• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

806 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2022 at 4:14 PM, J P M said:

I like Die cracks Quintus.

800X800.jpg

In NYPD jargon, this is known as a "through-and-through"... a crack to die for.  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:

On 11/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

In NYPD jargon, this is known as a "through-and-through"... a crack to die for.  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:

What do you know about NYPD jargon??

On 11/3/2022 at 5:00 PM, tj96 said:

What do you know about NYPD jargon??

The term was used in a non-fiction case book entitled, "On the Track of Murder: Behind the Scenes with a Homicide Commando Squad," by Barbara Gelb, the wife of a notable mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper. 

🐓:  Q has a four-year degree in criminal justice, remember?

[Edit:  While it is possible the term cited above appeared in the 1975 work by B. Gelb, it is likelier I observed an actual example in the 1989 movie, "True Believer," starring James Woods and Robert Downey, Jr.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Remarkably refreshed recollection

On 11/3/2022 at 5:13 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

The term was used in a non-fiction case book entitled, "On the Track of Murder," by Barbara Gelb, the wife of a notable mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper. 

🐓:  Hey tj, Q has a four-year degree in criminal justice, remember?

So you're an educated insufficiently thoughtful person?

Edited by tj96

On 11/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, tj96 said:

Educated? You're not, pray tell, listening to Roosters, again?  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:  :whistle:

🐓:  Where's the guy who discreetly inquired about jargoning?

Q.A.:  Promise not to quote me for attribution? Good. Do not pay attention to anybody that cannot remember where he was when the president got shot.  :whistle:

On 11/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, tj96 said:

On balance, I would characterize myself as "an insufficiently educated, thoughtful person." How's that sound?  :makepoint:  :golfclap:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Posturing for my constituency.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:48 PM, J P M said:

The last coin was Blue this one is Gray

Gray tone.jpg

J P M:  It's a Gray, Q.

Q A:       And?

J P M:  There's a premium on them!

Q A:       Why?

J P M:    It's a gray-on-gray. You wouldn't understand. This is high-end toning... you have to have an eye for it.  It's an acquired taste.

Q A:        If you say so.  doh!

On 11/4/2022 at 10:58 PM, Coin Cave said:

Never know what you'll find on eBay.

I am going to save this post. This is one extraordinary coin!  Too bad it cannot be graded. (The scale only goes up to 70.)  doh!  (thumbsu

On 11/8/2022 at 7:05 PM, Lem E said:

Here are a few old raw pieces I have lying around in flips.C9102130-9A9F-4EAA-BE0B-2A5E95033240.thumb.jpeg.a9c421bdd1e04d7d3dabd604fc8d5b58.jpeg9DBF1B82-C0BE-405E-BCCA-DAE9457152B9.thumb.jpeg.10bc897bf2ddcdbbc1042b04266a4357.jpegCB344370-7CD5-4E52-93E3-3C4B7F301184.thumb.jpeg.8d7da09b6d13ff83e9a87771ef1c1640.jpeg

Is there a standard width size for these coins, and if so, what is it and what year does it date back to?

On 11/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Is there a standard width size for these coins, and if so, what is it and what year does it date back to?

I don’t know if by width you mean diameter but here are the specs.

Shield - 20.5 mm

half dime - 15.9 mm

V nickel - 21.2 mm

On 11/8/2022 at 7:28 PM, Lem E said:

I don’t know if by width you mean diameter but here are the specs.

Shield - 20.5 mm

half dime - 15.9 mm

V nickel - 21.2 mm

Yes, diameter. Wow!  I expected you to say, "Yeah, of course, they're all the same. They're 5-cent/half-dime pieces." Certainly, the Shield and V-nickels ought to have been the same. Just now, prompted by your reply, I searched for the date vending machines were introduced in the U.S.  The answer:  1888 in those small narrow gum machines first installed on elevated stations (which pre-dated the NYC subway system which dates to 1904.  It appears both the V-nickel and Jefferson nickel (excluding the wartime years, why I do not know) share a common diameter: 21.2 mm. Thanks.

On 11/8/2022 at 9:10 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Yes, diameter. Wow!  I expected you to say, "Yeah, of course, they're all the same. They're 5-cent/half-dime pieces." Certainly, the Shield and V-nickels ought to have been the same. Just now, prompted by your reply, I searched for the date vending machines were introduced in the U.S.  The answer:  1888 in those small narrow gum machines first installed on elevated stations (which pre-dated the NYC subway system which dates to 1904.  It appears both the V-nickel and Jefferson nickel (excluding the wartime years, why I do not know) share a common diameter: 21.2 mm. Thanks.

I was a little surprised in seeing the shield and V nickel being a different diameter myself. I just figured they would be the same. I’ll have to put them side by side and see when I get home. 

I understand that the wartime composition (1942-45) five cent pieces have the same 21.2 mm diameter as all others since the 1883 Liberty nickels.  The "Redbook" so indicates.  They all fit in the same album openings.  Where did anyone see a claim for a different diameter?

@Sandon :

T'was I who located the info after conducting a search for "jefferson nickel specifications," which directed me to a page with oversized type, emphasizing composition: Cu 75% Ni 25%, weight: 5 grams or 77.19 grains, and diameter: 21.2 mm, with a note indicating the specs applied to coins struck from 1938 to 1942 and 1945 to the present. 

Clearly, the Wartime nickels which contain silver would differ in weight but by how much was not disclosed.

For the record, the composition of the Wartime nickels is 56% Cu, 35% Ag and 09% Mn. The weight is 4.68 gms or 0.176 oz., the diameter is 21.21 mm. and the thickness is 1.95 mm. Silvertowne, the source of the Wartime specs, also notes the existence of a unique Jefferson nickel, commonly referred to as the Ken "Frith" coin featuring the only known example of a Jefferson dated 1942 with the reverse of a 1941 Large S variety.  A Walter Br**n is associated with this discovery [but good old common sense on my part prohibits me from providing the spelling of his full last name on this Forum.]