• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just "Ignored" someone for the first time.
2 2

251 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2022 at 8:29 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Some showboating and grandstanding noted as well as an admission of stalking. "Ever since he's been reinstated." Well, I never! Who is "taunting the moderators"? I am simply stating a fact! I never, not once, said I am "in trouble with admins." Only "moi" can see the warning ⚠️ points. I am, figuratively speaking, on a short leash. Now are you quite ready to move on and talk about coins? Heaven's to Betsy!] 

Are you ready to talk about coins?  

There have been at least 5-6 times since your reinstatement where I have SPECIFICALLY asked that you STOP referring either directly or indirectly to me as a member who is telling you what you can and cannot say, asking for permission to post, and/or responsible for an underground group trying to get you banned.  It is insulting, especially coming from someone with your credibility and demonstrated numismatic knowledge. 

ALL of these requests were non-confrontational and professional.

Why did you feel it was need to ignore them?  Do you think that showboating and grandstanding (your terms), helps answer questions from new members?  Does showboating and grandstanding help explain errors and the minting process?  Does showboating and grandstanding help disseminate new discovers and historical information?  Or do you have such low regard for this forum and its members that you enjoy stirring up trouble? 

FYI. In all the years on a variety of forums, I have never put someone on ignore. It's not starting now.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:25 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Are you ready to talk about coins?  

There have been at least 5-6 times since your reinstatement where I have SPECIFICALLY asked that you STOP referring either directly or indirectly to me as a member who is telling you what you can and cannot say, asking for permission to post, and/or responsible for an underground group trying to get you banned.  It is insulting, especially coming from someone with your credibility and demonstrated numismatic knowledge. 

ALL of these requests were non-confrontational and professional.

Why did you feel it was need to ignore them?  Do you think that showboating and grandstanding (your terms), helps answer questions from new members?  Does showboating and grandstanding help explain errors and the minting process?  Does showboating and grandstanding help disseminate new discovers and historical information?  Or do you have such low regard for this forum and its members that you enjoy stirring up trouble? 

FYI. In all the years on a variety of forums, I have never put someone on ignore. It's not starting now.

...hoop, i think u r wasting ur breath or p.... into the wind, for whatever reason he has slipped into a realm of non-acknowledgement of what his actions entail, the actual purpose of the forum has become secondary or none existent to whatever satisfaction he now receives from actually searching for irritating threads, subjects, comments etc...for instance, he has not mentioned or discussed once anything about a coin or coin collecting since he has fallen under the influence of a recent forum member that espouses the same garbage, its as if he is feeding off the negative n false bravado thats being fed to him...truly sad n as u stated sadder still since coming from a previously demonstrated numismatic mind...to go from speaking knowledgeable about registry winning roosters to applauding obvious dealers cull box finds is depressing n a loss to the forum...i for one have decided to just ignore n pass over n cease any future comments....

On 9/13/2022 at 9:51 PM, zadok said:

...hoop, i think u r wasting ur breath or p.... into the wind, for whatever reason he has slipped into a realm of non-acknowledgement of what his actions entail, the actual purpose of the forum has become secondary or none existent to whatever satisfaction he now receives from actually searching for irritating threads, subjects, comments etc...for instance, he has not mentioned or discussed once anything about a coin or coin collecting since he has fallen under the influence of a recent forum member that espouses the same garbage, its as if he is feeding off the negative n false bravado thats being fed to him...truly sad n as u stated sadder still since coming from a previously demonstrated numismatic mind...to go from speaking knowledgeable about registry winning roosters to applauding obvious dealers cull box finds is depressing n a loss to the forum...i for one have decided to just ignore n pass over n cease any future comments....

Good riddance to bad rubbish, i think someone said once. Adios, punk. 

(Cull box finds? Look who can't keep away, female dog!)

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 9/13/2022 at 9:25 PM, Oldhoopster said:

[I am going to check the latest edition of the DSM-5.  There is a formal name for this intransigence.] 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Provide the latest edition of reference cited.

Boy oh boy @Quintus Arrius, it sure saddens me to hear that some members who have to share registry sets will no longer be following us. Finally going to use that ignore button. About time. Tired of reporting my posts, begging for them to be taken down, only to not be taken seriously because i haven't done anything wrong? Waaaaaaaaaah! Go cry somewhere else, you big word abbreviating baby. Grow up. Not you Q.A., i like you. I hope you'll stick around. 

Edited by CoinJockey73

@CoinJockey73:

My pride and joy, this thread lying dormant, with a wonderful cast of memorable characters, many no longer with us, has been irretrievably stomped on, shredded and desecrated. What for me had been a labor of love--confined to just this thread long since forsaken--has been reduced to a barren wasteland by interlopers whose motives I seriously question. Any reasonable person can see the OP, apparently detested by some and loved by one, has moved on to other pursuits. How, pray tell, has all come to naught in an eyeblink?  There are those who are perfectly capable of accommodating a divergent viewpoint, but steadfastly refuse to.  Hard to believe a self-appointed hall monitor can invade a desolate place and issue orders! ORDERS!!  A VACATE ORDER, NO LESS!!!

My apologies to Dena Skeffington. I am hereby relinquishing whatever claim I believed I had in excavating this thread and sharing my finds with the few interested members who understand me and the significance of my "discovery." I am abandoning this thread forthwith and sincerely apologize to all members for the unintended distraction. @CoinJockey73:  I am moving my base of operations to your thread with the topic title paying homage to a bonafide certified numismatist. I may even take you up on your offer to share my treasures with you. I bid all a good nite and a good-nite to all!  🐓 

On 9/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@CoinJockey73:

My pride and joy, this thread lying dormant, with a wonderful cast of memorable characters, many no longer with us, has been irretrievably stomped on, shredded and desecrated. What for me had been a labor of love--confined to just this thread long since forsaken--has been reduced to a barren wasteland by interlopers whose motives I seriously question. Any reasonable person can see the OP, apparently detested by some and loved by one, has moved on to other pursuits. How, pray tell, has all come to naught in an eyeblink?  There are those who are perfectly capable of accommodating a divergent viewpoint, but steadfastly refuse to.  Hard to believe a self-appointed hall monitor can invade a desolate place and issue orders! ORDERS!!  A VACATE ORDER, NO LESS!!!

My apologies to Dena Skeffington. I am hereby relinquishing whatever claim I believed I had in excavating this thread and sharing my finds with the few interested members who understand me and the significance of my "discovery." I am abandoning this thread forthwith and sincerely apologize to all members for the unintended distraction. @CoinJockey73:  I am moving my base of operations to your thread with the topic title paying homage to a bonafide certified numismatist. I may even take you up on your offer to share my treasures with you. I bid all a good nite and a good-nite to all!  🐓 

Please please please please! (See you over there, pal! Can't wait!)

On 9/19/2022 at 10:56 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Almost two years now... I call for a reassessment. We need a general update. Anybody?

I admit to being Sleepy, but only occasionally Hollow. Shallow? Sure. 

[I was hoping to catch the gentleman I quoted, with my hook.  He ignores me big time--going all the way back to the time I committed an unpardonable offense: defending what others here dismissively referred to as a troll.  Ah well, the perils of coin collecting.]

Dear NGC,

I finally made it back to the liberry, and there is a few flaws in your "ignore" function. 

While wonderful to no longer see meaningless posts from meaningless people, to me, of course, meaningless to me. I'm sure they have meaning elsewhere. Anyway, i digest, while wonderful blah blah blah, i can still see the posts of the ignored persons, multiple multiple ignored persons, when they're quoted. Can you please, PLEASE work on that? I thought I'd be rid of the mountains of dreck these people pour from the safety of their keyboards but alas, i still see the dreck. 

I'd appreciate if the matter could be handled forth-haste, por favoré. Notice the accent on the "e". That ought to give you a little idea of my 

Edited by CoinJockey73

@CoinJockey73:

Ehhh! C.J!  Comment ca va? Ca va bien? Ha!

Well this is a startling event!  Looks like the mods are out on st*Ike.  No matter. There is nothing wrong with the "ignore" button. I don't know if it was early--very early on--in this thread, or some other (didn't expect to find you here) but a member was kind enough to put me on "ignore" long enough to illustrate the point he was trying to make which was the "ignore" feature, for lack of a better word, was/is impotent, by design.  You can still read the writings of the person you've "ignored," as they are simply low-lighted in gray. Some of those folks that had relegated me to that sect--"your name will be stricken from every pylon, every pillar, every pyramid, et al."--acted in concert! One member even launched a fussilade of shots which caromed off everything on the Board, disengaged me, lobbed a few r.p.g.'s, and disengaged again. Great stuff! So, anyway, have no fear, there's nothing wrong with your optics!  Everything's hunky dory!  I have to admit that "accent aigu" definitively separates the minnows like me from the whales like you.  I guess I don't rate.  No matter. Like that commercial goes:  "We'll leave the light on for you." Man I love this place!  No mods! Who'd've thunk?  Un-be-liev-a-ble!  :roflmao:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:38 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@CoinJockey73:

Ehhh! C.J!  Comment ca va? Ca va bien? Ha!

Well this is a startling event!  Looks like the mods are out on st*Ike.  No matter. There is nothing wrong with the "ignore" button. I don't know if it was early--very early--on in this thread, or some other (didn't expect to find you here) but a member was kind enough to put me on "ignore" long enough to illustrate the point he was trying to make which was the "ignore" feature, for lack of a better word, was/is impotent, by design.  You can still read the writings of the person you've "ignored," as they are simply low-lighted in gray. Some of those folks that had relegated me to that sect--"your name will be stricken from every pylon, every pillar, every pyramid, et al."--acted in concert! One member even launched a fussilade of shots which caromed off everything on the Board, disengaging me, lobbing r.p.g.'s, and disengaging again. Great stuff! So, anyway, have no fear, there's nothing wrong with your optics!  Everything's hunky dory!  I have to admit that "accent aigu" definitively separates the minnows like me from the whales like you.  I guess I don't rate.  No matter. Like that commercial goes:  "We'll leave the light on for you." Man I love this place!  No mods! Who'd've thunk?  Un-be-liev-a-ble!  :roflmao:

Hey thanks @Quintus Arrius, i only had to look up 6 words in that post. Who'd've thunk you and me would be chumming it up on NGC. Two of the most detestable members, bonding via this site. Dare i say i actually owe NGC a debt of gratitude for bringing us two very like minded individuals together? Nah, i won't say it out loud. But you know I'm thinking it. 

The topic IS ignore.  The OP, bless his soul, took a powder a long time ago. This member complains he has availed himself of the "ignore" button, but still sees the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune directed his way. I provided him with an explanation for his information and edification.

I believe you were on bust halves; why do you bust chops here? :baiting:  :whistle:

BACK ON TRACK ! 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Ceaselass die-polishing.

On 9/24/2022 at 10:16 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

The topic IS ignore.  The OP, bless his soul, took a powder a long time ago. This member complains he has availed himself of the "ignore" button, but still sees the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune aimed at him. I provided him with an explanation for his information and edification.

I believe you were on bust halves; why do you bust chops here? :baiting:  :whistle:

BACK ON TRACK ! 

This place can be a little strange @Quintus Arrius. I was staying on topic, in every thread. Especially the ones i started, which if anyone is paying attention, are the only threads i frequent and/or contribute to, so who gives a hoot? Do you give a hoot? I give a hoot, i don't paloot. 

On 9/24/2022 at 9:16 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

The topic IS ignore.  The OP, bless his soul, took a powder a long time ago. This member complains he has availed himself of the "ignore" button, but still sees the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune aimed at him. I provided him with an explanation for his information and edification.

BACK ON TRACK ! 

crap-hitting-the-fan.gif

@zadok

Reaction (sad) noted.  Look at the bright side... your own intermittent commentary, by turns, scalding, blistering and withering, is nevertheless valid and instructive. The very thought of blocking you would be a sacrilege and travesty! I instinctively defer to you [and another member whose name I am forbidden to pronounce] on all things numismatic.  🐓 

On 9/24/2022 at 3:09 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@zadok

Reaction (sad) noted.  Look at the bright side... your own intermittent commentary, by turns, scalding, blistering and withering, is nevertheless valid and instructive. The very thought of blocking you would be a sacrilege and travesty! I instinctively defer to you [and another member whose name I am forbidden to pronounce] on all things numismatic.  🐓 

...there is no bright side...u r not remotely interested in numismatical discussions...ur preference for chaotic pursuits r clearly evident by ur choice of endorsements, ur prerogative of course, free country...i normally do not utilize the ignore function i just dont read certain persons post anymore once i determine they have nothing meaningful to contribute....

On 9/24/2022 at 9:15 PM, zadok said:

...there is no bright side...u r not remotely interested in numismatical discussions...ur preference for chaotic pursuits r clearly evident by ur choice of endorsements, ur prerogative of course, free country...i normally do not utilize the ignore function i just dont read certain persons post anymore once i determine they have nothing meaningful to contribute....

Me thinks you've become the very person you've been repeatedly warned against by others over a lifetime. And yes, my prerogative is to listen and learn from you--and defer to you respectfully, for the duration.  I do not believe there is anything you can say to dissuade me.  I know my endorsement makes you feel uncomfortable.  Put a big H on your chest, and Handle it. Don't put credence in my extracurricular activities; don't forget I am a child of the Sixties, given to pursuits as my mood and dispositions dictates.. If I should come across a square-holed coin, made of stone, I shall acquire it, post photos of it, and if you are amenable to the idea, ship it (or roll it to a destination as you direct.)  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:  :whistle:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Usual die polishing.

My dearest NGC,

Oh how i long for thee, how i miss thine delicate touch on mineth hand whilst preparing for joust ...

Is there a way to block people from seeing you and your content in it's entirety, individually? Like, since I've ignored all these members, shouldn't it block them from viewing my content completely? After all, I'm ignoring them, which means i want nothing to do with them, which means i want my content to have nothing to do with them. Makes sense, doesn't it? Stinks I'm the only brains around here. Which is pretty scary. Trust me. 

I thank-eth you-eth in advance-eth on this morrow of this morn. 

Yours fondly and longingly, 

CJ73 

Edited by CoinJockey73

@MarkFeld:

Let's not be hasty. Your conclusion is premature.  [Before I address this matter, I believe congratulations are in order for your commandeering, scratch that, enlisting the expertise of "WonderCoin" (I will leave out his legal name here) for the purposes of weighing in on a rambunctious thread then imploding on NGC's Chat Board re member RR2020.  "WonderCoin" was cited by Coin World) just last week as being among the 100 Most Influential Numismatists (in the Milky Way galaxy.) I thank you for introducing, what the venerable old Reader's Digest refers to as a "most unforgettable character."]

Now, as regarding this thread... I believe you may be confusing this thread with another, entitled... "I have deleted my account at PCGS and am never going back," posted by a member who also took a powder, and whose name, should I lose my presence of mind, would have me excommunicated, if ever I were to utter it again.

The apology, exclusive of that thread, obtains here. I made a note of the Line of Partition: member MAULEMALL had the last word on Sept. 12, 2022, page 6 of this thread. Some 23 months later, effectively abandoning my stake with the Atocha and Mel Fischer's skeletal crew, I assumed my role as retread guy, reviewing old threads, and revived this thread single-handledly, on p. 8 by requesting an update from the extant membership as to whether they felt this Forum could continue, accurately, to be called "Sleepy Hollow." The member who "coined" that remark declined to comment having also taken a powder)... and the discussion continued to blossom forth from there.

As you well know, I have an abiding respect for you, and as such ask that you give me time to review the comments received thus far after the divide on this this thread, and render my opinion accordingly.  At first blush, you appear to be right.  I believe you will be most pleased with my final decision. It is one thing to slap a tin badge reading "Hall Monitor" on your chest and issuing cease and desist vacate orders left and right on dormant, vacated spurs. It is quite another to wield the more potent weapons of disappointment and shame. I ask only ;that you allow me to confer briefly with "the cranks and the misfits and the one-lungers and the has-beens and the might've beens and the would-bes and the never-wills and the God-knows-whats,"* before I render my judgment.    🤔 

* above quote from, "Joe Gould's Secret," by Joseph Mitchell, Pantheon Books/Random House, Inc.: "UP IN THE OLD HOTEL," p. 623, New York, 1992, ISBN: 91-50835.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Impeccable, source checked die-polishing.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:52 PM, rrantique said:

bathroom-knocker.gif

toilet-reading.gif

Much as I love this thread, there is no come-back from a reply comprised of moving images set in living color. You win @rrantique !

[Meanwhile, up in the Intensive Care Unit of a local hospital...

🐓THERE YOU ARE ! Lookin' all over for you! What happened?  You fell again?

Q.A.:  Worse, Ricky.  Did you see the last post?

🐓 :  Biting commentary... very unusual. No words spoken.  Just emoji.

Q.A.:  Think that's something?  Did you see who "liked" it? 

🐓 :  You're kiddin' me!  That's payback, you know that right?  That's worse than being banned. That's the kiss of death.

Q.A :  Tell me about it.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Usual die polishing.