• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is NGC's First Allocation designation?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Well, it turns out to be a real thing...https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/designations/

First Allocation

NGC offers the First Allocation designation for select coins that are from the first batch of a new coin issue to be released by a mint. The First Allocation designation is used primarily for bullion coins that are released in distinct batches, often to authorized purchasers. NGC will require that the submitter provide adequate evidence (including purchase receipts) to demonstrate that the coins were released in the first batch of a new coin issue.

The First Allocation designation is available only to select submitters of bulk quantities of qualifying coins. An advance request is generally required and there is a higher grading fee for the special designation verification and attribution.

If you read the NGC definition, this would be a more exclusive designation than FDOI.  I know FDOI doesn't improve the quality of the coin, but it does seem to effect the perceived salability and value in the market. 

BTW, PCGS has also started to market this with their "Premier" label.

Edited by BearlyHereBear

OH HECK IT IS MKIE THE HUCKSTER!!!!  at it again...  saw these last night for the 2022 Silver Proof Eagles.  they wanted $500 for them...WTF!!!  what did the call them  "Advanced Releases".....give me a break why do these people get preferances over real customers..  is this the Tuluia islands release??   Why would NGC give thes there own slot in the price guide?  why are they trying to make artifical inflation where the normal collector has to purchse the same coin in different packages just to fill their slot in the reg??????????  it is Bull SSSSSSSS

On 4/15/2022 at 3:17 PM, BearlyHereBear said:

NGC definition, this would be a more exclusive designation than FDOI. 

IT IS A MONEY GRAB!!!!!  NGC does not need to stoop to this level

On 4/15/2022 at 2:21 PM, JT2 said:

OH HECK IT IS MKIE THE HUCKSTER!!!!  at it again...  saw these last night for the 2022 Silver Proof Eagles.  they wanted $500 for them...WTF!!!  what did the call them  "Advanced Releases".....give me a break why do these people get preferances over real customers..  is this the Tuluia islands release??   Why would NGC give thes there own slot in the price guide?  why are they trying to make artifical inflation where the normal collector has to purchse the same coin in different packages just to fill their slot in the reg??????????  it is Bull SSSSSSSS

You are correct.  AR don't add real value, but perception controls the price.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:17 PM, BearlyHereBear said:

more exclusive designation than FDOI.

Spelling mistake --- not "FDIO" but should be "FIDO" as in dog, mutt, stray hound, etc.

;)

On 4/15/2022 at 3:22 PM, JT2 said:

IT IS A MONEY GRAB!!!!!  NGC does not need to stoop to this level

Well, from a strictly financial perspective, they do. Most of their revenue comes from this kind of packaging - kind of like husking the corn, then packaging the husks as "Fire Wood." All three major authentication companies would have vanished long ago if they did not have a steady stream of special labels and TV/Cable hucksters anxious for the next "deal." We have to face the fact that the real coin collector market is too small to sustain TPGs and all the things they do for the hobby. Hobby collecting is not a growth market. They must have external customers.

That is: if we want the convenience and general reliability, then we have to accept the absurdities so obvious to us, but less so to TV/Cable buyers.  [Same applies to televangelists and their kind - they have to present the old fears in new packaging.]

Edited by RWB

On 4/15/2022 at 12:17 PM, BearlyHereBear said:

I know FDOI doesn't improve the quality of the coin, but it does seem to effect the perceived salability and value in the market. 

Not necessarily. I've been watching the 2021 Morgans and SAE as I have a bunch coming up for sale. I didn't spend the extra $ to have any special label or designation. From what I've seen, these special labels/designations hasn't consistently produced a higher sale price. In fact, several times those with these labels sold for less than standard labels. 

On 4/15/2022 at 5:11 PM, gmarguli said:

Not necessarily. I've been watching the 2021 Morgans and SAE as I have a bunch coming up for sale. I didn't spend the extra $ to have any special label or designation. From what I've seen, these special labels/designations hasn't consistently produced a higher sale price. In fact, several times those with these labels sold for less than standard labels. 

Pinehurst would disagree with you.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dmd=2&_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_ssn=pinehurstcoins&store_cat=0&store_name=pinehurstcoins&_oac=1&_nkw=2022+w+proof+silver+eagle&Certification=PCGS|NGC&mc_cid=acd0e5e357&mc_eid=1c1faf5671&_sop=15&rt=nc&Grade=PR%2070&_dcat=177653

Let me be clear, I rarely buy anything more than a basic slabbed coin.  But if I can get an ER or 1st S for a couple of bucks more, I may be enticed.  An extra 20-40% for a signature is silly.

BTW, HSN is not the only vendor using 1st Allocation.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:57 PM, BearlyHereBear said:

Let me be clear, I rarely buy anything more than a basic slabbed coin.  But if I can get an ER or 1st S for a couple of bucks more, I may be enticed.  An extra 20-40% for a signature is silly.

BTW, HSN is not the only vendor using 1st Allocation.

Do what you want, but don’t come here looking for sympathy when you realize you’ve been snookered. 

On 4/16/2022 at 1:29 PM, VKurtB said:

Do what you want, but don’t come here looking for sympathy when you realize you’ve been snookered. 

Kurt, I respect you, and hereby vow not to seek solace here...

BHB

I prefer just a basic label for all of my graded coins. I think label chasing is just a huge waste of money but some may feel differently. On a separate note I purchased two more burnished ASE's in NGC MS 70 condition (2016 "Lettered Edge and 2018) that I've already added to my registry.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, BearlyHereBear said:

Well, it turns out to be a real thing...https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/designations/

First Allocation

NGC offers the First Allocation designation for select coins that are from the first batch of a new coin issue to be released by a mint. The First Allocation designation is used primarily for bullion coins that are released in distinct batches, often to authorized purchasers. NGC will require that the submitter provide adequate evidence (including purchase receipts) to demonstrate that the coins were released in the first batch of a new coin issue.

The First Allocation designation is available only to select submitters of bulk quantities of qualifying coins. An advance request is generally required and there is a higher grading fee for the special designation verification and attribution. The option to order the installation of a TV on the wall in this company.

Yes, an interesting topic

On 2/19/2022 at 8:02 PM, BearlyHereBear said:

What is NGC's First Allocation designation?  I can't find an explanation anywhere...

It's a pill that gives your wallet diarrhea.

Nice to hear from you again on here @Reno Raines !

I simply won't pay extra for some special label on the slab. Other than hoard labels which I own a few but refused to pay extra for, I own only a few slabs with a special labels and I also took a lesser of a grade to not have to pay extra for that label. It is a game I am not willing to play. It's bad enough next year I am selling my Cook Is. gold buffaloes at a loss. It was another gimmick that sadly I fell for a long time ago. I am older and more wise now.

I didn't see that @J P M. I wish old posts went to a different section as "Archive" and posts earlier than a certain date would have to be "reopened" and given a special symbol that it is an old post. 

It happens to me to don't feel bad, I just have to remember to look at the date. I think a lot of them get opened by internet Bots.