the original dark chestnut and navy surfaces that are somewhat PL, is the tremendous strike for the issue. It's an EF40.

I1807N40.jpg

I1807N40R.jpg

Well, the thread is about your most recent acquisition, and I have only purchased three coins while the thread has been running. smile.gif

Tom....I think your coin is made of lead. Let me melt it down so I can make some round balls for my muzzleloader. wink.gif

BTW----That is a exceptional strike. thumbsup2.gif

Nice coin Tom! smile.gif You too Mike! smile.gif Got lucky tonight. Picked up these two. Care to guess the grades if you will. I've been searching forever for a nice 1857 3CS that didn't cost an arm and a leg. These babies are tough to find. tongue.gif

48Slincoln.jpg

26081009005o.jpg

26081009005r.jpg

Nice coin Tom! smile.gif You too Mike! smile.gif Got lucky tonight. Picked up these two. Care to guess the grades if you will. I've been searching forever for a nice 1857 3CS that didn't cost an arm and a leg. These babies are tough to find. tongue.gif

48Slincoln.jpg

26081009005o.jpg

26081009005r.jpg

Well, completely ignore my coin... Your coins are nice though.

Well, completely ignore my coin...

Chad, that's a nice coin to use on a golf course as a ball marker. wink.gif893whatthe.gif

By the way, I think the coin is cool, too. grin.gif

Do you know what the little black dots could be on the reverse? I was going to start a thread asking, but I guess I can just ask here. What are they?

My opinion of what the black dots are is that they are likely one of two things. One possibility is that these are the remnants of very deeply toned surfaces that were removed at one point to lighten the coin up and that these patches did not come off completely, the smear at 11:00 o'clock would be consistent with this. The other possibility is that something sticky, such as tar, glue, tobacco, etc...adhered to the coin at these spots and built up a layer of crud over time. These are purely guesses.

Well, completely ignore my coin

Sorry, blush.gif no disrespect intended on my part. Just a little too worn for my tastes. We all have different likes and dislikes which makes this hobby so unique.

I also needed it to go in my Dansco 7070.

thumbsup2.gif

BTW, it's no worse than my No Motto quarter in my Dansco currently there as a filler. blush.gif

Chad,it's not all about you 893naughty-thumb.gif

A FR or even lower set is pretty cool,have you seen some of the registry sets across the street which were made in an attempt to get the lowest grade possible on all coins,PO-1?