• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

And the pick of the litter, a gorgeous DH-445 that I paid a fortune for...

DH-445slabOBV.jpg

DH-445slabREV.jpg

My photos do not do it justice, suffice to say it was worth every penny I paid. :grin:

Picked up from Failla Numismatics ... a gorgeous Middlesex D&H 979 (RRR, uncirculated). A history about the princess and her relationship with George IV can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_of_Brunswick . More than half the fun of owning this token is outlined in this backstory (oh, my!). Reformated seller's photos are posted below.

Middlesex979-combined.jpg

Edit: Listed as RR (10-30 pieces known to exist), and not RRR (under 10)

Edited by CyberspaceVoid

Very nice and I agree with the attribution, however I show the 979 as only an RR piece. (Possibly overrated, I have an AU piece as well)

"Only RR"

You collect early copper too long it kind of warps your view of rarity :)

You have been doing this long enough to have earned your warped badge. :whistle:

I picked this one up on eBay (with really bad pictures) for $27. Not a bad example of a "Rare" token. I believe it's the DH249 version as the steps point to the "v" (as best I can tell from the Dalton & Hamer description).

129160.jpg.40a4cf0b1c4a106b251d7588c8544231.jpg

Nice 249. It was the 248 that drove me nuts. I spent several years trying to find one to complete my set of all the genuine Lady Godivas (not including edge varieties). Every time I'd find one it would always turn out to be a misattributed 249.

From Wikipedia:

London Corresponding Society was a moderate-radical body concentrating on reform of the Parliament of Great Britain, founded on 25 January 1792. The creators of the group were John Frost (1750-1842), an attorney, and Thomas Hardy, a shoemaker and metropolitan Radical. The aim of the society was parliamentary reform, especially the expansion of the representation of working class people.

In common with the other corresponding societies its membership was predominantly drawn from artisans and working men: early members included Joseph Gerrald, Francis Place, Edward Marcus Despard, Maurice Margarot and Olaudah Equiano. The London Corresponding Society had affiliates in Manchester, Norwich, Sheffield and Stockport.

The society irritated the establishment with its opposition to the wars with France and was deeply infiltrated by spies. A British Convention of reform group leaders in Edinburgh organised by the Scottish Friends of the People society in October 1793 was broken up and a number of men were arrested and tried for sedition. The LCS representatives, Gerrald and Maragot, were sentenced to fourteen years transportation. John Frost received only six months for his sedition. Undaunted, the remaining LCS leaders met with other reformist groups, including the Society for Constitutional Information, in 1794 to discuss a further national convention as well as producing a large number of pamphlets and periodicals.

Read More On Wikipedia

DH-286MiddlesexNGCMS63CFL_zps8e078826.jpg

Yarm that's a great looking DH-415 with the nicest reverse I have ever seen.

A new Pidcock's for me, a DH-442, yes, I finally got the tiger.....

tiger-1.jpg

tiger-2.jpg

And my first ever Spence, a DH-864.....

Spence-1.jpg

Spence-2.jpg

HiHo, neat ones! I'm curious about the collector number on your Tiger token. Is it just ink or enamel or something else?

I came across a high grade NGC Midd 246 (Allen's) which appeared to have lots of scratches in the obverse field. So I took a closer look at my own piece. Here's the obverse photographed head-on and with axial lighting.

MiddlesexAllens246a000523cutout.jpg

MiddlesexAllens246a00023.jpg

Edited by yarm