• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

811 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2023 at 8:22 PM, Lem E said:

Been a while since I have made a purchase. Got lucky and found this one. Not easy to find in this grade. Down to 2 coins to complete the 38-64 set.

IMG_1333.jpeg

IMG_1334.jpeg

Nice coin Lem     Yes I am still looking for a MS66 or 67 in a reasonable price range

On 9/13/2023 at 6:43 PM, Sandon said:

I'm glad to see that activity on this topic has resumed.  I've been meaning to image and post some more coins from my Jefferson nickel album but haven't found the time.  

I purchased for all of $5--a small fraction of the cost of grading-- this 1956 nickel that PCGS graded MS 64 in a dealer's junk slab box a few months ago. Perhaps the submitter erroneously thought it would get a "full steps" designation. 

1956nickelobv..thumb.jpg.d45786d0de7180df8bbe7b8280cf4cc4.jpg

1956nickelrev..thumb.jpg.3d5fc26751e4e2ef2e38e6b2da49afa3.jpg

Nice find, I love to search the old boxes in the shops. I almost always get that $5 deal also. Ya never know what may have got tossed in the grab box. This Satin Finish was a $5 Box Coin

2006 D sms +.jpg

2006 D sms Reverse.jpg

Edited by J P M

I had to chuckle at @Sandon and @J P M ‘s post. 
I’ve never, ever been in a coin shop. The nearest one to me is about 115 miles. The idea of junk shopping in a coin shop seems like a waste of travel time. Lol. 
With that said, I have never bought or paid a single penny for “A” nickel. I have to settle for the acquired street urchins like I posted here.  
thanks for the chuckle.   

On 9/13/2023 at 6:13 AM, J P M said:

Nice coin Lem     Yes I am still looking for a MS66 or 67 in a reasonable price range

Thanks JP. This has been one of the coins that has been tough to locate. I do have another one in a grade of 66 and it took a long time to find it. This is one of those coins that tend to have a bit of a higher price even in the lower grades. Several of these 60s era coins seem to be that way. I just never saw them very often. Find one with steps and you will be in the 4 figure range.

On 9/14/2023 at 7:15 PM, J P M said:

I found some southern coins for the set...LoL

1959 PF +.jpg

1959 PF reverse +.jpg

1962 PF +.jpg

1962 PF reverse +.jpg

Nice. Any idea what the Tennessee Valley Hoard is?

On 9/14/2023 at 8:19 PM, Lem E said:

Nice. Any idea what the Tennessee Valley Hoard is?

Not a clue. I did look it up without finding any information on them. I am sure if you have enough money you can have any thing printed if there is room on the slab.

On 10/1/2023 at 10:16 AM, Henri Charriere said:

You sure that's a '69?

It is labeled that way. It could be a PF 70 on a good day or a PF 68 on a bad day ...........Or a very rare S 8661

1998 S +.jpg

1998 S reverse +.jpg

Edited by J P M