• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

The old Heritage HT-20 / L-62 example is now on Ebay and the seller has been notified that it's wrongly attributed.

wwi82o.jpg

Here's another seller contacted a few days ago.

This is actually a HT-32/Low-18 not a HT-31/Low-17... A 32/18 is a R.2 rarity whereas a true 31/17 is R.5 and excessively scarce above VF35.

8zisdh.jpg

The old Heritage HT-20 / L-62 example is now on Ebay and the seller has been notified that it's wrongly attributed.

The auction was just canceled and the seller is sending it for correction.

1834 Andrew Jackson, Roman Bust, HT-6 / Low-4, R.2, Brass

Nice lustrous surfaces and original patina... Not dipped bright like so many others often seen.

Typical softly struck reverse centers due to the obverse high relief bust design and a minor rim clip @ 9 o'clock.

a46dt.jpg

Here is my example. It is stronger in the center, but not original. Still acceptable, so far as I'm concerned.

BillJones, Wow that's very nice reverse strike on your example. This issue is seen mostly cleaned, damaged, or corroded. I've passed on every so called UNC as they've been either dipped or over graded. Bob Schuman's UNC in his book also has a fully struck reverse in fact his obverse is such an early die stage there's full pleated lines in each of the folds of the toga. Here's another example I have which is a bit better struck on the reverse, yet still not as well as yours.

2h2mwiu.jpg

1838 New York - Am I not a Woman & Sister HT-81 / Low-54

This is the classic antislavery token is also said to commemorate the formation of the Liberty Party in 1838. Thanks to the research of Eric P. Newman, collectors may now know a good deal more about the background of HT-81 and HT-82. His conclusions are summarized here: In late 1837 the American Anti-Slavery Society, located at 143 Nassau Street, New York, commissioned the firm of Gibbs Gardner & Co. of Belleville, N.J. to strike copper tokens (HT-81, the Kneeling Female piece). The tokens probably cost the AASS about 50 cents per hundred, as they contained copper then worth 39.5 cents per hundred. Beginning May 4, 1833, the AASS published a weekly newspaper, The Emancipator, published by Charles W. Denison and edited by Joshua Leavitt. In its issue of Nov. 23, 1837, the Emancipator ran an advertisement offering the Female Slave tokens at $1 per hundred. Made of good copper and with a device on reverse similar to legal U.S. cents, they sold well. The ad also said that it was proposed to issue Kneeling Male Slave tokens as well, and this accounts for the few pattern pieces of HT-82, which were never produced for circulation. U.S. Mint Director Patterson moved quickly to suppress the circulation of HT-81, and it is apparent that by late December, 1837, he had succeeded in part. No further ads for the Female Slave tokens appeared in the AASS weekly or in other Journals, but since the number of pieces of HT-81 still surviving is quite large, they may well have been distributed by middlemen who paid about 62 cents per hundred for them in early 1838. Gibbs Gardner & Co. were selected by the AASS in part because John Gibbs’ Belleville Mint had also struck the 1833 Liberia cent tokens for another American anti-slavery group in Maryland. The AASS actually distributed a British anti-slavery medal in the U.S. in 1835, selling for 25 cents each, the 1834 Emancipation Jubilee Medal.

2cqmow7.jpg

Broadie - That HT-81 is beautiful ... but do you have one of these sexy ladies? ;)lol

HT81token.jpg

I picked this up at a local show once and I remember it was the only thing close to a HTT I could find ... and I couldn't go home empty handed! :D

Broadie - nice strike on the HT-81 - the date is strong and those are hard to find. Exo, yours has be best strike I have yet to see. ;)

Best, HT

Thanks guys and no I don't have one of those Patrick Mint tokens :cry:

As I am strangely attracted to HT-era counterstamps, I couldn't resist picking up this obscure (and nifty) little piece from the recently-completed Goldberg auction. They described it as:

1807 S-271 R1 "Comet" Obverse G6 but Counterstamped. Attractive glossy medium chocolate brown. Smooth and problem-free except for a large, strongly impressed counterstamp on the obverse displaying "AG" in a serrated rectangle that covers a third of that side. Not listed in Brunk. Looks quite old. The date is bold. E-MDS, Breen state III. Just starting to show the "Comet" flaw behind the head.

Although not listed in Brunk, Rulau catalogues it as HT-A458. It is unattributed as to its origin or maker. A very large and distinctive counterstamp, it is easily identified as the Rulau plate coin.

HT-A458, "A.G." Counterstamped on 1807 Large Cent, R9, Unique, ex-Dr. Sol Taylor collection

HTA458_R9.jpg

Here's a copy of Kenneth Rendell's late 1950's private sale of 154 HTT's from the George T. Tilden collection.

George T. Tilden bought the Robert Bird and Frank Shumway collections around 1915 along with many others from Henry Chapman and Elmer Sears.

Donald Miller with the financial assistance of George DuPont as an intermediary purchased the George T. Tilden offerings by Kenneth Rendell.

Since I have a few of these tokens now owning Donald Miller's personal catalog from his library of the collection is pretty neat-o! :)

35l7wcy.jpg

Keep the pages coming Broadie (thumbs u

Sorry HT that's all I'm posting but here's one of the tokens Carl Wurtzbach purchased from Frank Shumway.

1837 "Millions for Defense, Not One Cent for Tribute" HT-42 / Low-28

2i6hok0.jpg

Page 60 with now 57,133 total thread views :)

Cool. So which of your "ex-Miller" HTTs is your favorite? Let's see it! :)

1841 Daniel Webster HT-20 / Low-62

EX- Gilbert Steinberg, Joseph Griner, Herbert Oeschner, Donald Miller, George T. Tilden.

b9eu7q.jpg

2ld7xuq.jpg

These three hard times tokens below cover the issued store cards for the state of Rhode Island.

1833 Ephraim A. Hathaway, Providence, Rhode Island, HT-428, Low-74.

6zakiw.jpg

1834 W.A. Handy, Providence, Rhode Island, HT-427 / Low-78.

20rsepu.jpg

1835 Clark & Anthony, Providence, Rhode Island, HT-425 / Low-94.

noajd1.jpg

Broadie,

One word..... ooh! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

All 3 for my HT-47? Just kidding. (shrug)

Here's a write-up from The Numismatist in 1916 showing the Prices Realized of Henry C. Miller 150 piece Hard Times Token collection sold by Thomas Elder on March 11, 1916.

Looking at the bottom of the list there's a few coin issues shown for a price comparison such as a 1856 FEC in Unc, 1796 $2 1/2, and 1849 $5 Mormon, patterns, and proof issues. Unknown to many Hard Times Tokens were the most popular US series collected from 1910 throughout the remainder of the teens which yielded some magnificent collections such as Miller's sold at auction by Elder, Raymond, and others during this era.

23k6t8x.png

Of note in the auction prices above:

Low 7 (R6) Unc. = $29.00

Low 7 in MS63 in Rulau is $5000

Low 70 (R7) Unc. = $21.00

Low 70 in MS63 in Rulau is $2500

1856 Flying Eagle Cent Unc. $10.25

How times have changed. PCGS price today in MS63 = $21,500.00

1000 minted in MS, probably 300-500 extant (R2)........ And many more extant in proof.

Hmm........... hm

Best, HT

So true I recall at a show in the late 80's asking dealer Jesse Lipka of Numismania who I bumped into on the brouse floor if he had anything neat? He reached into his front two pants pockets and pulled out 2 rubber banded 3-4 coin (6-8 total as I recall) stacks of PCGS OGH CH-GEM 1856 FEC's.

Also Colonel John A. Beck of Pittsburgh Pa. began collecting in the late 1860’s and at the time of his death it was discovered that he had hoarded 531 1856 Flying Eagle Cents in all grades.

IMHO had Hard Times Tokens been been published in the Redbook starting in 1947 we would be seeing entirely different prices today.