• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

Back on March 18th of this year, Broadstruck posted some gorgeous examples of Squire & Sons merchant tokens NY833 and NY835, which are descendents of this HT-324A Squire & Merritt. According to Rulau, Squire & Merritt partnered to issue Hard Times store cards in 1836, and then Squire alone issued tokens from 1840 to 1855. All Squire & Merritt HTTs are scarce. Although Rulau gives this one a modest R-4 rating, I consider it much scarcer, especially in this grade. In fact, this is the only example currently certified in any grade.

(1836) New York Squire & Merritt, HT-324A Plain Edge

324A_AU58.jpg

Back on March 18th of this year, Broadstruck posted some gorgeous examples of Squire & Sons merchant tokens NY833 and NY835, which are descendents of this HT-324A Squire & Merritt. According to Rulau, Squire & Merritt partnered to issue Hard Times store cards in 1836, and then Squire alone issued tokens from 1840 to 1855. All Squire & Merritt HTTs are scarce. Although Rulau gives this one a modest R-4 rating, I consider it much scarcer, especially in this grade. In fact, this is the only example currently certified in any grade.

(1836) New York Squire & Merritt, HT-324A Plain Edge

I actually like this more as it's a example that wasn't counter struck with the street address.

The die sinker leaving off the actual street address rendered these useless as merchant store cards.

Since south street stretches miles along the waterfront and it would have made for a lengthy horse and carriage ride.

(41,907)

Here's a pair of MS62s, which Broadie knows is my favorite grade! lol Sorry, that's an inside joke. ;)

Enjoy these Clays!

(1840) Henry Clay, Satirical, HT-79 / Low 192, R-2, Copper

HT79_MS62.jpg

This is one of the nicest Henry Clay I have seen in a very long time. Even the reverse is well struck as it is very hard to find a reverse where the "WE" is very visible and great color........Congrat's!!

This is one of the nicest Henry Clay I have seen in a very long time. Even the reverse is well struck as it is very hard to find a reverse where the "WE" is very visible and great color........Congrat's!!

Yeah it's a better then averagely seen "E" on a copper variety as only the Brass seem to come well struck.

I have seen a fully struck copper AU58 with a sharp "E" within the last year but it was clearly re-colored but still sold for moon money due to it's strike.

1837 P. B. & S. Deveau, New York, HT-250 / Low-115, R-2.

Tougher to locate Rarity-2 Deveau Store Card who like his Boot & Shoe Merchant competitor Henry Anderson was also located on Chatham Square. This token is usually encountered in low circulated grades and when found higher is mostly seen full brown and somewhat verdigris encrusted. This example is typically struck, problem free, and just showing some signs of light handling. However as far as eye appeal for the issue it’s well above what is usually encountered. Fading red brown surfaces with sufficient amounts of remaining trace mint red of both the obverse and reverse along with touches of bluish patina.

35mqqdi.jpg

Here's the 5th wrongly designated HT-19 Rarity 5 just listed on EBay.

Unlike the other 4 wrong examples which had all been HT-20 / Low-62 R-1 varieties this is really a HT-18 / Low-60 R-1.

I've again contacted the seller with full details and hopefully it's killed prior to someone just going by the TPG label info and paying $500 for a $125+ token.

Update: Auction listing has been removed! :headbang:

1zxse9g.jpg

Here's the 5th wrongly designated HT-19 Rarity 5 just listed on EBay.

Unlike the other 4 wrong examples which had all been HT-20 / Low-62 R-1 varieties this is really a HT-18 / Low-60 R-1.

I've again contacted the seller with full details and hopefully it's killed prior to someone just going by the TPG label info and paying $500 for a $125+ token.

Update: Auction listing has been removed! :headbang:

That is good news.

I also emailed the seller within an hour or so of the auction being posted, even going so far as to include a link to a detailed photo of a real HT-19. I'm happy the auction was ended, although I would have loved to buy a HT-19 in AU58 for $495. :grin:

NGC is really starting to tick me off with these misattributions. They screwed up two more of my own HTTs on my most recent submission. Nearly three weeks later they still aren't fixed. :mad::censored:

That said, I'm wary of the folks ATS starting to slab HTTs...I hate the NGC vs. PCGS BS that will surely result. :slapfight::(

Newp just received today :)

1835 Capped Bust Quarter "Houck's Panacea Baltimore" Maryland, Counterstamp, HT-140, Rarity-7.

2pto03b.jpg

This is a newly discovered date as up until now none have been known dated beyond 1819 on a capped bust quarter.

293ccjq.jpg

Since Broadie recently posted what might be this thread's first "true" HT-era counterstamp--that really awesome and scarce Houck's Panacea 1835 CBQ--I thought I'd share a special Hard Times-era counterstamp of my own:

1841 "N - BRIDGWATER / 1841" Struck on a Spain 1814 Crowned C-CJ 8-Reales of Cadiz Mint, HT-178, Ex-Steinberg, Rarity-9, Unique

HT177_caption.jpg

As you can see from the photo's caption, I've actually labeled this a HT-177/178. That is because, as Russ Rulau has suggested, I believe the Van Ormer (HT-177) and Steinberg (HT-178) pieces are one and the same. I've spoken with a number of longtime counterstamp collectors and none have actually seen the "other" alleged piece, also a Ferdinand VII 8-Reales. So, until I can confirm otherwise, I believe this counterstamp to be unique on an 8-Reales.

Counterstamps from the Perkins family of gunsmiths of North Bridgewater, Massachusetts are also known on 1798 and 1817 Large Cents, although those stamps do not carry the date 1841 which, according to Rulau, is believed to be either an actual issue date, or may refer to the Model 1841 rifles produced for the Army Ordnance Department. :)

Nice Counterstamps! Here is my only HTT counterstamp, the well known O&G, the full stamp of which is only partially counterstamped on this example.

Best, HT

1835hcctrsmpEF45_zpsd38a6f32.jpg

Since Broadie recently posted what might be this thread's first "true" HT-era counterstamp--that really awesome and scarce Houck's Panacea 1819 CBQ--I thought I'd share a special Hard Times-era counterstamp of my own:

1841 "N - BRIDGWATER / 1841" Struck on a Spain 1814 Crowned C-CJ 8-Reales of Cadiz Mint, HT-178, Ex-Steinberg, Rarity-9, Unique

HT177_caption.jpg

As you can see from the photo's caption, I've actually labeled this a HT-177/178. That is because, as Russ Rulau has suggested, I believe the Van Ormer (HT-177) and Steinberg (HT-178) pieces are one and the same. I've spoken with a number of longtime counterstamp collectors and none have actually seen the "other" alleged piece, also a Ferdinand VII 8-Reales. So, until I can confirm otherwise, I believe this counterstamp to be unique on an 8-Reales.

Counterstamps from the Perkins family of gunsmiths of North Bridgewater, Massachusetts are also known on 1798 and 1817 Large Cents, although those stamps do not carry the date 1841 which, according to Rulau, is believed to be either an actual issue date, or may refer to the Model 1841 rifles produced for the Army Ordnance Department. :)

Superb piece ExoJ and nice write up! (thumbs u

For clarification it's provenance is ex: Stanley Steinberg not Gilbert Steinberg.

Also my new discovery Houck's Panacea CBQ is hard times era dated 1835 not 1819 ;)

1835 HT-201 / Low 163 Howell Works Garden, Allaire New Jersey R-3.

Newp with one of the best fully struck "TOKEN" reverses I've seen :)

24qq1hx.jpg

This token is far scarcer then the R-3 rating suggests and has been mentioned in auction catalog descriptions that it should be at least a R-4 to R-5.

It's usually found in VF or lower with problems and almost non existent over XF as they circulated heavily.

Since the planchet is always slightly dished do to the high relief rose obverse, the "OKE" in "TOKEN" on the reverse is almost always completely worn away as seen below on a previously owned example.

518xhx.jpg

Very nice Broadie, I have a newp to display soon, just an R1 but nice nevertheless. My first one in about a year, HTT's are hard to come by now, very uncommonly listed in auctions, and bidders are driving up the prices to multiples of what they were going for just a few years back.

Best, HT

Very nice Broadie, I have a newp to display soon, just an R1 but nice nevertheless. My first one in about a year, HTT's are hard to come by now, very uncommonly listed in auctions, and bidders are driving up the prices to multiples of what they were going for just a few years back.

Best, HT

Thanks HT and I look forward to seeing your newp... As far as prices well we had been spoiled for a bit as from 2002 until the 2008 as prices were lower. I recall conversations in 2008 with other HTT collectors right after the Dice/Hicks sale and we were shocked at some of the prices realized. Now step forward to 2012 and we'd all like to buy at Dice/Hicks prices! Honestly the series was depressed in the early 2000's due to some prominent players no longer being active. If you look at what some HTT's fetched between the late 1970's up until 2002 it was a different story.

Here's another newp :)

1834 "The Constitution As I Understand It" Low-12 / HT-25, R-1

I'll need to re-image this one with a 3rd light as there's far more peripheral trace mint red remaining which now is only seen in my photo at 6 O'clock on the obverse and reverse.

1214mrt.jpg

Broadie - For reference only, I have a HT-201 in a NGC EF-40 holder that is very close in detail to your newp. Nice pickup!

So is the HT-25 a keeper? Dang, I knew I should have bid higher. lol

And you should post your HT-51 here too. It is the nicest of your newps IMO. :)

Broadie - For reference only, I have a HT-201 in a NGC EF-40 holder that is very close in detail to your newp. Nice pickup!

Alas, I should have kept going on the HT-51 and then flipped it to Broadie for a 30% markup.. :)

So is the HT-25 a keeper? Dang, I knew I should have bid higher. lol

Thanks EXOJ and yes if the HT-25 wasn't a keeper it wouldn't be posted! ;)

I'm real happy about the following token below as not a single example of this variety has been available in over 4 years.

1837 "Not One Cent" Low-36 / HT-51, R-2

2i6kqy0.jpg

A big thanks to member EXOJ for backing off as he figured I might be bidding on it (thumbs u

That's it for this week, but I should have 1 or 2 newps to post next week :)

Thanks Broadie! It is good to see that HT-51. At least I can enjoy it via the photos. :cry:lol

One of my favorite newps was this piece from the S-B auction. It is a nice upgrade from my slabbed VF. They are getting tougher to find, especially problem-free:

New Jersey--Belleville. Undated (1837) T.D. Seaman. Low-155, HT-204B. Rarity-5. Copper. EF-45 BN (NGC).

S-B Description: Bold deep copper features with good definition to the devices despite the presence of overall light wear. There are no singularly distracting blemishes, and the eye appeal is strong for a circulated survivor of this very elusive store card from the Hard Times era.

168wkjk.jpg

oaw0lz.jpg

And getting back to some counterstamps, here is another newp courtesy of S-B. It is an unlisted variety of the L.L. SQUIRE counterstamp.

(1840) "L.L. SQUIRE" struck on a 1785-FM Mo Mint 2-reales. HT-331A (Unlisted). Counterstamp VF, Coin Fine. Rarity-9. Likely unique on this date and denomination.

As cataloged by S-B, it is the product of Hard Times Token issuer L.L. Squire, one of a partnership of ship chandlers and rope makers. Rulau acknowledges that there are other Squire, Merritt or Squire & Merritt counterstamps remaining to be discovered and identified. This was one of them: :)

2hrldag.jpg

2mxr12e.jpg

I bid on other lots, but I ran out of money! :cry:;)

I'll have a couple of other newp surprises too in the coming weeks ... as soon as my images are sent. :D

Alas, I should have kept going on the HT-51 and then flipped it to Broadie for a 30% markup.. :)

HT too funny you were in on the bidding action of the HT-51 too lol This was the only token in the sale I really had to have, as it's conservatively graded and could just as easily be a MS64RB. The HT-51 has always been way tougher to locate then all the HT-46 through HT-50 Not One Cent varieties in any grade. So thanks guys as it was nice to win it for a few hundred less then my max bid! :)

And getting back to some counterstamps, here is another newp courtesy of S-B. It is an unlisted variety of the L.L. SQUIRE counterstamp.

(1840) "L.L. SQUIRE" struck on a 1785-FM Mo Mint 2-reales. HT-331A (Unlisted). Counterstamp VF, Coin Fine. Rarity-9. Likely unique on this date and denomination.

Wow EXOJ you went full Inspector Clouseau on that lot as I didn't even see that one! (thumbs u :applause:

HT too funny you were in on the bidding action of the HT-51 too lol This was the only token in the sale I really had to have, as it's conservatively graded and could just as easily be a MS64RB. The HT-51 has always been way tougher to locate then all the HT-46 through HT-50 Not One Cent varieties in any grade. So thanks guys as it was nice to win it for a few hundred less then my max bid! :)

Had you told me all of that before bidding stopped... When it got to $300 I was thinking - R2, MS62, you kidding? I thought my early bid that high was aggressive and hence I abandoned there. I guess seeing it in hand and your knowledge gave you a better idea of value here. It is a very nice HTT for sure though!

Best, HT

Had you told me all of that before bidding stopped... When it got to $300 I was thinking - R2, MS62, you kidding? I thought my early bid that high was aggressive and hence I abandoned there. I guess seeing it in hand and your knowledge gave you a better idea of value here. It is a very nice HTT for sure though! Best, HT

That's why building a library for research is so important! In 1996 a raw CH BU RB unplated in the Sebring sale fetched $440.00 with just a description. The same raw token hammered $977.50 as CH BU in the 2002 Steinberg sale and it's muted RB with obverse/reverse carbon spots. The main Dice Hick's BU example ex: Miller/Tilden is a gorgeous brown example with blue patina but has 2 strike troughs on through on obverse which sold for $575.00. The other which was a hard looking Chocolate brown ex: Steinberg sold for $300 but was described as excessive obverse hairlines in 1989. R-2 means nothing as there's many R-1's that surface less then R-4's and as far as knocking it as a slabbed MS62 well there's PQ's and POS's for everything TPG entombed.

You all have likely heard by now that Russ Rulau passed away last week. :(

Here is a nice thread about it from ATS: RUSS RULAU

So I was thinking ... who is going to carry the HTT torch now? Who will update the catalog? We don't have a dedicated club or society like the CWTS. And TAMS probably has too much exonumia "bandwith" to manage.

Any thoughts on the subject? hm

1835 Walsh's General Store, Lansingburgh, N.Y., Low-101 / HT-218, R-1

My main Baltimore show newp which was cherry picked by being in the right place just as the negotiations finalized on a older HTT collection. This is the toughest of the 3 Walsh varieties on which the die sinker misspelled the name of the city and although just considered Rarity-1 as per Lyman Low is only available in lower grades. Here's a list of some prominent collectors graded examples - Garrett owned a VF, Dunham a Fine, Brand a XF, and Ford a Cleaned XF which was ex: F.C.C Boyd. Having researched older auction catalogs back to the 1940's this is most likely the finest example known and was off the market for the last 20 years.

2hzok78.jpg

You all have likely heard by now that Russ Rulau passed away last week. :(

Here is a nice thread about it from ATS: RUSS RULAU

So I was thinking ... who is going to carry the HTT torch now? Who will update the catalog? We don't have a dedicated club or society like the CWTS. And TAMS probably has too much exonumia "bandwith" to manage.

Any thoughts on the subject? hm

Sorry to hear about Russ Rulau passing as it's been rumored he was ill for the last year or more. The HTT book hasn't been updated since 2001 and the Complete Token book since 2004. Both will continue to be viable research tools just as Walter Breen's 25 year old Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins still is today.

1834 William H. Milton, Boston, Massachusetts, HT-163 / Low-265, R-1.

Here's my other newp from the same older collection. The straight lined Milton variety without scroll ornaments and Faneuil spelled correctly on both the obverse and reverse.

This is another HTT that due to it's R-1 rarity looks easy to locate on paper until you've been working with the series for a while. Difficult to not only to locate at AU or above (as only 2 other examples have been on the market in the last 4 1/2 years) but the center lettering is usually completely obliterated on both sides due to die stage or weak strikes. Here's a UNC fully struck example.

2hz0fmv.jpg

Nice NEWPS Broadie. (thumbs u

Honestly, I am having a hard time finding any HTT's in the past 1.5 years - they just don't seem to be on the market as much. Half of what I have purchased have been from you. Even at FUN last year, I could only find one to buy from Evan Gale at Moon real estate pricing, nothing of note in that whole bourse otherwise.....

Happy Thanksgiving, HT