• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these worth $500 a pop…on sale?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

I just got the email for this set. Is $500 going to be the standard price for these? Will be interesting to see how the frenzy pans out.CA58458A-9B60-463C-AFBA-3ECEC5AED49A.thumb.jpeg.007c62eb5c6c401366f8c176a7cdde19.jpeg

Edited by Lem E
sp

On 10/10/2021 at 7:50 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

No comment.

Then why post? I don’t understand the point of such posts and you’re not the only one I’ve seen do that. There must be a point to it, so why not make the point, rather than being cryptic?

No. Plus, it's not "on sale."  $2,895 is their asking price compared to approx $500 US Mint price for all six. (PS: In retail business the lowest available selling price is the merchant's real "value" of an item for margin and expense purposes. Everything else is merely additional profit.)

On 10/10/2021 at 9:45 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Per coin, I think Lem just rounded up to $500. It has a better ring to it than $482.50.

Yea I figured when it was all said and done it would be around $500 per coin.

They're definitely not worth that to me, either, even if I were a silver dollar collector.  That's pretty excessive and one has to wonder what these coins will be doing price-wise at this point in 2022.  Buying them at this kind of a price point seems like a good way to lose a lot of money in the long run.....just my humble opinion.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:56 PM, Mohawk said:

They're definitely not worth that to me, either, even if I were a silver dollar collector.  That's pretty excessive and one has to wonder what these coins will be doing price-wise at this point in 2022.  Buying them at this kind of a price point seems like a good way to lose a lot of money in the long run.....just my humble opinion.

Like Mike wrote above I expect that these will hold value for a few years, certainly into and likely past 2022.    Now five years from now might not be a very safe bet, but then again there is a lot of money in the current market and it is not going away just yet.   I recently heard a story that the Dems want to push another stimulus payout in early 2022, while I suspect that may have more to do with politics than anything else, that would just throw even more disposable monies into the market as you saw from the previous stimulus payouts.    With the current level of available money and the possibility of more; dealers may be able to keep (imo) the current unrealistically high prices flying for some time yet. 

On 10/10/2021 at 4:30 PM, Coinbuf said:

Like Mike wrote above I expect that these will hold value for a few years, certainly into and likely past 2022.    Now five years from now might not be a very safe bet, but then again there is a lot of money in the current market and it is not going away just yet.   I recently heard a story that the Dems want to push another stimulus payout in early 2022, while I suspect that may have more to do with politics than anything else, that would just throw even more disposable monies into the market as you saw from the previous stimulus payouts.    With the current level of available money and the possibility of more; dealers may be able to keep (imo) the current unrealistically high prices flying for some time yet. 

An interesting argument and you may just be correct at that.  

I’m curious to see if any of the Morgans will end up commanding more of a premium over the others when sold individually. I know the mintages are the same for each one (I think), but will there be one that doesn’t grade well or has more of a demand over others. I know the Peace $ is a little different story being the only one issued.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, Lem E said:

I’m curious to see if any of the Morgans will end up commanding more of a premium over the others when sold individually. I know the mintages are the same for each one (I think), but will there be one that doesn’t grade well or has more of a demand over others. I know the Peace $ is a little different story being the only one issued.

I have not followed these that closely Lem, but are these not all being produced at the same location vs individual mints as in the 1800's.   If so then the quality should be fairly uniform across the entire mintage.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, Coinbuf said:

I have not followed these that closely Lem, but are these not all being produced at the same location vs individual mints as in the 1800's.   If so then the quality should be fairly uniform across the entire mintage.

The S, D, & P Morgans and the Peace are being minted at their respective mints. The CC & O are being minted at Philadelphia since those mints no longer have working equipment. 

On 10/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, gmarguli said:

The S, D, & P Morgans and the Peace are being minted at their respective mints. The CC & O are being minted at Philadelphia since those mints no longer have working equipment. 

Thanks Greg, as I'm not interested in buying any of these I had not followed much of the hoopla, I guess then that there is some opportunity for varying quality.

I see it this way , what they are “worth” and what someone is willing to pay is two different things to talk about … there are some people out there with some deep pockets they can buy the whole thing $2895 not even blink an eye or even look for a better deal else where … that would be like my boss who is worth $85 million , to him this would be peanut money to drop to get them all on one deal at $2895 … I don’t think the high rollers waste their time on smaller average Joe stuff … me I would sit back and see how market goes I bet it will drop and cool off after awhile in a year or so 

On 10/10/2021 at 9:22 AM, MarkFeld said:

Then why post? I don’t understand the point of such posts and you’re not the only one I’ve seen do that. There must be a point to it, so why not make the point, rather than being cryptic?

By Special Request:

To begin with, I cannot recall what I had for breakfast this morning. But let's assume I can remember what this was all about. With notifications disabled quietly by the Admininstrator, and/or his and her minions, this is the first time I've seen the topic, question and comment, in two months.  I am going to take a guess, as the only member who refused to deal with the Mint, I chose two eBay sellers with good track words, used a debit card (I avoid PayPal) and now, six months later, have received nothing. The sellers have since sold their goods, and moved on.  They and eBay are non-responsive.  I am going to take a guess and suggest -- now that my gold roosters have ostracized me for being a traitor -- that having scrolled thru the thread and squandered close to $500. for something I never really wanted to begin with (especially after checking the specs and the negative comments voiced by members) I want nothing more to do with them.  My step, should I choose to go that route, is contact the Postmaster General's office.

By the way, do you similarly challenge government officials when they lob their  gratuitous, "We shall neither confirm or deny..." your way?  🐓 

P.S. Edit:  the FMV of those coins has dropped over 50% what I paid for them.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Addition of Postscript

On 10/10/2021 at 9:47 AM, Oldhoopster said:

At least the humble chiffonier was succinct for once

Victor Hugo wrote his publisher:  "?"

Their reply was:  "!"

This remains the shortest exchange of meaningful correspondence conducted to this day.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:22 AM, MarkFeld said:

Out of a sense of courtesy -- buoyed by a message I relieved privately today, I have been "beaten." (Street slang meaning "taken advantage of thoroughly.")

Two sellers with two different eBay user names and 100% proven track records, and the maximum stock legally to order and own, " with presale availablility" quickly cashed (squandered) my money and simply disappeared. Ebay  washed their hands of the whole affair. And that is where things stood as the initial negative impressions came in from various members for two coins I paid close to $500.w/taxes, etc. that I never really wanted in the first place. They were gifts whose anniversaries have long since past.

"No comment," means I believe I've heard just  about all I can stand re this centennial catastrophe. When I reviewed my order, among the things I first noticed was, among other things, the "Ask the seller" feature which was standard on a seller's site; and the fact that I used a valid debit card which sealed my fate. Ebay, sellers, merchants and buyers require you to act immediately. But lacking an expected date of delivery without PayP, my hands were tied.

As far as I am concerned, a stimulus check I wasn't expecting more than made of for my loss. The next time these two anonymous scamsters suffer major losses elsewhere, I hope the undeserved fate they meted out to me comes to mind.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:15 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I saw Rick Tomaska on TV and I believe his (overpriced) price was less but I can't remember.

Nope, I see him on TV right now....xD.....he's charging $2,700 for 6 coins.....5 Morgans and 1 Peace.....all MS70 (NGC).

Philly, SanFran, and Denver mint marks....2 privvy coins....and the High Relief Peace.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, Coinbuf said:

Thanks Greg, as I'm not interested in buying any of these I had not followed much of the hoopla, I guess then that there is some opportunity for varying quality.

Ditto....if in a few months or even years the price comes back down a ton, I'd buy a set.  But I really have no interest in the set at the current price or even a bit below....would rather buy a gold coin, a Saint, or a couple of nice CAC pre-1921 Morgans.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

[I am not a soothsayer, but I predict member @GoldFinger1969 will be in for a very pleasant surprise in the next two years as gold prices rise spectacularly and leading economists will offer up to five, indisputable, entirely credible reasons why. @World Colonial, Not one to say, "I told you so," will sit in Puerto Villarta sporting a Cheshire cat grin. Mark my words!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing.