• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

801 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2022 at 11:45 AM, zadok said:

...interesting info...doesnt appear to be 5 full steps either....

5FS... that's a cold shot! There is, though, method to his madness. Who, generally, looks at nickels?  There was a guy who counterfeited singles. Singles! Did it for ten years. Sentenced to a year and a day. At least Mr. Henning dressed up for court.  :roflmao:

On 9/19/2022 at 1:03 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

5FS... that's a cold shot! There is, though, method to his madness. Who, generally, looks at nickels?  There was a guy who counterfeited singles. Singles! Did it for ten years. Sentenced to a year and a day. At least Mr. Henning dressed up for court.  :roflmao:

There are no Mint State examples of Henning Nickels known.  Also, there are none with full steps.  Henning's dies were made via the "transfer process," so details are mushy.  These "coins" looked circulated from the start.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:11 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

There are no Mint State examples of Henning Nickels known.  Also, there are none with full steps.  Henning's dies were made via the "transfer process," so details are mushy.  These "coins" looked circulated from the start.

Perfectly understandable and all the more reason why his nickels never merited a second glance.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:42 PM, DWLange said:

It was actually members of the Camden (NJ) Coin Club who spotted the P-less 1944 nickels in 1955. I have a couple examples for reference, but I haven't sought out the other Henning dates among circulated nickels.

...i wonder how much the feds spent on their investigation, underwater search, n housing of the gentleman during the investigation/trial/sentencing?...if he used the transfer process to make the dies wonder how he made the '44 NMM?....

Just a couple of interesting facts about the United States nickel 5 cent pieces.

The 1938 buffalo nickel was the last year an American Indian was portrayed on an American circulated coin.  The other is, the 5 cent piece is the only American coin still struck today with the same alloy mix as it started with.  Lots has changed, but the alloy stays the same.

Enjoy your nickels, I know I do.  Great thread.

Edited by Buffalo Head

On 9/21/2022 at 5:32 PM, VKurtB said:

Pretty coin. What’s going on with the “FIVE”? The point opposite on the reverse is very well struck.  

Thank you,
It appears to be a strike through grease. At least that’s the way I see it.  
Thanks again, 

Edited by Buffalo Head

On 9/21/2022 at 7:37 PM, Buffalo Head said:

It appears to be a strike through grease.

Excellent point. A stout material in a strike through COULD enhance the opposite side at that position. 

On 9/21/2022 at 5:41 PM, VKurtB said:

Excellent point. A stout material in a strike through COULD enhance the opposite side at that position. 

I agree with that theory.  It does have an excellent strike on the obverse.