• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 Mercury Dime Error identification?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

The only error is the one made by whatever yahoo damaged that perfectly good Merc, long after it had left the mint. I can only imagine how awful the effect was on the obverse. Normally I would throw in a barb here for not having shared both sides with us, but in this case I'm sure we were spared a truly sorry sight.

Welcome to the Forum

As JJK stated, definitely not an error, it has been damaged. Looks like someone has punched it with something.

In the future, please provide photos of both sides, this can sometimes be important.

I don’t know why it wouldn’t let me post more than one picture but I tried to share both sides, I thought it was damage at first also but was told by the local coin shop it looked like mint damage and that it was accidentally struck 3 times with something in the dies, or the coin itself was stuck, I’m not brand new to coins, but I’m also not an expert, thanks for the answers guys, and for those of you that felt like you kinda wanted to be rude, tell your mom I said Whatsup 😎

Well I would not buy a triple strike coin from them again. Say what???. If that coin was struck 3 times at the mint with a cap die it would look a whole lot different then it does now.

On 4/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, Wildbillythekid said:

I thought it was damage at first also but was told by the local coin shop it looked like mint damage and that it was accidentally struck 3 times with something in the dies

If this is accurate, then the person giving you such information is an incompetent lout, and completely untrustworthy.

Merely a humble opinion..... ;)

I would be very hesitant in trusting the opinion of the person at the coin shop.  Their answer indicates they know very little about the basic minting process.  What else don't they know

On 4/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, Wildbillythekid said:

I don’t know why it wouldn’t let me post more than one picture but I tried to share both sides, I thought it was damage at first also but was told by the local coin shop it looked like mint damage and that it was accidentally struck 3 times with something in the dies, or the coin itself was stuck, I’m not brand new to coins, but I’m also not an expert, thanks for the answers guys, and for those of you that felt like you kinda wanted to be rude, tell your mom I said Whatsup 😎

No one is being rude to you.  I know reality can be a big pill to swallow......don't be so sensitive! 

As far as that local coin shop is concern, don't walk away from it, run away!!

Hmm. Another totally incompetent m-o-r-o-n at a coin shop. Go figure. A total embarrassment. 75% are crooked and 75% are dumb as a bag of hammers. Post minting damage ONLY. Take THAT to the bank. 

Being a “professional” is no guarantee of competence. My ex-wife and “mother of my son”’s best friend forever was Taylor Swift’s first vocal teacher, back when Taylor lived in Wyomissing, PA. That vocal teacher dismissed Taylor as “not very talented at all”. Yeah. Uh huh. Right. She still is the Director of Vocal Music at that school district. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, VKurtB said:

Being a “professional” is no guarantee of competence. My ex-wife and “mother of my son”’s best friend forever was Taylor Swift’s first vocal teacher, back when Taylor lived in Wyomissing, PA. That vocal teacher dismissed Taylor as “not very talented at all”. Yeah. Uh huh. Right. She still is the Director of Vocal Music at that school district. 

I do not doubt that the coach was, and is, correct. 
Pop music, no mater what genre, and talent do not necessarily go hand and hand.

I also do not doubt that the dealer who said this was mint damage is wrong.

As in all things, one must be their own advocate.

On 4/10/2022 at 5:11 AM, Moxie15 said:

I do not doubt that the coach was, and is, correct. 
Pop music, no mater what genre, and talent do not necessarily go hand and hand.

I also do not doubt that the dealer who said this was mint damage is wrong.

As in all things, one must be their own advocate.

Remember, the only requirement to be a coin dealer is the hubris to hold yourself out as one. There are no qualifications. 

On 4/10/2022 at 6:26 PM, VKurtB said:

Remember, the only requirement to be a coin dealer is the hubris to hold yourself out as one. There are no qualifications. 

No truer words have ever been typed. The more I hang around dealers they more I see just how little most of them know. Quite honestly most of them don’t care to know. They can look up a coin/grade in Greysheet, pay less than the amount they think they can sell, and they make quick money. Many have no interest in the coins themselves or even know the basics. They are hustlers making a quick buck. The sad thing is everyone price shops and the hustlers often times buy cheaper and sell cheaper. There is little reward for being a reputable dealer, atleast at shows. Now I only hope if I help people and know a moderate amount of what they need to know it will pay off in the long run. I refuse to do what many of the hustlers do to make money, and they do much better at shows in sales than I do. 

As an aside the show I was at this weekend took up donations from dealers to give kids in the YN program. I paid attention as they came and picked them up, and it played out much like I thought. Those that care about the hobby, and have knowledge/conscience donated generously. Kids are the future of it all. The hustlers didn’t donate or threw in a few worn wheat pennies. The whole mindset is different. 

You have it Woods, As I have said before the real deal is the who not the what. I have two or three go to dealers and they care about what they do. You will always be the tops because you have the passion for it. 

On 4/7/2022 at 3:33 AM, VKurtB said:

Skills development is a key

Skills development is a key

Sometimes even teachers can't rate the skills of the students correctly. Remember my college times, I was the worst student in my group, the most of teachers hated me and I always got low marks. But it happened just because I had my own opinion on any point (I was a too communicable student) and never shut my mouse. But when I graduated, learned how to communicate properly and now I'm one of the leaders in the company I'm working in.

On 3/20/2023 at 7:45 AM, SkribbleSapid said:

Sometimes even teachers can't rate the skills of the students correctly. Remember my college times, I was the worst student in my group, the most of teachers hated me and I always got low marks. But it happened just because I had my own opinion on any point (I was a too communicable student) and never shut my mouse. But when I graduated, learned how to communicate properly and now I'm one of the leaders in the company I'm working in.

I studied economics at Franklin & Marshall College. My professors included a future Secretary of Banking for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and a future Prime Minister of Turkey. They also included the most ridiculous pro-China wingnut I ever met, and a full-blown unrepentant Marxist. (two different people) Colleges have gone full goose bozo lately.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:37 AM, VKurtB said:

I studied economics at Franklin & Marshall College. My professors included a future Secretary of Banking for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and a future Prime Minister of Turkey. They also included the most ridiculous pro-China wingnut I ever met, and a full-blown unrepentant Marxist. (two different people) Colleges have gone full goose bozo lately.

Sometimes even teachers can't rate the skills of the students correctly. Remember my college times, I was the worst student in my group, the most of teachers hated me and I always got low marks. I often used this source  https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/the-hate-u-give/ to get ready for my study tasks, because I didn't have any motivation. But it happened just because I had my own opinion on any point (I was a too communicable student) and never shut my mouse. But when I graduated, learned how to communicate properly and now I'm one of the leaders in the company I'm working in.

Yep, it's purely random. You can be a great person with ambitions but low marks, or a silly Marxist with red diploma

Edited by OhyourSully