• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who all collects NGC modern commemorative coins

18 posts in this topic

I don’t come on here much , I been thinking about taking a break from my Morgan, Mercury, walker , classic commemorative , world coins , and start collecting something “modern” commemorative coins $1 silver coins  I’m gonna try get them all in NGC which should easy in grade MS69 and PF69 ... I’m not Interested buying MS70 and PF70 I don’t see a difference in 69 VS 70 at all other than price tag difference .I’m not in for registry set or looking for money I just like the designs each year issue something different to collect for fun was just curious if anyone else been collecting the same ? 

Edited by Jason Abshier

I used to see them at shows all time on dealer tables I use to pass them up never bothered to stop see what they really look like ,they would make a pretty cool series of coins to put together they are plentiful in MS69 and PF69 grade just a little over melt price not so bad given a lot of them have a lower mintage compared to yearly ASE issue ... Maybe 30-40 years from now they will be appreciated more who knows 

Edited by Jason Abshier

Are we talking about NGC-slabbed U.S. Mint stuff like ASE's which technically could be used in commerce....or private stock "coins" like the National Park Foundation Saint-Gaudens Commemoratives ?

5 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Are we talking about NGC-slabbed U.S. Mint stuff like ASE's which technically could be used in commerce....or private stock "coins" like the National Park Foundation Saint-Gaudens Commemoratives ?

I was talking about the yearly business strike/proof strike commemorative silver dollars 1983-present 

17 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

I was talking about the yearly business strike/proof strike commemorative silver dollars 1983-present 

Gotcha....I have a few....I buy 'em every now and then....I love the NGC slabs and labels.....but since I am basically buying 1 oz. of silver in a PF69 or PF70 condition, I also look at stuff like the National Park Saint-Gaudens commemoratives and the Wedge-Tailed Eagle coins.  Plus an occasional odd and end minted by the Royal Mint, UK Mint, or Perth Mint.

7 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Gotcha....I have a few....I buy 'em every now and then....I love the NGC slabs and labels.....but since I am basically buying 1 oz. of silver in a PF69 or PF70 condition, I also look at stuff like the National Park Saint-Gaudens commemoratives and the Wedge-Tailed Eagle coins.  Plus an occasional odd and end minted by the Royal Mint, UK Mint, or Perth Mint.

I have couple coins from Perth mint they make some odd cool stuff ! I got 1 graded by PCGS a Tuvalu rotating “good luck” charm with rotating ball in middle of the coin , also have “ying yang” rotating charm as well I haven’t sent them for grading yet maybe some day . I rarely dabble my feet in the modern coin market ... yeah, yeah I know it’s a PCGS coin it would look better in an NGC holder for sure 

AEEE4820-1FDF-43A4-B078-B430D11D004F.jpeg

47E453B1-45D3-4FB9-81FA-60384B651659.jpeg

Edited by Jason Abshier

That is a beautiful coin Jason .. Does it have to be Graded and in a slab to be a 68,69 or 70. Just thought I would ask .I have a commemorative from the mint in it's own case would it be considered MS 67 or higher in anyone here's opinion.   

2010 Boy Scouts 100 year.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Boy Scout coin is a nice design I like that one , if you send it in probably get MS69 as most are but hey if I wanted a 70 grade that bad , I buy 69 put a small piece of white tape over grade write 70 on it put it under my pillow it helps me sleep better at night knowing I’m part of the “70’s collector’s club” ... 

53 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

That is a beautiful coin Jason .. Does it have to be Graded and in a slab to be a 68,69 or 70. Just thought I would ask .I have a commemorative from the mint in it's own case would it be considered MS 67 or higher in anyone here's opinion.   

2010 Boy Scouts 100 year.jpg

My Tuvalu coin doesn’t have to be graded , I like my coins in slabs I bought my good luck charm in slab at that time for $80 it came with 70 grade I couldn’t find any in 69 grade not that grade mattered to me I got the box and papers with it as well .... as for modern commemorative coins I just started collecting them I’m only get them in NGC 69 grades (I can’t see myself sending them in raw for grading when I can get most of them for under $50) save myself hassle I just buy them graded ,so far I got 1983 Olympic set P, D, S and S proof gonna take me awhile probably a good few years to collect all 140+ coins from 1983-2021 . I’m just collecting them for fun taking a break from collecting my classic series of Morgan’s , walkers ,Mercury dimes and world coins 

Edited by Jason Abshier

4 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

I collect the Perth Mint swans.  I also have the pair of 2016 Liberty medals and the recent V75 75th Anniversary of the end of WW2.  (Not the eagle). 

The v75 is very beautiful isn't it? I got one of them to. I love it. I was lucky enough to get the ASE also. They are both certified and I got a 2 slab case to keep them both together in. I also got a lords prayer dog tag from ww2 I found while medal detecting I keep with them. 

13 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

The v75 is very beautiful isn't it? I got one of them to. I love it. I was lucky enough to get the ASE also. They are both certified and I got a 2 slab case to keep them both together in. I also got a lords prayer dog tag from ww2 I found while medal detecting I keep with them. 

I was fortunate enough to get two of the eagles (had a friend at work purchase one as well) but the prices they were getting right after release were too tempting not to take advantage of.  

2 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

I was fortunate enough to get two of the eagles (had a friend at work purchase one as well) but the prices they were getting right after release were too tempting not to take advantage of.  

Alot of people made a good little profit. I kinda wish I had to before the price dropped back down.