• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,901 posts in this topic

Are you pulling together a Lincoln 1c date/mm set, Lee?

Yup. smile.gif Working on the 09-58 Set. These Lincolns are running neck and neck with Classic Commem's as my favorites. I try and pick up Lincoln MPL's when I can find that at the right prices too.

I've enjoyed the photos that you've posted.

Appreciate It!! thumbsup2.gif

Another one that arrived today:

Img23392A.jpg

Img23392.jpg

Img23393.jpg

Sweet stuff Lee thumbsup2.gif

I love that 45. Talk about booming luster

I can't help but agree with you guy's cloud9.gif

Super reverse on this one:

Img23398A.jpg

Img23398.jpg

Img23399.jpg

Thanks for all the "Super" compliments on the Abe's! grin.gif 2009 is fast approaching. Awesome coins all throughout this thread, "Way To Go"! thumbsup2.gif Here are the last of yesterday's arrivals, all Raw.

Img23407A.jpg

Img23404A.jpg

Img23402A.jpg

I haven't had anything to post for what seems like a loooooong time; so, I like the vicarious thrill of checking this thread. But I ought to have a couple of additions soon. yay.gif

I don't usually post the auction images of a coin, but I got very good word on this one and paid excessively for it, hopefully, deservedly so, and am quite excited about it. When I get it in hand, if it's half as nice as I've been told, I'll post better photos.

Of course, if it isn't, you'll never hear about it again....

219292613_9f9725fdb3.jpg

219292615_9d4ac6de8d.jpg

I don't usually post the auction images of a coin, but I got very good word on this one and paid excessively for it, hopefully, deservedly so, and am quite excited about it. When I get it in hand, if it's half as nice as I've been told, I'll post better photos.

Of course, if it isn't, you'll never hear about it again....

219292613_9f9725fdb3.jpg

219292615_9d4ac6de8d.jpg

Hey Mike...Tell me if it's more like this(I hope you don't mind) 219292615_9d4ac6de8d.jpg219292613_9f9725fdb3.jpg

I think this is my fourth contribution to this thread. This is an 1805 dime. These are quite a bit more scarce than any bid sheet would suggest, and finding one with originality and eye appeal is no easy task.

400_F1805N8.jpg

400_F1805N8R.jpg

Tom, where do you find these coins???? I love it! It's close to impossible to find toning like this, I think. headbang.gif

ps

my coin is an AU58, was told it had 'qualities of' a 64. I'll be happy when I see it if it looks like a true 58 unblemished. cloud9.gif

maulemall, don't see your pics????

confused.gif

Mike and Tom,

Both of your posts make me drool with envy! I bet the Bust Half has killer luster! The 1805 is incredible! It is amazing at how even in lower grades, the eye-appeal is off the charts.

I missed out on a high grade Nova, gorgeous, mega$ for me. I was pissed, then I realized how much money I saved, and then I thought about my own feelings about grade and eye appeal, like grade is sometimes the fools road to eye appeal, so to speak. Notice I say sometimes! So I bought this:

219371909_6b3d433655.jpg

219371910_299764f6e2.jpg

this is graded a VF35, is over 200 yr old and, to me, is absolutely a gorgeous piece of copper. I feel vindicated.

I have to add, that Tom's 1805 is exceptional in ANY grade and even MORE exceptional in that particular grade which has been well traveled and experienced a lot, and comes out looking like that...totally amazing. THAT is real collecting. IMHO.

I'm inspired and on a roll so forgive me...

if that didn't knock your socks off, the high grade NOVA that I missed out on by $50 (geez was I lucky), was close to perfection, I always wanted a really nice NOVA, then I found this, rare date, lower grade, more affordable, GREAT piece of copper. I think I'm satisfied.

219378996_2964aa8224.jpg

219378998_70550d7d4a.jpg

ps; the predominant copper in Massachusetts in 1776 was purportedly the 1773 Nova Constellatio.

Edited by MikeKing

219371909_6b3d433655.jpg

219371910_299764f6e2.jpg

this is graded a VF35, is over 200 yr old and, to me, is absolutely a gorgeous piece of copper. I feel vindicated.

That is a gorgeous piece of copper but, yet, it is not "untouched". Does it make it undesirable and not market acceptable? I don't think so!

Knowledgeable collectors of Condor Tokens and EAC know how to treat/restore/preserve their copper. This has been an acceptable practice for decades. Hoot even related his experience of the summer ANA EAC seminar where they even touched on this subject.

I think that education is the key. I wish that there were more detailed resources on the restoration and preservation of coins. If the appearance of a coin can be improved in a professional and undeceptive manner then I think that it is a good thing. It seems that restoration is an exceptable practice in all markets but numismatics with the exception of EAC.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.... tongue.gif

you know, it's so funny. a few years ago I collected half cents. I bought a half cent from a dealer who runs a major tpg. It was a very pretty half cent but I would never buy it now (I sold it quite awhile ago), because it was cleaned (and I'm not talking about soaking in olive oil) and whatever else they do to copper. It took me a while to learn enough to know that if it came to me from this level, it all stinks and there's a whole bunch of lies, false promises and hysterical hype that affects the masses. Some coppers fare much better with treatments that didn't change the properties of the metal (like the ms70 dips demonstrated on this board), in other words, they didn't turn pink or blue).

This one arrived today and I’m having difficulty capturing the true in hand look. It is somewhere between this image and the next one. And it is in an old NGC fat holder

1921obvrevtonedpan900xui2.jpg

1921obvrevtonedpan900xeditedlv6.jpg

Mike, if your coin is in an AU58 holder then that is fantastic! As I wrote, it certainly has the curb appeal of an MS64 or MS65.

Also, the coppers are wonderful pieces of history, aren't they?