• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

I believe D&H thought the die deliberately had the date defaced. Probably because typically when you see the "defaced" die the clashing does not match the obv that it is paired with. So they didn't realized it was just a clashed die. Then later when someone found a 690b that was struck before the die had clashed they thought they had something new. In my opinion the 690bis listing is an error and should be delisted. (It isn't the only error in the 1990 "listing of new varieties discovered since the original book was published".) The 690bis and 690b is actually just an interupted marriage.

What about Worcester 7 (plain edge, clear date) and 8b (plain edge, date partially obliterated? Same logic?

f6c1c837-8bc6-4cbd-acf8-b4a394b1fb05.jpg

Edited by yarm

Here are two 1811 tokens, siblings of the Conders. Posted 'em on the image thread for US Coins but thought I would get our Conder thread going again with some NEWPs. Bought them from Gary Groll at FUN plastic free.

Best, HT

1811Dorsetshire16ShillingMS63_zps07e5aae1.jpg

1811Gloucestershire10ShillingMS63_zpsb3aa16fa.jpg

Edited by Hard Times

My NEWPs from Yarm's spring sale! :grin: Still one more to photograph once I can get it out of the air-tite. ;)

1788_Anglesey_DH282_NGC_MS64BN_composite_zpse6dd367a.jpg

1790_Worces_DH8b_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zpsf3395538.jpg

And, my 4th of this token -- which is also my avatar! I have a little "hoard" going. :)

1790_DH342_Ibberson_exYarm_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zpsf07e8c11.jpg

Thanks yarm! As always, top notch offerings! (thumbs u

Here are my new pickups from Yarm.

Each one is spectacular and I am in love with all of them :)

MergedMiddlesex782_zps47365fb6.jpg

Warwickshire274_zpsa9ea3c3b.jpg

Somerset86_zps1c5c1528.jpg

This one is simply amazing! I was wondering how common or rare the late die break cud on the reverse is?

Maybe Conder101 can help out as I understand he owns a few.

Warwickshire38a_zps5a744857.jpg

I haven't seen that cud before. Might explain why the mintage was only 200 pieces though.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it very much.

I really enjoy the cud :)

While researching this penny token by John Milton (Middlesex 24), I came across a 1903 article by S. Hamer in the British Numismatic Journal

regarding the background and mintages of many of the private tokens within the Conder series. The first token in the article (Middlesex 309)

is an example of a token with a reported mintage (24 in copper) that seems at odds with the number of auction appearances and availability

of the token in dealer inventories. Perhaps there were follow-up orders after the original strikings.

Hamer-Private tokens

00924q002.jpg

Edited by yarm

I finally got around to photographing this token. This is from yarm's spring sale here on the NGC boards. :)

-Brandon

1796_Somerset24_composite_with_auction_ticket_zpsdcc6ce4a.jpg

Once in a while I come across a Conder token with an identifiable undertype. This is a Yorkshire Beverley 13 halfpenny struck over North Wales 12.

Features of the North Wales halfpenny are visible on both the obverse and reverse.

MergedYorkshire13vsNoWales123.jpg

Has all the hoopla re Pidcock tokens subsided? I thought it would be neat to assemble

a group of halfpenny tokens that display all the possible Pidcock designs

(13 tokens) but I want to be sure no one is interested any longer in those yucky things! ;)

MergedMiddlesex4153.jpg

Edited by yarm

Interesting Idea. I don't know if I have all the designs or not. I probably don't, but with 23 of the 45 varieties I probably have most of them.

(Frankly Yarm, it wouldn't bother me if a lot of these people forgot about them. Unfortunately PCGS has announced that they are going to start slabbing them now so we are probably going to see yet another jump in prices and all the nicer ones disappearing into slabs.)

I'm still interested Yarm.

And Condor, you're just mad because you used to pick up Pidcock's for $35 in AU. You were ahead of the curve.

If I have a design that you need (like the tiger or beaver) say the word and I'll call in sick, get it from the bank and take a photo. Oh, wait, I don't get sick days.

I'll do it anyway. :)

Robert Orchard appears to have done quite well as a London grocer with progressively more artistic tokens issued over time.

Here's his 1798 halfpenny by Jacobs (Middlesex 403), struck on a somewhat larger flan than most halfpenny tokens.

MergedMiddlesex4032.jpg

And Condor, you're just mad because you used to pick up Pidcock's for $35 in AU. You were ahead of the curve.

There is probably some truth in that. :)

I honestly thought I could give Pidcock's up. I sold my HQ tokens to fellow forum members and tried to stop looking for them…tried…but they keep jumping out at me. So I still have been picking them up quietly to avoid the embarrassment of my addiction, lol. Looks like the cat is out of the bag! I just sent 3 tokens off to be graded: D&H's : 428, 455, & 1072. I only have pics of the 428 & 455 though…

_57_zps1b933757.jpg

764495328_o_zps1ecdc036.jpg_57-1_zps3894d35b.jpg

A couple new tokens. The Midd-343 is not strictly speaking a token of the era (struck by Taylor ca. 1870), but it makes it into D&H. This particular example is struck in copper, and has a long provenance dating back to the Lincoln Collection (ca. 1890s).

1870_Midd343_raw_composite_zps38aa8e9d.jpg

The Angus-40 (dated 1796, misspelled "HALL" as "ALL") is a nice bronzed piece from the RC Bell collection. I have the DH-42 (dated 1797) in my collection also, but this one was hard to pass up.

1796_Angus_Dundee40_raw_composite_zpsc9f8f7fa.jpg

Cheers,

-Brandon

Nice batch of Conder tokens coming up from Heritage Oct 2nd. Part 1 of the Marshall Collection.

Haven't check all the attributions yet but avoid lot 15258. it is NOT the extremely rare Middlesex 475, it is the rare but much more common 477. I have notified them of the attribution error.

The collection has a fair number of Spence pieces but Only one End of Pain piece. There may be more in Part 2. It also has a nice group of Pidcocks. (No Skidmore Churches and Gates though.)

It's an internet only auction so no live bidding. Some raw pieces but mostly NGC certified.

The Marshall Collection features over two dozen Pidcock's tokens, more than I have ever seen in one place before. And a few I need for my collection.

So no one bid against me, OK? :)