• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
5 5

2,509 posts in this topic

Note:  The following is in reference to the 1794 "Head of 1793" large cent.

I find the combination of formal grading terminology perplexing and jarring.  We have a coin in a PCGS holder, apparently certified but (ungraded) -- and seemingly magically, skip "reconsideration" and baldly state, "Good to Very Good details" skipping Poor, Fair, About Good--even Good... Huh? This is your considered opinion, No?  Would you be kind enough to clarify?

Edited by Henri Charriere
Clarification as to post being referred to.

@Henri Charriere--"Good to Very Good details" is my grade, not PCGS's, for the 1794 Head of '93 cent.  I'm one of those fanatics who actually learned how to grade coins himself.  Obviously, the impairments substantially reduce its value from this grade level if unimpaired. I'm a bit more conservative than the Stacks Bowers cataloguer, who referred to it as "VG Details" after noting that it had "[r]ough and porous deep red-brown surfaces with a deep old pit near the back of the Liberty cap."

On 6/19/2023 at 3:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

Thanks, the photos were taken by Jeremy (aka airplanenut on the PCGS forum) 15 or 20 years ago, dang it is hard to believe it has been that long.   The coin still resides in its old small ANACS holder.

Wow. That's cool. I know Jeremy. He taught me a lot about imaging coins, about 20 something years ago. He was just a kid back then. 

1896c-obv.jpg