• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

1834 William H. Milton, Boston, Massachusetts, HT-164/ Low-266.

In a ICG holder but far prettier in hand... For some odd reason copper recessed in these opaque acrylic holders is tough to image.

On this HTT variety the die sinker was spelling challenged.... The the name of the hall Milton rented space in to run his clothing business is spelled differently on the obverse/reverse.

t7g9xy.jpg

And here are my GNSA show newps from yesterday -

1840 Bergen Iron Works, Lakewood, New Jersey, HT-205 / Low-142, Brass, Rarity-2.

I've been looking for a nice eye appealing Bergen in higher grade that wasn't spotted or darkly stained for about 4 years.

2d29547.jpg

1837 Henry Anderson, NYC, NY, HT-219 / Low-107 R-2.

This Anderson was just lovely in hand RB obverse and trace red reverse.

It's also a early die stage that's well struck on both the obverse and reverse... So I couldn't leave it behind ;)

264p62q.jpg

Nice! I admire that Bergen design (the eagle's body looks sort of.... ducklike?) and although I have not been searching that long I haven't seen one I consider attractive (till now!).

The Anderson is just about perfect. Wow, I don't see any marks, and a full strike. Patience and persistence are rewarded.

Great snags, brother Broadie!

On the "Milton" token, at least they got the spelling right on the obverse.

Faneuil Hall, famous Boston landmark since about 1740

292px-Faneuil_Hall_LOC_4a30408u.jpg

Faneuil Hall is still a shopping mall today and in 1765 John Hancock as the governor of Massachusetts sponsored a Lottery with proceeds towards remodeling the hall. (More info attainable on the web) In 1830's Milton most likely just had a stall with a neighboring merchant butchering livestock. Although all the Milton token varieties are only considered R-1 to R-2 on the rarity scale they circulated heavily in commerce. Some Milton's are condition census in XF, as they aren't attainable in higher grades.

Must have been quite an atmosphere for clothes shopping, eh?

Sure, but due to the lack of indoor plumbing the chickens, cows, and pigs might have smelled prettier? ;)

Never photographed this one with a DSLR before till just the other day :)

1834 Hard Times Token "Whig Victory" HT-14A / Low-6, Brass, Rarity-6.

Ex. Robert A. Vlack collection & Rulau's Plate Coin.

8z2tuc.jpg

I re-imaged these with a macro lens I bought well over a year ago but never tried...

I think I found a new favorite marco lens :)

1835 Alfred D. Willard, Boston, Mass., ht-171 / Low-328

16jg1tt.jpg

1834 Ezra B. Sweet New York, NY, Low-140 / HT-334, Rarity-4.

Ex. Charles Litman collection.

2i1ms93.jpg

This is what I have so far........ Wish I knew how to blow it up to a larger size here on the boards, full size is really fun in inspect.

Best, HT

HTTB.jpg

This is what I have so far........ Wish I knew how to blow it up to a larger size here on the boards, full size is really fun in inspect.

Best, HT

Neat-O... Yes full size would be fun as this is just a teaser! :P

Could you post your HT-70's and your HT-205 as I'd like to see those.

By the way the Brass one you have labeled as HT-70 is a HT-71.

Image corrected for HT-71, here is a better close up of HT-205, I will get the HT-70's uploaded soon. This one was purchased raw from gynandroidhead (Greg Heim) on ebay.

Best, HT

HT-205NGCAU58.jpg

Image corrected for HT-71, here is a better close up of HT-205, I will get the HT-70's uploaded soon. This one was purchased raw from gynandroidhead (Greg Heim) on ebay. Best, HT

Thanks HT, As I haven't seen a TPG graded slider before so it was good to see what NGC considered AU58.

Nice! I admire that Bergen design (the eagle's body looks sort of.... ducklike?) and although I have not been searching that long I haven't seen one I consider attractive (till now!).

The Anderson is just about perfect. Wow, I don't see any marks, and a full strike. Patience and persistence are rewarded.

Great snags, brother Broadie!

Sorry No+4Me I missed this post till just now...

Thanks however you must have some funny looking Ducks in your area hm

Well at least you didn't state the Eagle looks like a Penguin :D

nlq4b7.jpg

Here are the two HT-70's.

Best, HT

HT, Thanks for finally posting these as we spoke about them like 30 pages ago on this thread! :D

I like your RB example and the MS64BN is as fine if not finer then many of the MS65BN's out there (thumbs u

Also like the slab label as "I take the responsibility hard" is the first I've seen like that! lol

Thanks Broadie,

Notice that they are different die states..... the reason for the 63RB designation is because the reverse luster is a touch subdued, that is my take anyway, the obverse is booming in luster and as you can see it is well struck - still have all of the lines in the basket carrying President Jackson. The 64 has evidence of die rust on both sides as observed by the roughness shown in the fields, and the die crack running through H below the basket - later die state so it seems.

Best, HT

Another potential bidder warning:

A wrongly attributed Rarity-9 surfaced last night on Ebay having been designated as a HT-63A instead of HT-63/Low-55 Rarity-3 which it really is.

There's absolutely no trace evidence that this over graded VF35 was struck over a HT-72/Low-53.

Here's a HT-72/Low-53 =

205trsw.jpg

The peripheral weak strike along with the 1838 date is normal on the HT-63/Low-55 Mint Drop variety.

213hqua.jpg

23tl2me.jpg

v3huzm.jpg

Another potential bidder warning:

A wrongly attributed Rarity-9 surfaced last night on Ebay having been designated as a HT-63A instead of HT-63/Low-55 Rarity-3 which it really is.

There's absolutely no trace evidence that this over graded VF35 was struck over a HT-72/Low-53.

Thanks for the heads up.

And that is one UGLY HT-63 to boot! Yet another recent NGC fubar. doh!

Isn't the HT-63 a Rarity-1?

I see the seller already lowered the price by $150 since first listed last night. It started at $800 and is now $650. Someone must have clued him in to the questionable attribution.

BTW, in case anyone is interested in it, I can tell you the (equally ugly IMHO) AG3 357B the seller also has listed IS an actual 357B. I used to own that very token and sold it probably a couple of years ago ... although I can't recall now to who (it wasn't the current seller though).

Thanks for the heads up.

And that is one UGLY HT-63 to boot! Yet another recent NGC fubar. doh!

Isn't the HT-63 a Rarity-1?

I see the seller already lowered the price by $150 since first listed last night. It started at $800 and is now $650. Someone must have clued him in to the questionable attribution.

Yes lowered from $800 as raw that's like a $50-80 max token especially with the gouge on the obverse.

Rulau considers it R-1, Schuman feels it's R-3 which is more in line rarity wise especially at issue free XF or above.

I've been trying to get the seller to kill the auction so no one gets buried in this piece.

Seller is trying to profit from the slab label error as when I asked if he saw any evidence in hand I was told I needed to contact the TPG service as to why it was so attributed.

Seller is trying to profit from the slab label error as when I asked if he saw any evidence in hand I was told I needed to contact the TPG service as to why it was so attributed.

Pretty lame.

I see the eBay seller ended the "HT-63A" auction this morning ... for the right reasons I hope. :wishluck:

Yes it was ended for the right reason... Kudos to the seller for doing so! :applause:

OK now back to posting images :)

1837 Smith's Clock Establishment, New York, HT-315 / Low-136

Ex: John J. Ford Collection, Donald Miller; and Joseph Barnett collections.

2rw2991.jpg