• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

Well I was going to say it might depend on whether or not 362f (milled edge left) was an error in D&H, but it seems it is correct. So I would think that at the moment the <30 figure is probably a safe bet. It might even be an RRR. , I think I do know of another one. Dr Sriro has a 362j in his collection. (The D&H 1990 supplement lists the milled right as 362j not 362i as your photo does. For some reason there is no 362i listed in either the original text or the supplements.)

Hi Conder101, thanks for the information. I listed it as a 362i in the image based on the classification of the token in my online PDF version of the D&H. The seller I purchased it from in England (David Stuart) had it listed as a 362j, and it's lineage as from the R. Brown Jr Collection.

I was confused by the use of the "i" in my PDF listing and "j" from the seller, but maybe I should stick with the "j"?? My listing separates the milled left and milled right into two separate variations, and the original seller also said that the milled left was the common issue and the milled right was a separate (less known and not listed in the original D&H) issue. The photo is mine, and the text is mine...so, my photo lists it as 362 i/j because that's what I typed. :)

Thanks again for double checking your references. I really appreciate your input.

The PDF version of D&H does list some but not all of the additions from the supplements. (I'm surprised I didn't think it listed any because the pieces I happen to have that are listed in the supplements are NOT listed in the PDF version.)

I don't know what the answer is about the milled right piece. As far as I know there has never been a 362i listed anywhere. It may have been a typo in the 1990 supplement and probably should have been listed as 362i there since that was the next letter in the series.

Edited by Conder101

Anyone else plan on bidding in part three of the Robbie Brown sale by DNW? Just got the catalog a couple days ago. A thousand lots of Conder tokens! Auction is Oct 5th. Online catalog can be found here. http://www.dnw.co.uk/coins/

Edited by Conder101

No I already have a Midd 430 The only Pidcock pieces I'm watching in the sale is lot 1011 which has three I can use, 437, 450, and 451. My problem is what to do with the other 13 duplicates.

My lots of greatest interest are 132, 645, 652, and 653.

I had considered Lot #1011 as well but money is a little tight as my son is back in school plus I bid to win on a Heritage lot of nine Schutzenfest medals last month, my other obsession.

If you do win 1011 let me know what tokens you don't need and what you want for them. I'll work more overtime! :grin:

Well the auction ended about an hour ago. Didn't do as well as I would have liked but I got a few things. (Sorry HiHo, didn't get lot 1011, it went for 660 pounds, $1,188 with juice, and I just couldn't justify it.)

Lot 132 This was a sleeper in my opinion, and it is misattributed. They called it a mule of the obv of Midd 913 and the rev of 915. The reverse is actually 916, and the obv is NOT 913. In fact it isn't anything. It is an unlisted die. So we have a new unlisted die on a silver token! I don't know how they confused this obverse with 913. I suspect this may have been the original obv prepared for William Williams and it was rejected. Note the spelling of Caesar. On both 913 and 914 it is spelled correctly. Could this have been a pocket piece that Williams had struck from the rejected die?

Tokens%205%20Oct%2011_Image1ForWeb_1025_132_w800h500.jpgTokens%205%20Oct%2011_Image2ForWeb_1025_132_w800h500.jpg

Lot 653 An unlisted Warwickshire Wilkinson piece that fits into the run of Genuine Trade Tokens (GTT) that I collect. New obv/rev of War 349. (I question this. I don't think it is the rev of 349. The 349 rev has a diagonal crack from the top of the anvil down to the base of the hammer support. This coin doesn't have that crack and I think the smoke in the furnace is different.) This is also the first piece I have been able to buy out of one of the Robbie Brown sales. (I've managed to pick up a couple on the aftermarket after the sales, but this is the first one I have been able to buy directly.)

Tokens%205%20Oct%2011_Image1ForWeb_181_653_w800h500.jpgTokens%205%20Oct%2011_Image2ForWeb_181_653_w800h500.jpg

Lot 852 Not really a piece I needed, but I have a complete set of the GTT Lady Godiva tokens from Coventry. Now I have a Peeping Tom piece to go with them. This is not an easy piece to acquire. They only made 48 of these. (Tom is in the upstairs leftmost window of the middle building.)

Tokens%205%20Oct%2011_Image1ForWeb_389_852_w800h500.jpgTokens%205%20Oct%2011_Image2ForWeb_389_852_w800h500.jpg

Edited by Conder101

I received my DNW lots today including this "specious" token Yorkshire 13. It looked better struck than most in the auction photos and it is.

3d8c2be1.jpg

Edited by yarm

Stephanie, if you ever want to part with that Warwickshire DH 27, let me know. ;) Beautiful pieces all.

Thanks, I will let you know if I ever do. But I hope to hang on to it for some time to come.

Stephanie, if you ever want to part with that Warwickshire DH 27, let me know. ;) Beautiful pieces all.

Thanks, I will let you know if I ever do. But I hope to hang on to it for some time to come.

I have a bit of a penchant for anything horse-related. ;)

I have a bit of a penchant for anything horse-related. ;)

Its not a Conder but its the first toned one I have seen like this one :grin:

1977GreatBritainCrown-1.jpg

Here are my two most recent tokens. The first is a common token from Kent, 1794 (DH30). I picked it up for $22 and it's in very nice condition. The 2nd is not a "Conder" per se, but it is an "unofficial farthing" from Oxfordshire (Nettlebed) from 1835 which I got from a nice dealer in the UK for $17. I'm really happy with both of them, and they are both nice additions to my ever-growing horse-collection.

116604.jpg.b4825163ab9167af3ded77b29764c5e2.jpg

116605.jpg.c7dd1d1abc85da51d083846dd8c18af8.jpg

Quite impressive haul from the DNW auction everyone! Mine just arrived today. I will try to post them soon, but they are off to NGC for slabbin' pdq.

Best, HT

I have a general question. Does anyone out there know how to get rarity information on Conders - I am talking about going beyond the DH info - Common, Scarce, R, RR, RRR etc. Where is there info about how many of each are extant? I have all of the Bell books, but they don't really help with that, just interesting info on different Conders.

Thanks, HT

Not really rarities but Arthur Waters Notes on 18th Century Tokens has mintage figures for a large number of the tokens. Problem is that book isn't an easy one to find either.

Edited by Conder101

You can determine the mintage roughly by the following guidelines I received from dealer Bill McKivor:

Common... More than 200 struck

Scarce....... 75-200

Rare........... 30-75

RR.............. 11-30

RRR........... 10 or fewer

I am supposing the sometimes used RRRR would be indicate only 1-4 examples struck.

Your mileage may vary.

Here's a Common token, but its estimated Gem Proof condition is rare.

It came through DNW from the Dr. Allen Bennett Collection.

It was probably struck for a collector, and has resided in some great collections for 216 years now.

It's a pleasure to now be the steward of its condition.

Picture4-53.png

Picture8-20.png

Edited by Larry in Chicago