• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

Nice NEWPS Broadie. (thumbs u

Honestly, I am having a hard time finding any HTT's in the past 1.5 years - they just don't seem to be on the market as much. Half of what I have purchased have been from you. Even at FUN last year, I could only find one to buy from Evan Gale at Moon real estate pricing, nothing of note in that whole bourse otherwise.....

Happy Thanksgiving, HT

Thanks HT! :)

I'm honestly not having any issues finding quality HTT's on a regular basis. Shows can be feast or famine... But I've been lucky the last few shows to have stumbled upon more then expected. Look forward to seeing your newp! :)

Alas, I should have kept going on the HT-51 and then flipped it to Broadie for a 30% markup.. :)

HT, As your having issues finding anything why don't you send me a "want list"?

I'll keep that 30% markup in mind! ;):banana:

1899 George Allers Jewelers, Jersey City, NJ, Rulau Jer-1

Not a HTT but as Allers was the first to use the "TIME IS MONEY" on a Large Cent sized copper planchet after Smith 7 years before C.D. Peacock figured this would fit here.

2w5kmlw.jpg

I just reviewed the final prices of all the HTT's in Steve Hayden's auction last night. This series definitely seems to be on the move as some record prices were paid for HTT's in VG through AU grades. I only won one HTT in this sale which I'll post once in hand.

I just reviewed the final prices of all the HTT's in Steve Hayden's auction last night. This series definitely seems to be on the move as some record prices were paid for HTT's in VG through AU grades. I only won one HTT in this sale which I'll post once in hand.

Crazy stuff for sure! I agree many of the collector-grade pieces went for higher-than-usual prices, but I'm not convinced it is indicative of the entire series. IMO Steve has had some anomalous good fortune in his recent sales, especially since he went to the online auction format. I haven't seen S-B, HA, Presidential or others having the same good fortune. For example, the HT348 Steve sold for $1201.00 has been on the market and available for +/- $750 for about two years as I recall! :o The Beck's Bath token in VF was available at the Summer Baltimore show and the Philly ANA for $1300 and sold for $1550.00. I guess I should have bought both of them when I had the chance. lol

On the other hand, Steve couldn't even get his money back on the HT381 in NGC VF30 he bought on eBay a few months ago...no bids on a normally popular, problem-free, NGC-certified R5 token! Nor could he even get a $60 bid on a half-decent, circulated HT176. I think it just goes to show this is tough series to predict.

What IS predictable about Steve's auctions though is the consistency of the usual 3 to 4 deep-pocketed collectors who put out big money for the sale's anchor pieces. The common collector can't compete with those guys when they really want something.

So...what did I get? Well, a handful of tokens, but only two I didn't previously have examples of and the rest are upgrades or flips...only a couple that I am excited about though.

Broadie -- Looking forward to seeing what you picked up. :)

Hi Folks,

Here is my newp from the Stack's auction. The obverse is from a die used on several commercial tokens in the HTT series including the one Broadstruck shows above. The designer was Husleman, and the maker was Robinson, Jones, and Co. from Attleboro, Mass. Recall the HT-152-153 tokens for that company - whose main line was metallic buttons.

It memorializes the Marquis de La Fayette who helped us beat the Brits in the American War for Independence. Lafayette served as a major-general in the Continental Army under George Washington.

This one is a touch weak on the obverse strike but it has rich surfaces with a mild wood grain texture. Nice cartwheels under the light on both sides. All the white streaks are the scratches and scuffs on the holder.

Only 5 vendors issued HTT's from Rhode Island. So while this one is an R1 it is still essentially representing a more hard to get token. Despite its commonness, 14 in BN and 7 in RB have been certified by NGC with the following in MS grades:

62BN - 5; RB - 3

63BN - 4; RB - 3

64BN - 1; RB - 1

66BN - 1

This 'common' token, combined with the history is one reason why I like to collect HTT's and would rather have 15 MS HTT's than a very common 1916-D dime in good, which would be about equal cost, for example..... (shrug)

RIP Russ and thanks for your research. This thread is dedicated to you and your efforts. :)

HT-425NGCMS63.jpg

Gilbert_du_Motier_Marquis_de_Lafayette.png

HT - I like your new piece, but as I went back a few pages in this thread, I saw this VERY COOL and WILD looking counterstamp token of yours. The counterstamp position on the face is what really interested me. That's a neat example!

Nice Counterstamps! Here is my only HTT counterstamp, the well known O&G, the full stamp of which is only partially counterstamped on this example.

Best, HT

1835hcctrsmpEF45_zpsd38a6f32.jpg

Thanks Carbert! Tell you what, I will trade you both and several more MS HTT's for that amazing 1853-O half you have - I am still looking for one to match! (thumbs u

Best, HT

Here are 3 antislavery tokens. The first one is an HT-81 from the HTT series, the other two are Conders from the mid-1790's UK. The DH-1118 is a farthing and shown to scale relative to the DH-1038B 1/2 penny and the HT-81 large cent size HTT. I got the two Conders as a pair at the Houston Money Show. The dealer also had a HT-81 with a better strike than mine but it was luster challenged for the grade. All three of these tokens have cartwheel luster under the light.

Anti-slavery tokens are popular and therefore carry a premium. The HT-81 and the DH-1038B are R1 and Common, respectively, but usually uncommon in high grades. The DH-1118 farthing is an RR in the Dalton and Hamer book, meaning 30 to 75 known. In the Conder series, there are quite a few varieties of the Am I Not a Man half pennies and farthings. This design motif was also struck on a large cent sibling to the HT-81 - 3 are known today, you can imagine, given their popular theme, that most of us won't be close to affording them when they come up for auction. So the closest is the Conder Am I Not a Man tokens.

What is great about these tokens is that they show there were enlightened individuals who were willing to take the torch of anti-slavery before the American Civil War in both the UK and the US. Truly a piece of history for each one.

Best, HT

MontageASNGCAU58.jpg

MontageASNGCAU58.jpg

Beautiful tokens HT! And I really enjoy the photography and presentation. Glad you had success at Houston! :)

I'll try to post some newps soon. Meanwhile, we're still waiting on Broadie to show us his Hayden Auction pickup.... :taptaptap:;)

Well, I'll go ahead then and post one of my purchases from Steve Hayden's recent auction. This piece may not appeal to everyone, but I will enjoy owning it. As Steve cataloged it:

LOW 91 / HT-349 R5 FINE Or better by wear but tooled. Much detail usually missing has been added and create the impression that it is the Unique Low 91 when it is actually a Low 89. Bucklin's Interest Tables, Troy New York. From the John Ford, Don Miller, DuPont and George Tilden collections earlier from Stack's June 2004 sale where it realized $431.25.

I paid much less ... and IMO a bargain to own a unique piece with such a neat pedigree. Yeah, it is tooled, but that is the beauty of it. Ford, Miller, DuPont, and Tilden all thought this piece was worthy of their collections. They held it in their hands and studied it. Tilden's collection was sold when...1921? So this token has a long history. Now I can say it is in my collection, which I think is pretty cool. This is part of the joy of numismatics. :)

Low91o.jpgLow91r.jpg

For what I know will be an appreciative audience, here are a couple of cool NEWPs for your enjoyment. :grin:

In my experience, I have found the William Seward tokens (Low 13-15) to be very challenging -- in fact, nearly non-existent -- in higher collector grades (XF and above). The Gulian Verplanck tokens (Low 16) are plentiful by comparison. I was very fortunate to acquire this Low 13 from a prominent dealer at a recent show. It was fresh from a NY estate and off the market for many years. I'll venture to guess that perhaps only 2-3 comparable examples have come to market in the past 5 years. I grade it AU55, but it is at NGC to be entombed to we'll see what they say in a few weeks. :)

(1834) William Seward, HT-26 / Low 13, R-4+

HT26-1.jpg

Next is an equally elusive -- if not more so -- example of the "Catch Club" token. This is a nice EF+ in my opinion and I suspect it is among the finest known for the variety.

(1830s) Catch Club, Philadelphia PA, HT-405 / Low 228, Brass, R6

HT405_ANACS_EF40.jpg

Next is an equally elusive -- if not more so -- example of the "Catch Club" token. This is a nice EF+ in my opinion and I suspect it is among the finest known for the variety.

Great newps EXOJ... Is this the Catch Club that was in a ANACS EF-40 old white chase holder hm

Great newps EXOJ... Is this the Catch Club that was in a ANACS EF-40 old white chase holder hm

lol I would have bet $100 that would be the first thing you asked. You do not miss a thing. Yes it is. :banana:

OK one more before the end of the year or world tomorrow...

Happy Holidays everyone! :)

1837 George A. Jarvis Tea & Wine Dealer, New York, HT-283 / Low-122, R-2.

Ex: Dice/Hicks collection.

xelfle.jpg

Page 7? Really?! Time to bump this thread back up to Page 1! :grin:

And BTW, Happy New Year to everyone!

I "got lucky" :banana: and picked up this sexy gal a few months ago. In spite of a small repaired area on the obverse above the head, I believe it is easily in the top 10 pieces extant -- if not the top 5 or 6. While some might not compromise on having a problem-free example, they would have to look far and wide today to find an available Beck's Public Baths with this much detail...believe me, I've looked! R3? I don't think so!

So until Broadstruck decides to sell me his, this one will have to do! ;)

HT441_NGCAU_Det.jpg

Yeah, never really dealt with any of these, so I'm going through it.

edit: These are very cool coins with great designs. I love all of the samples and there's a great variety in these.

So until Broadstruck decides to sell me his, this one will have to do! ;)

EXOJ when my gal finally stops lathering and rinses we'll talk! ;):D

Here's some more info on the Beck's Bath:

One of the most famous 19th century tokens listed in The 100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens by Q. David Bowers and Katherine Jaeger as their number 86.

While today we may think that, per the saying “cleanliness is next to godliness” it was not always so. In the period from about 1832 to 1844 when Charles Beck distributed his Beck’s Public Baths tokens in Richmond Virginia as bathing was an occasional experience at best. Houses did not have indoor plumbing and for most people in the city the closest thing to a bath was wiping with a soapy wet cloth. Across the country some academies and boarding schools made it an offense to bathe in the colder months as the practice being deemed unhealthy. For those who desired to bathe public baths were operated in most of the larger cities. Records show that in 1832 Charles Beck was a confectioner and the operator of a bathing facility. The baths were in operation until at least 1844. These tokens about the size of a quarter dollar may have circulated locally as currency or more likely they were used as admission checks.

In 1859 New York City numismatist Charles I. Bushnell published An Arrangement of Tradesmen’s Cards, Political Tokens. Soon the Beck’s token became a favorite with it’s somewhat risqué depiction of a nude woman. Naturally the popularity for this token was immediate and widespread due to the finely engraved naked woman on the obverse. Collectors with an eye for beauty eagerly latched onto these Beck’s Public Baths tokens at an early time. Demand has always exceeded supply since they were first noticed in Bushnell’s early reference.

Nice Exo, thanks for the report Broadie! I am sad to report that despite scouring the floor and the auction lots in the Heritage sale, I was unable to locate a single HTT to add to my collection at FUN. So I spent my money on Conders - my one time each year to see them in hand from Gary Groll and Ron Sirna, who BTW, the latter is getting his **s sued by Larry Shepherd. Larry is apparently suing anyone who will listen right now, the list of defendents is apparently growing by the day and we will hear more about this soon......

Best, HT

Nice Exo, thanks for the report Broadie! I am sad to report that despite scouring the floor and the auction lots in the Heritage sale, I was unable to locate a single HTT to add to my collection at FUN. So I spent my money on Conders - my one time each year to see them in hand from Gary Groll and Ron Sirna, who BTW, the latter is getting his **s sued by Larry Shepherd. Larry is apparently suing anyone who will listen right now, the list of defendents is apparently growing by the day and we will hear more about this soon......

Best, HT

Heritage did have some decent stuff just nothing I needed as I had all those bases covered and only tossed in one bid for a duplicate for my secondary set. Sometimes you gotta venture off the path of mainstream dealers and head into no-mans-land as I've picked up some great HTT's from dealers in the nose bleed section that didn't even know what they had.

I've known Larry since the late 1980's and Ron is one of nicest soft spoken dealers you'll ever meet... So I'm not sure what this cat fight is all about as Ron recently had a LOT of Larry's pedigreed proof IHC's in his cases. I personally try to avoid anything that raises my blood pressure and doubt I could name another hobby field that has as much political BS and drama queens as numismatics.