• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roger Burdette's Saint Gaudens Double Eagles Book
4 4

2,574 posts in this topic

FYI - Striking pressure is intended to fill recesses of the die with metal. Too much pressure causes deformation and actually softens the coin image -- that is, until the dies shatter. Sharp lines created by excessive die wear/metal fatigue  radiate from the center to rim - never across the central face as on the filed die.

Nice !!   Roger's story on the 1928 Stolen Double Eagles is in my 2012 FUN Duckor catalog.  I knew it was in the HA archives but it's nice to see it in the actual catalog for which it was written.

Love that story.....

Edited by GoldFinger1969

1 minute ago, RWB said:

Ahhhh....had forgotten about that.

Been buying a few auction catalogs here-and-there the last few months.....the 2012 Duckor FUN catalog is 100% on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles and has lots of commentary from David Akers (I think he passed away later that year).

Hey Roger.  I understand there is a digital version of your book that Heritage made available to "the press" around the time of it's release... I tried to get a copy and would have paid for it, but they were not selling it at the time, just the soft cover version.  (You may remember I had one bound that I gave you at a coin show!)  Do you think they will ever make the electronic version available?

On 1/30/2021 at 1:03 PM, RWB said:

Several are now known and I expect more to come up unattributed in auctions.

Yes, the 22 S filed die!  I was able to locate one in an upcoming auction, unattributed of course.  It's now in my collection :).  I have found a total of 5 so far in auction records.  Amazing no one caught this before Roger... He is the MAN!  

1 hour ago, Ross J said:

Do you think they will ever make the electronic version available?

I contacted Heritage last month and asked about this and they said they didn't have anything for me.  

I'm SURE they have or could send someone a copy of the final manuscript in PDF format.  If you reach the right person at Heritage with a copy, let me know. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Ross J said:

Yes, the 22 S filed die!  I was able to locate one in an upcoming auction, unattributed of course.  It's now in my collection :).  I have found a total of 5 so far in auction records.  Amazing no one caught this before Roger... He is the MAN!  

Did you buy it at Heritage or GC ?

On 2/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, Ross J said:

Hey Roger.  I understand there is a digital version of your book that Heritage made available to "the press" around the time of it's release... I tried to get a copy and would have paid for it, but they were not selling it at the time, just the soft cover version.  (You may remember I had one bound that I gave you at a coin show!)  Do you think they will ever make the electronic version available?

Ross, I am putting together a PDF for the Heritage Auction texts (with David Akers commentaries) for many of the most famous, most-expensive Saint-Gaudens coins sold on their website.  I think I have one for every year from 1907-32, and am finalizing the layout.  

Basically, I wanted something on my smarpthone and wanted the David Akers commentaries from the 2012 Duckor FUN catalog as well as some comments from 2008 and 1988...in PDF form.  Some of the commentaries are short (1 or 2 paragraphs) and others like for the 1907 UHR or 1907 HR, or for rarities like the 1929-32 batch, are a few pages each.

It's not Roger's book or even the Akers 1907-33 Gold Handbook or Bowers' Guide Book on Double Eagles...but it does have lots of Saint information (at least on the finest coins)....is in PDF format....and has lots of catalog commentaries (from Akers) which can be read on your smartphone.

If interested, let me know.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, Ross J said:

Ross, I don't know what their plans are. Heritage is an auction company and publishing a book or two is not in their line of work. I have not seen a digital version of the book.

And I thank you again for the hardbound copy of the book....very thoughtful gift!

49 minutes ago, RWB said:

Ross, I don't know what their plans are. Heritage is an auction company and publishing a book or two is not in their line of work. I have not seen a digital version of the book.

They wrote me back, no plans on a PDF or online version as of yet.  They could turn the final manuscript into a PDF if they wanted to.

50 minutes ago, RWB said:

And I thank you again for the hardbound copy of the book....very thoughtful gift!

The SAINTS book is in hardcover ?  hm

36 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

The SAINTS book is in hardcover ?  hm

No. Ross J was kind enough to have a copy hard bound which he presented to me. It was and is much appreciated.

30 minutes ago, RWB said:

No. Ross J was kind enough to have a copy hard bound which he presented to me. It was and is much appreciated.

Oh, I didn't know they could do that....they made a hardcover just like the soft one and the back cover, too ?

I may look into that.

4 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Oh, I didn't know they could do that....they made a hardcover just like the soft one and the back cover, too ?

I may look into that.

A bookbinder will do that for you. I don't know the cost.

23 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I may look into that.

No, I had a soft cover version "hard bound" by a local book binder in Princeton... they usually perform the service on senior or graduate thesis papers.  I put Roger's name prominently on the cover as I thought it was a bit lost on the paperback version.  I was hoping he would get more recognition than my small tribute, and indeed he won two 2018 Numismatic Literary Guild awards for Book of the Year and Best U.S. Coin Book.     I was and remain so grateful that such a resource became available, particularly at the time that it did, since my variety collecting had matured around the same time and I had exhausted other resources for information on Saint Varieties. Roger's book provided some authoritative backup for the information I was painfully trying to assemble privately, as well as tons of new information as well.  He is a diligent, practiced and efficient researcher and scrupulous about accuracy.  Can't say enough good things about him or his contributions to the hobby.  Sorry Roger, I know this is a bit much.  Just know I have high standards for hero worship!

Nice gesture, Ross....totally agree with your sentiments on Roger's book.  Nothing like it at all, it's The Bible for Saint-Gaudens collectors or those with interest in the series.

Also appreciate Roger's generosity in chiming in here over the months.  This is one of the most valuable threads on Saints and any coin series for that matter on the internet.

You folks are embarrassing me....:blush:

A daily "parting of the golden sea waters" is performed at noon. Afterward, manna is distributed to all who attended along with a good lager. Free use of a boot scraper is available for those lagging behind the camels. :)

2 hours ago, RWB said:

A daily "parting of the golden sea waters" is performed at noon. Afterward, manna is distributed to all who attended along with a good lager. Free use of a boot scraper is available for those lagging behind the camels. :)

The hell with that, I just need to know if you can distract the guards at Ft. Knox while I try and make a break with the ten 1933 Saints.........xD  (thumbsu

If you're not willing to do that, then at least give me Pusssy Galore's phone number.... xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

6 hours ago, zadok said:

unfortunately the number has been disconnected....ms blackman is no longer with us she passed at age 94...incidentally she was 8 years old when ur precious '33 saints were minted, personally id give her a PR70 rating...rip

I'm not sure it got enough play last April....it was the height of the C-19 pandemic.

R.I.P.  :frown:

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, RWB said:

WoW! Camels too?  It just gets better and better!

18 hours ago, zadok said:

unfortunately the number has been disconnected....ms blackman is no longer with us she passed at age 94...incidentally she was 8 years old when ur precious '33 saints were minted, personally id give her a PR70 rating...rip

She was an amazing actress.  See if you can spot her in "A Night to Remember", the British Titanic flick from the late 50"s based on Walter Lord's book. 

Speaking of Goldfinger, what does the movie and SGDE's have in common?

....They both have iconic "Golden Girls"!

Goldfinger.jpg

MMIX sm.jpg

I remember in high school science class we were asked what killed Jill and most people thought gold paint would prevent her skin from breathing...in fact, I think her body temperature got too high from clogged pores.

On 2/11/2021 at 6:28 PM, RWB said:

A bookbinder will do that for you. I don't know the cost.

I’ve had several things bound by a bookbinder in the Reading, PA area over the years. Costs depend on choice of materials, but figure a low of $25 and a high of $75 or so. That said, my most recent was not so recent.

6 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I’ve had several things bound by a bookbinder in the Reading, PA area over the years. Costs depend on choice of materials, but figure a low of $25 and a high of $75 or so. That said, my most recent was not so recent.

And they make the front and back cover of the re-binded book the same as the softcover, right ?  Or is it just a plain hardcover with no resemblance to the soft one ?

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

And they make the front and back cover of the re-binded book the same as the softcover, right ?  Or is it just a plain hardcover with no resemblance to the soft one ?

No similarity. Think old library books. Stamped titles on the spine.

A book binder will do whatever the customer asks - including preserving all of the original within a new binding. I priced this for a couple of my books as possible issues for collectors - prices for good goat leather was about $250+ each including cover gold stamping. Decided not to do it because of the cost of having just 10 copies not bound by the printer, then all the handling, and the "hope" of selling them all.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

A book binder will do whatever the customer asks - including preserving all of the original within a new binding. I priced this for a couple of my books as possible issues for collectors - prices for good goat leather was about $250+ each including cover gold stamping. Decided not to do it because of the cost of having just 10 copies not bound by the printer, then all the handling, and the "hope" of selling them all.

I got a hardcover and softcover for the Thaine B. Price Catalog (1998).  Interior is the same, but the cover is just a nice blue titled piece on the hardcover whereas the soft has pics of coins.