• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

801 posts in this topic

What enquiring minds want to know, aside from strike irregularities, is whether the gentleman from down South would make a purchase "sight-unseen" of any coin depicted on this thread, solely on the strength of the photos provided? I am sure the owner would be happy to attest to the fact that the edge of any coin chosen is pristine, on an accompanying signed affidavit.  :whistle:

P.S.  Anybody remember the time when Yours truly made the colossal gaffe of inquiring as to who it was who was responsible for placing a "diagnostic marker" on a coin?  Yup, dems were the daze!

P.P.S.  Almost forgot!  The gentleman, a distinguished member here, invited to make a guest appearance here to weigh in on the brouhaha which erupted at the time, "Wondercoin," won an award and was cited by Coin World recently in its listing of the 100 Most Influential People in Numismatics. 

Man, I love this place!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Addition of "100."

On 9/24/2022 at 3:26 PM, numisport said:

Looks cameo to me. Try another opinion ?

The provenance is well-established and unassailable.  Any opinion on the headgear atop the letter C in AMERICA?

@Lem E:

First off, this is a superior coin in every aspect: grade, steps, mint mark--even surface condition, suggests this is about as good as it gets! MS-67 is my personal favorite grade.  But this coin also inadvertently highlights a problem viewers have come to know intimately. Photos vs. in-hand inspection.  The photography, arguably top-shelf--and I speak only for myself!--does not do the coin justice, step-wise.  There are steps there--only because I know steps are supposed to be there, but from my vantage point, they are not clearly delineated. I have to trust the professional graders, and the OP, on this one. We have argued about the pros and cons of light sources on this Forum for a long time. Is photography a suitable substitute for in-hand, in-person inspection? Honestly, based on this example alone? Not by a long shot, IMHO. [Time to gas up the old jalopy. Again.]   :roflmao:

Sometimes the steps show well and sometimes not. Depends on what you are trying to highlight in the photos I suppose. Without concentrating solely on the steps, you may not get a good idea of how they really look. As good as any pics may be, there is never any substitute for an in hand inspection. A good look at the steps requires a loupe. 

On 9/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, Lem E said:

Sometimes the steps show well and sometimes not. Depends on what you are trying to highlight in the photos I suppose. Without concentrating solely on the steps, you may not get a good idea of how they really look. As good as any pics may be, there is never any substitute for an in hand inspection. A good look at the steps requires a loupe. 

You're a good sport!  You realize, of course, this absolves, a better word would be immunizes, our gallivanting globetrotter of all criticism in his eternal pursuit of that one and only Special Coin.

All of your coins are magnificent!  Thanks for taking the time to share them with the membership!  :golfclap: