• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

Beautiful boldly struck token Yarm, and yet another great photo.

Here's a Middlesex Halfpenny that I won in a recent Davissons auction, a DH-428.

12529_zps2d1be3ba.jpg

That's a zebra on the reverse, not an anorexic horse. :)

Cool, HiHo!

That zebra design got me wondering how many different Pidcock halfpenny designs there are (looks like 23)

and how frequently each tends to appear. Having time on my hands, I came up with the following counts

using Dr. Sriro's CD census from last year. It shows how often each design appeared in his Pidcock census of 563 tokens.

Design Total # # Tokens (by D&H #) on which design appears

Louis Rex 12 1

Crane 22 3

Rhino left 23 4

Royal arms 26 1

Zebra 28 5

Kangaroo 31 6

Lion holding dog 32 4

Eagle/radiation 35 5

Lion "exhib" 35 4

Rhino right 35 7

Dog atop lion 37 5

Tiger 41 7

Nylghau 43 4

Wanderow 43 5

Cockatoo 46 5

Toucan 50 2

2-headed cow *'s 52 6

Eagle on rocks 58 2

Lion "exib" 58 1

Antelope 60 7

Ostrich 94 5

2-headed cow +'s 126 9

Elephant 139 16

In theory one would need to obtain just 12 different Pidcock tokens to get every design, but that's only if every design had been combined with all the others. A little experimentation suggests that any of several sets of 13 tokens would do the trick.

Edited by yarm

Nice bit of research there Yarm!

However the Pidcock's farthings are just as important to the serious collector as the halfpennies and the only way to get the beaver.

Nice pick up HiHo!

Was that you bidding against me again Charlie? :)

Whoever it was wanted the token almost as much as I did. I spent two months of my coin allowance to get it. It was worth it though, and I don't even have it yet.

I wonder who won the other Pidcock, a very nice Middlesex 458 in excellent condition. As seen here:

12530_zps238aceb8.jpg

I already own one but this was a little bit nicer. I was out at $300.

If I was rich I would have a hell of a Pidcock's collection. :whistle:

Yes there was a royal vist, the token marks the visit and a performance of works by Handel at College Hall, Worcester on 8/6/1788. (note the violin and horn on the token.)

Very nice and very rare. Nicer than mine which has a little rub. But between the two of us we own nearly 10% of the entire mintage. (If I remember correctly the mintage of this pieces was 24.) Make that 5%, mintage was 48.

Edited by Conder101

Some of the auction houses have run amok with axial or other photographic techniques that can obscure what a token actually looks like.

(With very colorful or reflective pieces, I'd concede that any single image can't do the job very well, but this is my rant.) ;)

Here's DNW's take on Warwickshire 41 (Brown III) which I view as pretty much a caricature of the token. My head-on images follow.

I'm glad I bid on this piece, but really had no idea what it actually looked like until I opened the package.

Warwickshire41.png

MergedWarwickshie41.jpg

Two Suffolk NEWPS. The Blything is just a jaw dropper in hand -- dripping with luster and lots of red remaining. The Hoxne should be "BN" in my opinion, but the toning on the reverse is quite lovely in hand.

1794_Suffolk_Blything_DH19_NGC_MS66RB_composite_zps42dde84b.jpg

1795_Suffolk_Hoxne_DH33D_NGC_MS65RB_composite_zps177ff393.jpg