• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

I have come to the conclusion that you need to kick your habit and unload some of them turtles - I will take the second from the top and the bottom one (thumbs u

Broadstruck, What are the HT numbers of each of them turtles?

The first 4 from the top are all HT-32 / Low-18, a HT-33 / Low-19 in the middle, and 4 HT-34 / Low-34's below.

1841 Daniel Webster, HT-18 / Low-60, R-2

Although available in RB it's not easily attainable with original surfaces as the last four examples I've seen had been dipped or varnished.

2d9tp54.jpg

N'ice Broadie, here is my HT-18 for comparison, mine seems to be very well struck - don't think it is varnished or dipped (?)

Best, HT

HT-18NGCMS63.jpg

N'ice Broadie, here is my HT-18 for comparison, mine seems to be very well struck - don't think it is varnished or dipped (?) Best, HT

Nope your brown example is fine :)

1838 Beehive, HT-83A / Low 194A, Copper

A NEWP from Steve Hayden's sale yesterday.

A nice Beehive has been on my personal want list for quite some time, so I was very happy to pick up this one. More elusive than its R4 rating would indicate, I've personally seen less than a handful come up for sale in the past few years, this one being as nice as any of them.

Just thought I'd share my joy with those who can appreciate it. :cloud9:

These images are from Steve's website:

HT83A-o.jpg

HT83A-r.jpg

A nice Beehive has been on my personal want list for quite some time, so I was very happy to pick up this one. More elusive than its R4 rating would indicate, I've personally seen less than a handful come up for sale in the past few years, this one being as nice as any of them.

EXOJ, Very nice Beehive! :headbang:

Steve-O's auction HTT's I felt hammered some serious moon money and although there were about three I wanted only managed winning one which I felt was a bargain.

I'll post my own pics once it arrives :)

Steve-O's auction HTT's I felt hammered some serious moon money and although there were about three I wanted only managed winning one which I felt was a bargain.

I'll post my own pics once it arrives :)

Thanks. I can't believe you're going to keep us in suspense though. Which one did you get?

You're right about the moon money ... Steve's last couple auctions have brought really strong prices on some of the scarcer HTTs. Of course, when A.F. and a couple of the other big boys decide they want something, there isn't much little 'ol me can do about it. There is a strong market among the "obsessed" lol and deep pocketed and not an abundance of really nice, new material. Even Joe Levine's recent sale, in contrast to previous years, had a comparatively small selection of HTTs. He said they just didn't creep out of the woodwork this year. So, I feel fortunate to get what I can. I think Steve not charging a buyer's fee makes bidders feel less inhibited as well.

I picked up a few other tokens too, including the HT 344 / Low 317 Henderson & Lossing, which I felt was a real bargain considering its rarity, and the HT 32 / Low 18 (pictured below), which I saw in-hand at Baltimore and liked it better than AU. Plus, it is much tougher than the 33 and 34 to find in higher collectible grades with nice, original surfaces. It was worth the PU. :)

HT32-o.jpg

HT32-r.jpg

Thanks. I can't believe you're going to keep us in suspense though. Which one did you get?

You're right about the moon money ... Steve's last couple auctions have brought really strong prices on some of the scarcer HTTs. Of course, when A.F. and a couple of the other big boys decide they want something, there isn't much little 'ol me can do about it. There is a strong market among the "obsessed" lol and deep pocketed and not an abundance of really nice, new material. Even Joe Levine's recent sale, in contrast to previous years, had a comparatively small selection of HTTs. He said they just didn't creep out of the woodwork this year. So, I feel fortunate to get what I can. I think Steve not charging a buyer's fee makes bidders feel less inhibited as well.

I picked up a few other tokens too, including the HT 344 / Low 317 Henderson & Lossing, which I felt was a real bargain considering its rarity, and the HT 32 / Low 18 (pictured below), which I saw in-hand at Baltimore and liked it better than AU. Plus, it is much tougher than the 33 and 34 to find in higher collectible grades with nice, original surfaces. It was worth the PU. :)

Yes I am as I want to post my own pics as I'm eager to image it! :P

Your a right about your statement about the "obsessed" as I was just thinking about this the other day. There have been times over the years that I've passed on a HTT as I felt the asking price was just way too costly. Many times it was just a common R-1 which can still be tough to locate in high quality. Then many years pass and no matter how hard you hunt you just can not find another... Lesson learned sometimes the opportunity to purchase is scarcer then the token itself and you gotta just buck up, swallow, and pay the piper.

Your lucky that thanks me already owning 4 UNC's and Steve posting the end of the L-18 I never saw that shell strike as we would have been dueling till the end of that auction. That's a superb example and was an outright bargain. Although I see a lil rear hip flatness it could still MS62BN which in exonumia TPG means a CH AU too nice to stick in a AU58 holder... Really nice pick-up as that's a $300+/- token even in CH AU.

Your lucky that thanks me already owning 4 UNC's and Steve posting the end of the L-18 I never saw that shell strike as we would have been dueling till the end of that auction.

Yes ... I noticed that you DO love your turtles. :grin:

Yes ... I noticed that you DO love your turtles.:grin:

I'm fond of the L-18's as I sold a nice AU58 in 2005 as it had a lamination right in the center of the Donkey's body. Figuring as Russell considers it a R-1 and nicer example shouldn't be hard to find? Yeah right a 3 year dry spell occurred as non surfaced until 2008. So then whenever I saw an UNC and I was flush I'd pounce on it... Yet even though two major HTT collectors have mentioned keeping nice duplicates is better then money in the bank (as Steve's auction has proven) however owning quadruplicates is really enough!

These images are from Steve's website:

HT83A-o.jpg

HT83A-r.jpg

Beautiful specimen. Congrats on your acquisition. (thumbs u

Thanks Cheetah. And welcome to the forum! :hi::)

Thanks Exo. Appreciate the welcome.

I also examined your specimen at Baltimore. It's a beauty.

The HT which caught my eye was the Howell Works (HT-200), and only because as Steve said, it had an unusually nice reverse. I would have liked to have added it as an upgrade for my cabinet, but it ended up going into a bidding war in the end, and I wasn't going to significantly overpay.

I acquired about 30 specimens during Monday's auction, though none were HTs. Looking forward to receiving them any day now.

Steve always has great stuff. And he's also good guy.

Yeah, that HT-200 went pretty high. I encounter one or two of them every year but they almost always have some undesirable characteristic...most often they are scratched--or porous, like this latest example. If you find one that is problem-free, I recommend you pounce on it.

If you trust the pop report, NGC has only certified three problem-free examples. I own one of them, but it took me a long time to find it and then I was just in the right place at the right time.

As Broadie wisely opined above, "Lesson learned sometimes the opportunity to purchase is scarcer then the token itself and you gotta just buck up, swallow, and pay the piper." At least a couple of bidders considered that to be the case with the HT-200. :)

Many of Steve's HTTs sold for multiples of book. There just hasn't been a lot of fresh material lately so people were eager for newps, the quality was pretty good overall, plus Steve hadn't had a sale for awhile and Joe Levine's annual sale was thin in HTTs.

Anyway, glad you were able to pick up some items from Steve's sale--even if they weren't HTTs. ;)

If you have any HTTs photographed, feel free to share here with the group!

Folks, congrats on a great thread. We are over 430 posts and 31,000 views, and that is all about tokens? Oh my whodda thunk it? Keep up the good work and glad to see some new HTT enthusiasts coming in. Now if only Broadie would stop buying all of the good ones and give the rest of us a chance......

And with that, I am predicting a Froome victory tomorrow..................

Best, HT

Yes I am as I want to post my own pics as I'm eager to image it! :P

The suspense is killing me.... :)

:popcorn:

Another potential bidder warning:

A wrongly attributed Rarity-9 surfaced last night on Ebay having been designated as a HT-63A instead of HT-63/Low-55 Rarity-3 which it really is.

There's absolutely no trace evidence that this over graded VF35 was struck over a HT-72/Low-53.

213hqua.jpg

To close the loop on this thread from last month....

After sending this token back to NGC for re-eval, the seller relisted it tonight as a now correctly attributed HT-63. And with a more reasonable starting bid.

I'm not sure if NGC made this right for the seller or not, but either way I give kudos to the seller for sending it back to correct the egregious mistake. It was the honorable thing to do for sure.

CORRECTED HT-63 ON EBAY

To close the loop on this thread from last month....

After sending this token back to NGC for re-eval, the seller relisted it tonight as a now correctly attributed HT-63. And with a more reasonable starting bid.

I'm not sure if NGC made this right for the seller or not, but either way I give kudos to the seller for sending it back to correct the egregious mistake. It was the honorable thing to do for sure.

Yeah just saw the HT-63 re-listed, but I still feel it's severely over graded and should be in a Details holder.

Liberty Coins also sent one of the wrongly attributed HT-19's back in for connection and re-listed it in a proper HT-20 label holder.

1835 J & C Peck, Troy - NewYork, HT-363 / Low-271, Double Struck w/ Rotation

Me likey! And it appears there is some red. :applause: Thanks for posting it, Broadie. I hope you're happy with the purchase.

Are you sure it is only double struck? There are a couple of areas that make me wonder. Hard to tell from the photos though...maybe it deserves a closer look. hm

1835 J & C Peck, Troy - NewYork, HT-363 / Low-271, Double Struck w/ Rotation

Me likey! And it appears there is some red. :applause: Thanks for posting it, Broadie. I hope you're happy with the purchase.

Are you sure it is only double struck? There are a couple of areas that make me wonder. Hard to tell from the photos though...maybe it deserves a closer look. hm

EXO, Thanks as I'm happy with it as it's the only one I seen or researched with trace red.

I was in a rush to photograph it and post it... So I will have to take a closer look to see if it might be multi-struck hm

Well the PECK's is a stunner, it looks multi-struck for sure, and it ain't BROADSTRUCK! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

1833 Andrew Jackson, Small Shield, Low-5A / HT-8, R-6.

Although a bit lower in grade then what I normally collect and counter struck "17" I really liked the patina on this Brass circulated example. As both the HT-7 and HT-8 Robert Lovett, Sr. varieties have been tough for me to locate issue free in higher grades.

6j0v9l.jpg

Broadie,

Your HT-8 brings us full circle from my first post in this thread! Nicely countersampted, any idea what the 17 was for? Any R6 is a nice example for the collection to be sure.

Best, HT

Broadie,

Your HT-8 brings us full circle from my first post in this thread! Nicely countersampted, any idea what the 17 was for? Any R6 is a nice example for the collection to be sure.

Best, HT

Thanks HTT, So does this mean we are now shutting this thread down hm

17 is my B-Day, my HS and College Jersey #, and my Favorite Bowling Lane, etc :D

Seriously on most HTT counter strikes you can only speculate.