• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 5 cent pieces.
2 2

811 posts in this topic

This is the type of coin I dug up in my elementary school garden. Whatever the cause they develop a dark sheen and are accompanied by uniformly consistent irregular wear. More so for silver. All things considered, this is quite a find -- with a story.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:28 AM, powermad5000 said:

LemE pretty much destroys all my nickels, but my 2009's came back.

PXL_20231214_193444512.jpg

PXL_20231214_193432214.jpg

Where did you find the P+D 2009's ?

I had to break down and get them on eBay @J P M. After looking at literally hundreds of listings, these were the best I could find. The D arrived with a ding on the steps unfortunately but otherwise would have been FS. I was unaware that they are kind of a modern "low mintage" until you made a mention of them on here in a post a while ago.

The other downside is I had to buy off of stock photos which is something I really never do. But all the single coin listings were coins in much worse shape than these so I tried to choose two sellers that I thought would have the best specimens. Also, as a note, I buy all my coins raw and submit them.

Edited by powermad5000

On 12/18/2023 at 7:26 PM, Henri Charriere said:

So-and-so "destroys all my nickels,..."

How so?  Why?

(If I may be so impertinent as to inquire...

I did not mean destroy as in literally turn into trash (have to read between the lines there).

I meant while I may have a few nice nickels in my collection, they pale in comparison to some of the Top Pop's I've seen posted here in the forums.

On 12/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, J P M said:

This is not rare but try to find one that does not say SMS on the label.

I wholeheartedly agree there. And they way I collect, I would want one that is not SMS. 

On 12/4/2023 at 5:13 PM, Coinbuf said:

My herd of Buffalo coins is small, but I did recently add a couple of new coins to the corral.   The PCGS TV does the coin little justice as the coin is much brighter then it appears and that carbon spot while certainly there looks far more intrusive than when viewed in hand, at least by me as the new owner. ;)

1923n lg.jpg

100 Years Old!  Nice!