• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

806 posts in this topic

I received this 39P REV of 38 yesterday. These coins are not the easiest to find and it makes it even tougher when they are misattributed.  This is my 3rd attempt at this coin. The first one I bought was a reverse of 40. The second one was correct as a REV of 38 but only graded as a 66. The 3rd coin turns out to be what I am pretty certain is a bad set of 40 steps. Finding the right coin is starting to become a headache. Doesn’t look like 38 steps to me but I could be wrong. What do you think? **EDIT** I went ahead and posted this in the newbie forum as well. Not sure how much traffic I would get buried here at the end of this thread.

7618F06D-267A-40B2-88A6-5D5E46A79B5E.jpeg

9723E4AC-0CEB-4104-8D5B-C0AA88D0EF91.jpeg

F33C2F03-B16B-466F-BFD7-F5670B6C1719.jpeg

A5A3346E-22A1-4EF3-8A93-D3F87A5719AD.jpeg

Edited by Lem E

@Lem E:

I got a big kick out of your line, "but only graded as a 66."  Well, exc-u-u-u-se me! And, to show you how clueless I can sometimes get, I saw your references to "40 steps" and "39 steps," and thought, even Low Library at Columbia U. and the U.S.S.Ct. in Washington, D.C. don't have that many steps, and I know he's not talking about that Hitchcock movie, "The 39 Steps."  :facepalm:  (Sorry 'bout that errant tomahawk gash on the first column.) All things considered, a very fine coin with a very respectable, stellar grade!

On 11/13/2022 at 3:27 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Lem E:

I got a big kick out of your line, "but only graded as a 66."  Well, exc-u-u-u-se me! And, to show you how clueless I can sometimes get, I saw your references to "40 steps" and "39 steps," and thought, even Low Library at Columbia U. and the U.S.S.Ct. in Washington, D.C. don't have that many steps, and I know he's not talking about that Hitchcock movie, "The 39 Steps."  :facepalm:  (Sorry 'bout that errant tomahawk gash on the first column.) All things considered, a very fine coin with a very respectable, stellar grade!

:grin: Not trying to be that way. I actually think my 66 is a nicer coin than this 67. 

On 11/13/2022 at 4:35 PM, Lem E said:

:grin: Not trying to be that way. I actually think my 66 is a nicer coin than this 67. 

I understand perfectly. Before I ever heard of market vs. technical grading, I knew irrespective of grade, a lustrous gem with original mint luster was more desirable (to me) than a piece without it coming in one grade higher.  (thumbsu

On 11/30/2022 at 6:39 PM, Errorists said:

Not by the hair on my chinney chin chin. 

Screenshot_20221130-173440_Gallery.jpg

No?  Then how 'bout from your right aye, yi, y'eye.