• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,491 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2023 at 5:20 PM, ldhair said:

The first two are ok but you need to work on the white balance.

The second two are worse. It looks as if you are missing the type of lighting.  

Agreed! I'm working with a Canon T2i with a 100mm Macro lens... I tried manually setting the white balance but kept getting error codes during set up... so I went with AWB and I'm using manual exposure settings... I think I'm in the neighborhood of F11 and 125... 

Here's my setup...

20230712_100611.jpg

I've never collected half cents myself other than a couple of type examples.   So I have never studied the pops or the coins in enough detail to even begin to answer your question.   Just a suggestion, a subject like this would get far more attention if posted as a new thread in the US coin section rather than buried in the copper thread.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:07 PM, farthing said:

Pidcock's advertising token catalogued as Dalton & Hamer Middlesex #445

The obverse features a Nylghau (an antelope native to India) while the reverse features an Ostrich.  The diesinker and manufacturer was Charles James.

James and Gilbert Pidcock were the proprietors of a traveling menagerie that toured England in the summer and wintered at their main quarters at the Exeter Exchange, situated on the site of the old Exeter House, on the north side of the Strand near the Lyceum.  The exhibition closed in 1828.  The Pidcock's produced a large number of advertising tokens in penny, half penny and farthing sizes with images of different and unusual animals featured in their business.

NGC featured this token this week on their Instagram feed for #TokenTuesday, I believe this is the sixth token from my collection they have featured.

MiddlesexPidcockDH445.jpg

Awesome!👏

@jesbroken--I agree with @Coinbuf that your half cent question should have been posted as a new topic, not as a post on this thread of photos of copper coins. However, the likely answer to your question is that a key date 1811 half cent has a market value that is multiples of that of an 1810 in equivalent grade, and even well-worn 1811s are considered worth submitting to TPGS, unlike 1810s. Key date coins often have much higher certified populations than more common dates in the same series.

Sorry, I thought this post was for the love of copper and did not know it was for photos only. My bad. I'll remove it.

Jim

On 7/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, jesbroken said:

Sorry, I thought this post was for the love of copper and did not know it was for photos only. My bad. I'll remove it.

Jim

Its not really that this is just for photos Jim, just that not all the members view this thread so the main forum will give your inquiry a better chance of being seen and better participation.