• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A BIG day to celebrate!!
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I love US half dollar coins and the Walking Liberty coins are easily my favorite. I have a lowly 1933 to 1947 ungraded set which are mostly MS with a few AU and it is my favorite collection. I really loved looking at your set. Your 1936D and 1937D coins are amazing - I don't know if it is just extra good photography of those two coins, but those are the nicest strikes I've ever seen on a Walking Liberty and those are hard to find dates - very nice! Congratulations on finishing your set - beautiful!

On 12/14/2021 at 3:42 PM, RWB said:

Congratulations on completing a very difficult set!

It might be of interest that on Dec 7, 1922 30,000 new haves were transferred from SF to St. Louis, 50,000 new halves from Denver to Boston, and 100,000 new halves from Denver to New York. With no new halves made in 1922 it is likely these coins were either 1920 or 1921 date pieces. If dated 1921 it means that Denver transferred 2/3 of its total mintage to Boston and NYC -- where they almost certainly entered holiday circulation. [RG50 E-89A Vol 1. "Transfers of gold, silver and minor coins."

Thank You!!  And, yes, that is an extremely interesting piece of information!!  (thumbsu  

On 12/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, Walkerfan said:

Thank You!!  And, yes, that is an extremely interesting piece of information!!  (thumbsu  

Once NARA gets back to business, I'll see if the 1921-S Cashier's reports are available. The things are a wealth of detailed information about what was produced and in stock.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Interesting observation re phantoms.  However did you find that out? 🤔  

It was a very high profile set. #1 at one point, IIRC.  When it was sold, the auction house marketed the name, so it was not to hard to figure out.  I do a lot of research, so I notice these things.    

Edited by Walkerfan

[Is it just me or does anyone else get that uncanny feeling that @RWB is speaking not from research but personal experience? Either way, he looks great for a guy that's a hundred nineteen years old.]  😉 

Congratulations on your set!!! That is very cool. I cant wait to feel the joy of what it feels like to complete a set. Are you planning on starting on a different denomination now?  Maybe a smaller and easier one or maybe even another challenging set? Im very happy for you my friend. Would love to see that set. Is it posted in the registry?

Congrats, Walkerfan!! That's quite an accomplishment and it has to be a wonderful feeling!  Like my good friend Hog, I'm curious about what you'll do next......any ideas on what your next project may be?

On 12/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, RWB said:

New Year is the party that the Solstice used to be.

It still is a party for some of us.....typically some of us for whom Christmas isn't a party :wink:

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/18/2021 at 4:14 PM, Walkerfan said:

.... No specific plans, right now.  

If your experience mirrors mine, don't be surprised if you're besieged by collectors for any outgraded coins you may still have including a few dealers masquerading as individuals looking for inventory to sell. I turned down one considerate collector who had something I didn't have, a 66+, because I felt the availability of a 67 was inevitable.  I was wrong then and I am wrong now. No one here on NGC has a '13 🐓 in 67, for one reason only: not because it's uncommon (it isn't) but because none have been submitted.

Your series is exponentially more complicated than mine. And, frankly, your stick-to-it-if-ness shows you have the stuff, the mettle needed of those who see things through to completion. Great accomplishment!!!  🐓