• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 11:08 PM, ShinyObjects said:

1849 $1 Gold Piece

No L variety 

Mintage 1000

Smallest diameter coin ever minted by the US Mint

First.  I love that you are blasting me with amazing coins!  I love the eye candy.

I don't own any gold $1 coins.  Are they smaller than the three cent silver?

On 8/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

First.  I love that you are blasting me with amazing coins!  I love the eye candy.

I don't own any gold $1 coins.  Are they smaller than the three cent silver?

Thank you.

The Type 1 Liberty Head One Dollar measures a mere 13.0 mm in diameter.so yep it's smaller in diameter but the 3 cent silver weighs less.

1851_GoldDollar_DimeComparison (1).png

On 8/10/2022 at 9:51 PM, Lem E said:

This looks to have some thickness on the date (40) and (IN GOD WE TRUST). You might check for a DDO on this one. Maybe DDO-005? (VARIETY VISTA) I could be wrong, but there is no harm in giving it a quick check. Nice looking for a roll find. Where is @GBrad when you need him?

Hey Lem.  Thank you for the nice comment.  I can see what looks like possible extra thickness in IGWT, but as QA said, it could very well just be some flattening from circulation. Just too difficult to make a call based on the pictures. The mint mark placement appears to be very close in its placement and orientation (maybe a bit low though) for the variety you mentioned, but still too difficult of call to make.  Regardless, that is one nice find in the wild!!

On 8/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, GBrad said:

Hey Lem.  Thank you for the nice comment.  I can see what looks like possible extra thickness in IGWT, but as QA said, it could very well just be some flattening from circulation. Just too difficult to make a call based on the pictures. The mint mark placement appears to be very close in its placement and orientation (maybe a bit low though) for the variety you mentioned, but still too difficult of call to make.  Regardless, that is one nice find in the wild!!

Thanks for taking a look. The only reason I said that was because I have a 40S DDO and it looks similar to this one. Particularly the thick “In god we trust” and date. 

On 8/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, Lem E said:

Thanks for taking a look. The only reason I said that was because I have a 40S DDO and it looks similar to this one. Particularly the thick “In god we trust” and date. 

Absolutely Lem, I really appreciate the tag my friend. By no means am I saying this is not a DDO, it very well could be. I’m on my phone at the moment, waiting at the docs office…. what fun🙄…., and had a little more time to look at @CoffeeTime’s coin a little better. Wish I was on my laptop cause these phone pics get pixelated. 

The one thing I have noticed as a characteristic, or diagnostic if you will, of this year and mint DDO’s is the appearance of the E in WE. The bottom bar of the E seems to be noticeably lower in comparison to the bottom of the W than that of a non-variety for this year and mint. Just an observation I thought I’d throw out there. 

The E on the author’s coin does appear to have quite a bit of excess material on the bottom bar which is definitely consistent with the variety you mentioned. I say this regardless of the amount of potential circulation wear that this coin has seen simply due to what appearance to be an abundance of metal there. Best advice is to seek a good professional coin dealer versed in varieties and have them look at it. Best of luck cofeetime as I LOVE ME SOME GOOD OL’ DOUBLED DIES!!!!!😁

On 8/21/2022 at 6:57 PM, EdG_Ohio said:

Been quite some time since I've been around and posted something, so with that being said...with the OT I've been working I purchased this a few weeks back and was a nice addition to my 59' series.
Better pic coming some day but don't bet on it...hahaha.

Got a 25c MS67 59' I'm eyeballing but someone is being very (can't use the word) and at least my bidding is making them go over 30% of it's value...buggers.

4912996_Full_Obv.jpg?q=08102022175826

Very nice piece EdG. Tough date in a high grade. I know these are not easy to find. Congrats on this one.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:26 PM, tigerbait said:

Found this one today at an antique shop. :-) Love this particular year.

1853 25C VG-obv.jpg

1853 25C VG-rev.jpg

Funny, I could have sworn I saw a photo recently of a splendid example, same date, arrows, rays, but where? I cannot remember. If by chance I recall, I'll let you know.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:19 PM, tigerbait said:

Do tell.  I just got this coin today.  I understand they minted 15.2 million of this variety.

Oh, for Cris' sakes! I remember! The Intaglio Mint just minted a 2-ounce version, for roughly $50. I remember thinking they used to be very discreet about their "interpretations," but this one had TWO OUNCES, or some such device emblazoned right across the bottom reverse. Frankly, I didn't like it. (Sorry I can't provide a link. I'm just not that smart.)