• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If anyone is looking for a coin let me know I may be able to help
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2021 at 9:55 AM, RWB said:

I lost a quarter in the sofa, and am looking for it. Can you help?

:)

Well I was in the Maryland/DC area last week and hit several shops and didn’t see it. I did buy several coins from Cameo Coins in Vienna. Nice guy and had some decent coins. I went through everything he had and no couch quarter was on the premises. 

On a side note I was surprised to see 3 or so that I called/went to were either closing shop or only selling only bullion moving forward. Gaithersburg coin exchange was only bullion now. Coins of the realm in Rockville was closing shop. I forget the others. 

Edited by Woods020

On 8/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, Woods020 said:

Gaithersburg coin exchange

This place has always been a bullion shop. Did you visit Bonanza Coins in Silver Spring, MD? That's Julian Leidman's shop.

Edited by RWB

On 8/22/2021 at 10:13 AM, RWB said:

This place has always been a bullion shop. Did you visit Bonanza Coins in Silver Spring, MD? That's Julian Liedman's shop.

I did. Is he the older owner? I talked to him for a while. Very nice guy but he could barely get around in the shop. All of his nice stuff was in transit back from the ANA show. He only had mostly common stuff on hand. I enjoyed talking to him though. He knew a few collectors in Alabama he gave me names to connect with. 

Gaithersburg advertised numismatics but when I went in the shop they said only bullion now. And it was a crazy set up. You go in a side door and up some stairs to a room with teller like windows with glass. It was interesting to say the least. 

Edited by Woods020

GCE - has been using the same misleading advertising for years; and the same kind of fortress approach. Went there a couple of time long ago, then crossed them off my list.

Yes, Julian is the older guy with suspenders.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:24 AM, RWB said:

GCE - has been using the same misleading advertising for years; and the same kind of fortress approach. Went there a couple of time long ago, then crossed them off my list.

Yes, Julian is the older guy with suspenders.

You nailed it. He had suspenders. Very nice gentleman. 

Well @Woods020I’m working on my raw set of German Baden state kreuzers coinage this year … I’m looking for Unc. to Gem (MS62-MS65) raw condition. Which I highly doubt you’ll find here in USA (but let me know if you see any) , I’m getting a little annoyed with having buy my coins directly from Germany the shipping sometimes is fast (1 week) then the shipping is super slow (whole month) I’ve seen a snail move faster my list below 

1/2 Kreuzers KM#241 (years 1859-1871)

1 Kreuzers KM#242 (years 1859-1871)

3 Kreuzers KM#211 (silver years 1841-1856)

6 Kreuzers KM#210 (silver years 1839-1856) 

On 8/22/2021 at 10:57 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Well @Woods020I’m working on my raw set of German Baden state kreuzers coinage this year … I’m looking for Unc. to Gem (MS62-MS65) raw condition. Which I highly doubt you’ll find here in USA (but let me know if you see any) , I’m getting a little annoyed with having buy my coins directly from Germany the shipping sometimes is fast (1 week) then the shipping is super slow (whole month) I’ve seen a snail move faster my list below 

1/2 Kreuzers KM#241 (years 1859-1871)

1 Kreuzers KM#242 (years 1859-1871)

3 Kreuzers KM#211 (silver years 1841-1856)

6 Kreuzers KM#210 (silver years 1839-1856) 

I’ll be glad to keep an eye out

@Woods020

Very kind offer!

After @Walkerfan announced the completion of his set, and gave a sigh of relief on a tedious job well done, I appraised my own standing elsewhere and was reminded of the actor who wanted to become the top pool player on an old episode of the Twilight Zone.  He did, but overlooked the fact that winning is just the beginning.  Now he had to defend his title...

Few collectors get to complete a set with top pop; none finer, and I was very pleased to hear @Walkerfan is satisfied with what he has.  But, human nature being what it is, the runner-up behind me at #2 lags by only a point or two at PCGS and there is no doubt the #3 here will amass the finest collection of 🐓 known to man,  ensconced as I believe he is, in a major California coin outlet. 

I am "retired" to some extent.  If a 20-franc gold rooster comes along, I will acquire it only to cement my standing.  @Walkerfan may publicly state the same thing but, like me, the concept is buried deep in his subconscious and there is no telling what he or I may acquiesce to. I don't think that there is anyone anywhere who is unaware of The Rooster Guy.  Nevertheless, I thank you for your generous offer of keeping fellow collectors in mind.  (thumbsu

On 12/15/2021 at 11:03 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm in the market for a 1933 Saint-Gaudens.  I'm willing to go over spot bullion for a nice one.

Let me know what you find. xD

If that's all you want, you have nothing to fear.  Every one of these practically unique coins which, when available, are auctioned off with massive publicity. None will gavel off in my lifetime, but a whippersnapper like you stands a chance.  There' not much you can do with one exception: look at it.  I hope you don't develop myopia from prolonged examination. 

Note:  I get the joke.  live like the guy carrying a tin cup and a sign reading, "Alms for the poor," but if fortunes change on my end and I win a lottery or something, I've got both you and @RWB in mind.  I like enuthiasm and understand the importance of serious scholarship.  (thumbsu

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: add a colon, elaborate.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

If that's all you want, you have nothing to fear.  Every one of these practically unique coins which, when available, are auctioned off with massive publicity. None will gavel off in my lifetime, but a whippersnapper like you stands a chance.  There' not much you can do with one exception: look at it.  I hope you don't develop myopia from prolonged examination. 

Note:  I get the joke.  live like the guy carrying a tin cup and a sign reading, "Alms for the poor," but if fortunes change on my end and I win a lottery or something, I've got both you and @RWB in mind.  I like enuthiasm and understand the importance of serious scholarship.  (thumbsu

GoldFinger should make a formal offer to the Smithsonian. See what they say. Then check with the Mint, the Secret Service, the U.S. Attorney at Philadelphia, and the Justice Department HQ. They might have some wisdom to share also.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:17 PM, VKurtB said:

GoldFinger should make a formal offer to the Smithsonian. See what they say. Then check with the Mint, the Secret Service, the U.S. Attorney at Philadelphia, and the Justice Department HQ. They might have some wisdom to share also.

...dont put him thru all that misery, ill just sell him one of mine.....

On 12/16/2021 at 9:09 PM, zadok said:

Very kind of you, sir!  No need for a buyer's premium or sales tax.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:09 PM, zadok said:

You own a Chinese err, umm, “private mint”? So YOU’RE the guy.

...also....I can't find my car keys. Last time I had them was next to my cell phone -- which I can't find either. Maybe the OP can help.....?

Opps....just remembered - my car doesn't have keys any more; and the cell phone is in my shirt pocket. Boy, that was quick work Mr. Woods!

Edited by RWB

On 12/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, VKurtB said:

You own a Chinese err, umm, “private mint”? So YOU’RE the guy.

...nah i just buy rare coin cufflink sets...first it was the brasher gold coins n then the '04 dollar pair n then the '33 saints...just never ends n how many times do u wear french cuffs anyway?....

On 12/17/2021 at 10:41 PM, zadok said:

...nah i just buy rare coin cufflink sets...first it was the brasher gold coins n then the '04 dollar pair n then the '33 saints...just never ends n how many times do u wear french cuffs anyway?....

I wear French cuffs at most ANA banquets, WITH British 3 pence cuff links.

On 12/18/2021 at 1:43 PM, VKurtB said:

I wear French cuffs at most ANA banquets, WITH British 3 pence cuff links.

...i guess that makes u a half shilling guy.....