• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

811 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2023 at 8:01 PM, J P M said:

Hundreds of collectors crack coins ,That is why a true account  of coins would be imposable. 

I am painfully aware of that but has no one heard of an audit?  What's the point of maintaining a tabulation apparently started in the previous century if it fails to serve a specific purpose.

It's gotten to the point where members have to rely on another individual's instinct or institutional memory.

This isn't rocket science. The technology is there. It's the will that's lacking.

On 10/31/2023 at 4:00 PM, Henri Charriere said:

General cold hard question:  Are collectors ethically obligated or otherwise duty-bound to return inserts of crack-outs to TPGSs, or has the census become too far askew in the years since to matter?

I shall provide my opinion as an opinionated answer to your question. From my point of view on this, from the TPG's standpoint, once that slab has been broken apart, the label no longer applies as far as the NGC guarantee goes. The coin is guaranteed genuine and certified with that grade by the graders at the time it was put into the slab and sealed. Once cracked out, as far as the TPG is concerned, the coin would have to be regraded.

As far as notifying the respective TPG that the slab no longer exists, in a perfect world, everyone would do this and the census figures would be 100% accurate. But we know we do not live in a perfect world. The census figures, while maybe not being 100% accurate, are to me an indicator however of all things typical or average : average graded values, average amounts of a particular coin and type floating around in the wild. I use those numbers to get an idea of how difficult it might be to get a certain grade for a certain coin, by the total amount being submitted, and the grade having the highest amount of graded examples. If coin X shows 238 graded at MS 62, 589 at MS 63, 341 at MS 64, 112 at MS 65, 32 at MS 66, and 1 at MS 67, it tells me when I look for coin X raw and find it in MS state, it is most likely to be a 63 or 64 and I should examine it for that range and start preparing myself to pay a commensurate amount. It also tells me when the seller Joe Bob who has coin X that I am interested in is asking to get the price at 66, that I will be more inclined to walk away faster upon examination of it.

On 11/5/2023 at 12:39 AM, Lem E said:

Got this 85 proof today and when I entered it into the system the reverse image was a Morgan. I thought that was kinda funny.

Then I could only guess there is a Morgan obverse image paired to a proof nickel reverse somewhere else out there. ;)

On 11/5/2023 at 1:39 AM, Lem E said:

Got this 85 proof today and when I entered it into the system the reverse image was a Morgan. I thought that was kinda funny.

IMG_2296.thumb.jpeg.938d562307df6205738568754554423f.jpeg

I have seen this coin before. When I bid on a coin I look it up before the bid. A few times I have found . Half's and Morgan's on the reverse  

To the Editor:

Yes, my previous content was restored, provisionally -- more times than I care to recall -- but, as now, it dissipated into thin air as soon as my back was turned.:frustrated:

Congratulations on your 700th post!  There are an awful lot of extraordinary examples posted here which cannot be easily accessed elsewhere.  And thanks to @Buffalo Head for the fine assist!  Great thread!  (thumbsu

On 11/13/2023 at 8:52 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Congratulations on your 700th post!  There are an awful lot of extraordinary examples posted here which cannot be easily accessed elsewhere.  And thanks to @Buffalo Head for the fine assist!  Great thread!  (thumbsu

Congratulations to you for being that 700th post! I need to get some more coins to Joe for imaging.

On 12/1/2023 at 5:51 PM, J P M said:

I have been looking for a 1958 in MS66 for a while now. They always go fast and for a high price. This MS 65 came up, so I grabbed it there are only 36 graded higher at PCGS and none above MS66+

1958 MS65.jpg

1958 MS65 Reverse+.jpg

Big star coin. Nice 👍