• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roger Burdette's Saint Gaudens Double Eagles Book
4 4

2,572 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Cat Bath said:

Payed MS63 money but I had to have it.

My only pedigree saint arrived last week.

321834790_Newman1912.thumb.jpg.f3a2d8482404b140bdb9f59945fc968a.jpg

Looks like VKurtB was right. Again. Certification is but one factor to consider. I myself did what I had to do and took the plunge after I decided to "sleep on [a buying decision]" on three separate occasions only to discover the seldom available offering had been snapped up at a price not much more than that I had agonized over. You had to have it. Perfectly understandable.

11 hours ago, Zebo said:

And I thought you only looked at the pictures. :roflmao:

I should have introduced myself at one of the FCC meetings before I moved out of the area. Maybe during a visit once this virus situation is over.

That would be great!

On 7/28/2020 at 6:00 AM, Conder101 said:

I didn't buy them back when I could get them for $70, I'm not buying them with gold at $2000.

Jeez, must have been late-1960's xD 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/28/2020 at 4:58 PM, Cat Bath said:

Payed MS63 money but I had to have it.

My only pedigree saint arrived last Friday.

Nice !!  Did you do any research on who "Newman" is ?  I presume if you ask, the TPGs will put a name or collection type on the label.

I presume it's not this guy......xD

On 7/27/2020 at 10:42 PM, RWB said:

Anybody else read the book in its entirety -- thoughts ?

I did.... :)

Anybody buying any Saints as gold approaches $2,000/oz. ?

Bought a couple of "new" varieties spotted in inventories/auctions.

You read it ?  I thought you'd wait for the movie to come out.....xD

Seriously, didn't know you collected, what online places do you utilize, HA, Stack's, GC, etc. ?

I've BID on but never won an online Saint.  All purchased at LCS or coin shows.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

1 hour ago, Cat Bath said:

This guy....

https://nnp.wustl.edu/about

Check out "The Team" in the left drop down menu :baiting: :grin:

Here is another Newman pedigree label - the  EPN type. Nice predigree and coin. 

For goldfinger: to add a pedigree, I always had to provide some documentation proving it came from the source I was attempting to add (pedigree). 

image.jpg

Edited by Zebo
Clarification

13 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

You read it ?  I thought you'd wait for the movie to come out.....xD

Seriously, didn't know you collected, what online places do you utilize, HA, Stack's, GC, etc. ?

I've BID on but never won an online Saint.  All purchased at LCS or coin shows.

I don't really "collect" coins except temporarily for research or to verify something. I cannot afford to hold on to $$$$$ in non-performing assets, regardless of how much pleasure that would bring.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Well, what do you know. Mr Burdette looks very much the way I had pictured him in my mind.

That photo was taken quite a while ago. I've lost about 90 lbs since then, and I have no intention of looking for them, either.

32 minutes ago, RWB said:

That photo was taken quite a while ago. I've lost about 90 lbs since then, and I have no intention of looking for them, either.

I pictured you much taller. :)

A poor time to buy any gold coin except ones that are truly scarce and which will retain their collector value. The others, including marginal ones such as 1922-S, are too close to bullion pieces to give the collector any chance of recovering their cost. An exception could be made for a clearly visible new variety, error, or bungled edge.

8 minutes ago, RWB said:

A poor time to buy any gold coin except ones that are truly scarce and which will retain their collector value. The others, including marginal ones such as 1922-S, are too close to bullion pieces to give the collector any chance of recovering their cost. An exception could be made for a clearly visible new variety, error, or bungled edge.

True indeed.  [But if one of the French 20-franc gold roosters in the highest grade possible suddenly becomes available, it's either now or never. I am whispering because VKurtB may be looking over my shoulder.]

19 minutes ago, RWB said:

This is whisper text:  Psssnsnsnsnnsnsnns.....bzbbzzzzzb.

20 minutes ago, RWB said:

This is whisper text:  Psssnsnsnsnnsnsnns.....bzbbzzzzzb.

Ah well, no tool bar.  You guys are the best.  And thanks for having my back!

14 hours ago, RWB said:

If gold is going on a sustained rise, then I wouldn't call it a "poor time" to buy gold, right ?  Granted, nobody knows where it is going.  I don't know where the next $300 is going -- up or down -- but I am pretty sure that the next $1,000 is UP.

As I have said before, I knew nothing about Saint-Gaudens coins until I was buying gold during previous rising periods.  So if rising bullion prices increase interest in Saints, that's good for the coins. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

12 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

True indeed.  [But if one of the French 20-franc gold roosters in the highest grade possible suddenly becomes available, it's either now or never.

Not familiar with French "roosters" -- what's their story ?

RE: "If gold is going on a sustained rise, then I wouldn't call it a "poor time" to buy gold, right ?"

I disagree. Buying at the present level exposes buyers to extreme volatility of a commodity which has very limited commercial value support. The "spot gold" market is not an open or free one - commercial users obtain gold and most other "precious metals" through direct contracting. Coin collectors have developed a sort of cult attitude toward gold which, like all cults and dogmas, ignores facts.

PS: "Not familiar with French "roosters" -- what's their story ?"

That's what is used for McNuggets in Paris. No one knows what's in the "dipping sauce" mixture.

Edited by RWB

15 minutes ago, RWB said:

RE: "If gold is going on a sustained rise, then I wouldn't call it a "poor time" to buy gold, right ?"

I disagree. Buying at the present level exposes buyers to extreme volatility of a commodity which has very limited commercial value support. The "spot gold" market is not an open or free one - commercial users obtain gold and most other "precious metals" through direct contracting. Coin collectors have developed a sort of cult attitude toward gold which, like all cults and dogmas, ignores facts.

But it has ALWAYS been a volatile commodity that doesn't pay dividends or interest.  And I do agree, it has had a big run -- up about 25% since January.

But economic, financial, and political risk have increased a TON since then -- just look at The Virus -- and while I am not one of the carnival barkers calling for $5,000 or $10,000 gold in a few years, I can certainly make a case for $2,500 by early-2021 and $3,000 within a few years.

If I was working FT I'd probably be nibbling here but I'm certainly NOT selling here.

P.S. We crossed $2,000 a few minutes ago !

3 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Not familiar with French "roosters" -- what's their story ?

As I am generally discouraged, if not outright barred, from discussing roosters, I will throw all caution to the wind (hope our colleague, VKurtB, isn't peering over my shoulder, and offer the following)...

In a nutshell, half the 16-coin run are "originals; the other half, "restrikes." For whatever the reason, they are notably unavailable in the top MS grades and, most regrettably for me, do not reside in anyone's Set Registry, here or elsewhere. Complicating matters are two apparent factors: the earlier originals reside in Europe and judging by the prevailing census reports seem to be the purview of PCGS (hence all the incomplete registry sets at NGC, including my own.) While they do come up for auction, they do so infrequently and apparently rarely at the upper end of [what I refer to as] the Richter scale.

With the run-up in gold, I have been besieged by offers to buy my collections outright, or by offerings of lesser-grade specimens at now inflated prices. (Interestingly, some inattentive sellers are still offering their wares at below-melt cost!) Whether a SG or .18 [AGW] troy ounce "or Coq Marianne," (their formal name) I believe in buying low/selling high, but if an opportunity to upgrade presents itself, though my collection at PCGS is #1, I might consider it. Douglas Winter had the benefit of a lifetime of research, publishing and collecting. My days, at [damned near] 70, are almost over.

I have enjoyed your posts and wish you all the best in the pursuit of arguably the finest coin ever produced by the mint!

The 20 Fr. Marianne is my 2nd favorite coin after the saint but I only have 2 because of the problem with collecting 1899-1906 as mentioned above

Here she is, my 1910 in 66+

jjjjjj.thumb.jpg.e5988b326cf47429e862312b2083b579.jpg

You will find 2 complete sets here...(Both collectors, I believe, have a French connection that helps)

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/france/french-modern-republics-decimal-coinage/french-20-francs-gold-rooster-circulation-strikes-1899-1914/2711

Edited by Cat Bath

58 minutes ago, Cat Bath said:

The 20 Fr. Marianne is my 2nd favorite coin after the saint but I only have 2 because of the problem with collecting 1899-1906 as mentioned above

Here she is, my 1910 in 66+

jjjjjj.thumb.jpg.e5988b326cf47429e862312b2083b579.jpg

You will find 2 complete sets here...(Both collectors, I believe, have a French connection that helps)

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/france/french-modern-republics-decimal-coinage/french-20-francs-gold-rooster-circulation-strikes-1899-1914/2711

Finally, pay dirt!  The No. 1 set, Rooster Roster, is mine, and quite frankly, I like the No. 2 set better. That guy worked [damned] hard to get to the top -- and actually held the No.1 slot briefly, but unbeknownst to him, I was delaying another update on my registry pending the arrival of two more key, hard to get roosters.  I love your rooster and the only reason why I stopped at 1910 MS-66 is I tired of those minute, incremental increases in favor of whole grade updates -- which appears to have come to a grinding halt earlier this year. (Naturally, I am drowning in duplicates.) Certifying them at NGC would be a travesty and major departure from my MS-66 lineage. Incidentally, aside from a French collector who was in the process of divesting himself of his compilation and contacted me with a courtesy call -- as I explained to him, I already had a 1909 MS-67 which was then under consideration for cross at PCGS (and ultimately passed) -- you are the ONLY person to reach out to me on this subject, hence my comment that rooster owners are apparently reluctant to engage other collectors. Many thanks for your contribution. There is, as indicated elsewhere, plenty of room for improvement on my set, but not for lack of trying. Example: 1902. Highest grade: MS-64. Total certified by top TPGS: 3. I am stuck at MS-63. Gotta wait, I guess.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:37 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Even common Saints seeing premiums with gold knocking on $2,000/oz.

They always bring premiums no matter what gold prices are.  But the higher gold rises, especially if it rises quickly, the smaller the premium becomes.

23 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

They always bring premiums no matter what gold prices are.  But the higher gold rises, especially if it rises quickly, the smaller the premium becomes.

And, of course, the inverse is true for the AE silver dollars with a recent article devoted to just this phenomenon (higher premiums) as investors clamor to know why.  Coin shortage?  I doubt it. Probably has to do with that nefarious cabal one of our number alluded to.

9 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Finally, pay dirt!  The No. 1 set, Rooster Roster, is mine, and quite frankly, I like the No. 2 set better. That guy worked [damned] hard to get to the top -- and actually held the No.1 slot briefly, but unbeknownst to him, I was delaying another update on my registry pending the arrival of two more key, hard to get roosters.  I love your rooster and the only reason why I stopped at 1910 MS-66 is I tired of those minute, incremental increases in favor of whole grade updates -- which appears to have come to a grinding halt earlier this year. (Naturally, I am drowning in duplicates.) Certifying them at NGC would be a travesty and major departure from my MS-66 lineage. Incidentally, aside from a French collector who was in the process of divesting himself of his compilation and contacted me with a courtesy call -- as I explained to him, I already had a 1909 MS-67 which was then under consideration for cross at PCGS (and ultimately passed) -- you are the ONLY person to reach out to me on this subject, hence my comment that rooster owners are apparently reluctant to engage other collectors. Many thanks for your contribution. There is, as indicated elsewhere, plenty of room for improvement on my set, but not for lack of trying. Example: 1902. Highest grade: MS-64. Total certified by top TPGS: 3. I am stuck at MS-63. Gotta wait, I guess.

Very nice set. Playing the upgrade game is an ongoing endeavor that for me, will never end.  

10 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Finally, pay dirt!  The No. 1 set, Rooster Roster, is mine...

OK...You talked me into it.

Next time you check the registry, you'll see me very near the bottom :hi:

I'm going to send my 1911 for a TrueView & put it in the registry when it comes back.

It will be some sort of miracle if I can find the 1st eight in MS but I'll give it a shot.

18 minutes ago, Cat Bath said:

OK...You talked me into it.

Next time you check the registry, you'll see me very near the bottom :hi:

I'm going to send my 1911 for a TrueView & put it in the registry when it comes back.

It will be some sort of miracle if I can find the 1st eight in MS but I'll give it a shot.

Gold is up 30%.  Across-the-board unavailability at the high end has hindered me; unbeknownst to me (owing to my newfound newbie-ness status) I plunged in while prices were comparatively low. There are people out there trying to make a buck. Be extra cautious!

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Gold is up 30%.  Across-the-board unavailability at the high end has hindered me; unbeknownst to me (owing to my newfound newbie-ness status) I plunged in while prices were comparatively low. There are people out there trying to make a buck. Be extra cautious!

True enough, but if the right coin comes along - sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.