• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just "Ignored" someone for the first time.
2 2

251 posts in this topic

I just ignored someone with all four choices.  I thought about it for a long time and finally did it.  Apparently, I will see nothing he posts and not know if any other member mentions him.  Color me selfish.  I'm here to learn something and I get nothing from him.  Hopefully, he will be able to take part in my new quiz.  

Have you ever ignored anyone (no names)?

Did you take off the "ignore" after time passed or are they still being ignored?

My freshman year in college (VPI Corps of Cadets) we were awaken long after lights out and told to get dressed w/o saying a word.  We formed up outside in the dark.  All lights in every building and the street lamps were off.  We were marched to Lane hall and I could see the entire Corps was formed up in silence.  Charges were read for some invisible cadet who had broken the Cadet Code of Honor.  Then we were given the command to about face (from where ever he was) and marched back to the dorm.  We were told his name would be stricken from all school records and his name was not to ever be spoken. I have no idea who he was or what he did. 

I guess that is similar to the ignore feature here.    So long what's your name, it :blahblah: was no fun at all.  :nyah:

I have never put anyone on any sort of "ignore" list.

The closest analogy I can think of is, when I was in charge of auctions at a former company, over time I had to ban three people from consigning due to their shill-bidding practices.  But I remained friends with two of them.  So take that for what it's worth.

12 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I hope everyone reads this thread then no one should ever have to ask why they call this unfortunate forum "Sleepy Hollow".

The forum should be for people to gain knowledge and give knowledge. People that are actually looking for help, go thru the trouble of signing up and creating password, in the hopes of getting an answer to a question that they would like answered. They don't come here just to have someone derail their thread with a bunch of nonsense. That's why people leave here. I would rather have a Sleepy Hollow forum where I can gain knowledge or give it if I'm able. ATS may be a lot busier but there are many threads over there that don't really offer any knowledge , nor ask for any. They are threads that most just pass by or are usually only replied by those looking for entertainment. 

If someone believes a person is a 'troll' and is intentionally interfering in the thread, flow of information or is using disparaging language towards a fellow member - report them.  There is a place in the upper right corner to 'Report Post'.  If a person has enough 'Reports' the Mods sooner or later will get the hint.  Placing a person on 'Ignore' is meaningless as they just keep coming back.  A Mod placing a 'Block' on their IP address usually is a permanent cure.

But to be bragging as to how many people one has placed on ignore - how does that look to a new comer?  One, if he/she is truly interested in furthering this hobby should consider their approach to the actions of this forum.  With that I will leave you with an age old internet saying:  "Please don't feed the trolls'.  

37 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

If someone believes a person is a 'troll' and is intentionally interfering in the thread, flow of information or is using disparaging language towards a fellow member - report them.  There is a place in the upper right corner to 'Report Post'.  If a person has enough 'Reports' the Mods sooner or later will get the hint.  Placing a person on 'Ignore' is meaningless as they just keep coming back.  A Mod placing a 'Block' on their IP address usually is a permanent cure.

But to be bragging as to how many people one has placed on ignore - how does that look to a new comer?  One, if he/she is truly interested in furthering this hobby should consider their approach to the actions of this forum.  With that I will leave you with an age old internet saying:  "Please don't feed the trolls'.  

Does anyone else remember that “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” features a “headless horseman”? Headless horsemen can neither see, nor hear, nor think any more. Maybe Larry and Jason need to think deeply about that. But maybe they’ve already seen it all, heard it all and know it all. CoinTalk and they deserve one another.

1 hour ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I have never put anyone on any sort of "ignore" list.

The closest analogy I can think of is, when I was in charge of auctions at a former company, over time I had to ban three people from consigning due to their shill-bidding practices.  But I remained friends with two of them.  So take that for what it's worth.

It was my first time and that's why it is significant.  On the ATS, I received over a thousand "disagrees"  from two trolls who made me the all-time leader who could never be surpassed.  Both were eventually banned. I never considered ignoring them.

You see, each of us is knowledgeable in certain things.  That's one thing that makes an open forum great.  For example, I could post that my big toe is hurting at the moment and several members here would have a suggestion for the cause.    

55 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I have little time for the "little-minded" control-freaks who get offended if someone FARTS in their own home and needs to call someone to report the imaginary foul smell.  These worthless "forum police" ruin things for the rest of the 99.999% of us.  True, some "reports" are valid but when that is the case, it probably took a few of the 99.999% of us to validate it.  

As for feeding the trolls, were are here to help the ignorant .  When does the fool cross the line and become a troll?  I think we know and most of us stop posting.  That's what i did recently with the "pattern dime."  

6 minutes ago, numisport said:

If I was on your ignore list you wouldn't know it because you don't see this B|

See what?  :nyah:

I'll guarantee my "ignore" is working because that person has probably posted at lease three times in this discussion already. :roflmao:

Edited by Insider

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

If someone believes a person is a 'troll' and is intentionally interfering in the thread, flow of information or is using disparaging language towards a fellow member - report them.  There is a place in the upper right corner to 'Report Post'.  If a person has enough 'Reports' the Mods sooner or later will get the hint. 

It's not just trolls, there are people who provide no value to the topics. Two people who come to mind that you probably won't recognize are Bear and michael. They don't post anymore since God put them on his ignore list.

Bear was an old fart that had zero knowledge of the hobby and used to make thousands of stupid comments like "I'd pay a lot of jelly donuts for that coin" and many people excused or perhaps even liked his stupid worthless posts. Zero knowledge, but felt the need to make stupid useless comments on everything and pretend to have the moral high ground. Many of the dealers disliked him, but they encouraged him as they took advantage of him when selling coins. Yep, dealers cheering him on so an old fool felt good about himself so they could sell him overpriced coins. 

michael I can only assume suffered from some sort of dementia. His posts read like that of a six year old lacking any semblance of grammar and many times lacking enough clarity to even understand what he was trying to say. One of his faces would take a shot at you in the forums and the other face would PM you asking to buy a coin. 

The mods wouldn't do anything about either of them as they weren't trolls or outright breaking the rules. However, they added zero value and actually made the forums worse for many people. Why not add people like this to the ignore feature? Get rid of the clutter.

17 minutes ago, Insider said:

New quiz coming today.

One last question on the last quiz: those “bands” were extremely tidy and tight, like the alleged ability of “frog tape” to mask paint cleanly. I saw someone guessed something about a rubber band. That is unsatisfying to me. Have you another guess?

12 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

One last question on the last quiz: those “bands” were extremely tidy and tight, like the alleged ability of “frog tape” to mask paint cleanly. I saw someone guessed something about a rubber band. That is unsatisfying to me. Have you another guess?

Straight and parallel lines...hard to do that and cause corrosion at the same time. I'm sticking with the rubber band theory.

Edited by coincorgi

1 minute ago, coincorgi said:

Straight and parallel lines...hard to do that and cause corrosion at the same time. I'm sticking with the rubber band theory.

Must be higher quality bands than I see around here these days. I guess that’s not hard to imagine. :grin:

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

Must be higher quality bands than I see around here these days. I guess that’s not hard to imagine. :grin:

And it is just that...an imagined cause...just like insider imagines that it was corrosion that had progressed to "black".

2 minutes ago, coincorgi said:

And it is just that...an imagined cause...just like insider imagines that it was corrosion that had progressed to "black".

I know we can’t, without a “way back machine”, but I surely do wish we could see that coin with the black still on it.

51 minutes ago, Insider said:

It was my first time and that's why it is significant.  On the ATS, I received over a thousand "disagrees"  from two trolls who made me the all-time leader who could never be surpassed.  Both were eventually banned. I never considered ignoring them.

You see, each of us is knowledgeable in certain things.  That's one thing that makes an open forum great.  For example, I could post that my big toe is hurting at the moment and several members here would have a suggestion for the cause.    

I have little time for the "little-minded" control-freaks who get offended if someone FARTS in their own home and needs to call someone to report the imaginary foul smell.  These worthless "forum police" ruin things for the rest of the 99.999% of us.  True, some "reports" are valid but when that is the case, it probably took a few of the 99.999% of us to validate it.  

As for feeding the trolls, were are here to help the ignorant .  When does the fool cross the line and become a troll?  I think we know and most of us stop posting.  That's what i did recently with the "pattern dime."  

This is exactly the attitude that got you the boot ATS and now you've come over here to save us from our selves.  You'll be one more in a line of people who have tried but failed.  Please be so kind as to add me to you ever growing list of 'Ignores'.

("Pattern dime?"  Whew, what a relief!)

Just wanted to say with your encyclopedic knowledge of metallurgy, you would have been a shoo-in for a position at the National Transportation Safety Board!  Thanks for being a gracious host.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Delete word.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

No.

This is exactly the attitude that got you the boot ATS and now you've come over here to save us from our selves.  You'll be one more in a line of people who have tried but failed.  Please be so kind as to add me to you ever growing list of 'Ignores'.

Just a little history info. We have had some pretty bad trolls come thru this forum in the last 14 yrs that I have been here. Everyone basically knew who they were after a few distorted threads. I just ignored one myself and I don't care who knows it. You think it deters new comers? I don't think so. Getting these trolls out of the threads is much better for newbies so they aren't distracted by their ignorance. A new person comes here, asks a question, and then bombarded with worthless comments and insults to other members that are trying to help. It doesn't help new people coming here to have their thread derailed by trolls. NGC is waaaaay more lenient than ATS. This why the ignore button is used more than the report button. Sometimes you just get tired of seeing their posts or waiting for NGC to get tired of them and ban them. 

LOL, I have no intention of "ignoring" you.  Every so often you make a good addition to a discussion.  I've probably "Liked" some of your posts. 

Unfortunately, your comment here is misinformation,  Actually what got me banned was my reference to a firing squad.  I posted that I would take my time carrying out an execution by shooting off a finger or putting the first bullet into a foot.  I believe the discussion evolved into that while I was trying to educate the ignorant members posting about the Chinese virus. 

When folks listen to the fake news about most things these days, no one can blame them for not knowing what was going on in the "real world."   Posting many dozens of examples is against the rules.

One reason our country was shut down was because some esteemed insufficiently_thoughtful_person in Britain calculated that many millions would die in the US.   A week later he lowered his prediction.  A week or so later he did that again.  We cannot discuss certain subjects because all of us don't know EVERYTHING so we can have a balanced discussion.  We only believe what we are told by the sources we use.  Perfect Example: Florescent light for coin examination. 

I have an open mind about everything and my opinion on many subjects has been changed by posters giving me FACTS I was not aware of that I was able to prove to myself they were true!   I enjoy being educated and I have been "spanked" a few times on these boards for being ignorant!  It is very embarrassing.

2 hours ago, coincorgi said:

Ok, I'll wait for you to explain the progression of oxidation on a silver coin FOR ALL OF THE MEMBERS in this discussion.  Otherwise, please stop (tsk) 

posting nonsense about things you know nothing about.   

Thanks in advance.  

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I know we can’t, without a “way back machine”, but I surely do wish we could see that coin with the black still on it.

I agree!  Here are some others in the same submission today.  They are not caused by rubber bands!

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Ok, I'll wait for you to explain the progression of oxidation on a silver coin FOR ALL OF THE MEMBERS in this discussion.  Otherwise, please stop (tsk) 

posting nonsense about things you know nothing about.   

Thanks in advance. 

I was questioning your absolute certainty that it had progressed all the way to black before the cleaning took place. I don't know how you can be certain how far it had gone. Ease up Socrates.

Well, I guess we’ve determined that Alex likes a heavily policed board. Knowing a fair bit about people in his neck of the woods, that’s not surprising. Being from a very gritty inner city in the same state, but a different planet culturally, my desire for a thoroughly free-wheeling experience is also not a surprise. I hope Alex gets a thicker skin and I get mellowed by Alabama. They get dressed up to go to the grocery store down there. :grin:

If those are the photos for today’s quiz, let me get my choice on PVC damage in there early.

16 minutes ago, coincorgi said:

I was questioning your absolute certainty that it had progressed all the way to black before the cleaning took place. I don't know how you can be certain how far it had gone. Ease up Socrates.

What if I told you I conserved the coin or I took the black corrosion off at the customers request?  If I had owned the coin, I should have sold it with the black streak and let some "genius" such as [SELF :whistle:EDIT] learn all about end stage corrosion by himself. 

So rather than your snarky reply which I responded to in kind, you might have asked nicely so I could reply:  This is how:  When you remove something from the surface of a coin, the underlying surface will either return to its "original" (for all that examine it) condition or be different.  The degree of difference can range from a simple discoloration to a rather deep granular crater.  The color of the oxidation (toning) HELPS DETERMINE what the underlying surface will look like if it is removed.  The color BLACK is very bad.  There is only one part of a coin where it can be removed w/o leaving a trace.  :)

At first I was going to post a before and after but...Unfortunately, it is bad form to show before and after images of conserved coins on another  TPGS forum.  I did this once by completely removing a large corrosion spot from an MS-66 buffalo on the PCGS forum.  I got a stern warning not to do it again.     NGC has a coin conservation service that is one of the best.       .        

26 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Not that it’s that crucial, but what coin is that top photo above? The others I see.

Peace dollar.

Ran out of time to post a new quiz.  Sorry.