• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,496 posts in this topic

There is a lesson to be learned from this coin. I am a true copper lover and don't mind spending for a few red cents, but this coin vividly shows just how little a coin needs to turn to no longer be red, and a red and brown specimen

can look just as nice for a h e l l of a lot less money.

My 3rd civil war token of this type, but I can't control myself from purchasing nice examples of this design when they appear for a good price. Very common design, but also a very popular one.

1863_174-272a_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zpsr2b91vgj.jpg

Very nice examples all!!

(thumbs u

Just sealed the deal on this piece:

From_Charmy_Collection_1909_Lincoln_65BN2.jpg

Ex Charmy Collection.

:)

Thanks Lance :) I really love the strike on that coin looks almost matte proof like. For a change of pace here is one of my dog coins funny actually that the majority of my dog coins are in PCGS plastic, wonder what all the fan boys ats would think of that lol. I would guess that this turned in the holder but as PCGS's warranty is garbage this is worth little more than a paperweight. Luckily it's a Philly coins so finding a replacement will be easier (and less expensive) than a branch mint would be. Anyone have a coin that has turned on them?

1913-Comp_1.jpg

Quite possible, I wonder if PCGS would conserve a con like this?? I should take this to Long Beach next time I go and ask.

Edited by coinbuf

Thanks Lance :) I really love the strike on that coin looks almost matte proof like. For a change of pace here is one of my dog coins funny actually that the majority of my dog coins are in PCGS plastic, wonder what all the fan boys ats would think of that lol. I would guess that this turned in the holder but as PCGS's warranty is garbage this is worth little more than a paperweight. Luckily it's a Philly coins so finding a replacement will be easier (and less expensive) than a branch mint would be. Anyone have a coin that has turned on them?

1913-Comp_1.jpg

If you have owned the coin since before the change in the guarantee it will still be honored. You only have to prove you purchased it before that date. I believe is was 1/1/2009.

If you have owned the coin since before the change in the guarantee it will still be honored. You only have to prove you purchased it before that date. I believe is was 1/1/2009.

Yes that's somewhat true and I have owned the coin since '04, but proving that would be the difficult part. I bought it from a PCGS forum member and while I have the pm's from when the deal was done the cert number was never discussed only the date and dollar amount. So looking at it from their standpoint it could have been a different coin, and I understand that they would want to protect themselfs.

Tracing dies and die states in Conder tokens. Both the obverse and reverse dies of the Middlesex 383 were used prior to be combined for this one. The 383 is 'scarce', meaning 75-200 known. The 378a is 'RR', meaning 11 to 30 known. The Irish token is also 'scarce'. The combination of these 5 tokens in a collection, probably unique. All this for fractions of pennies on the dollar of US issued coppers of these times in these grades.

Best, HT

Middlesex.378A.NGC.MS65_zpso7jkoslw.jpg

Ireland.321.NGC.MS64RB_zpsgzulcvcl.jpg

f6e32d72-a04e-4cb4-8f3e-965453172f87_zpsmpwasp4x.jpg