• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

Spectacular new HTT's Broadstruck! (thumbs u

Thought I would compare straight up with my HT-11 and HT-219 so folks can see the differences and similarities:

1834 Running Boar, HT-11 / Low-10, R-3

Very early die stage without the obverse die cracks.

2ev6ejo.jpg

Montgomery had some full purchase info on his enclosed paper envelopes.

Here is mine, note the prominent obverse die crack:

HT-11FordNGCMS63comp.jpg

1837 Henry Anderson, NYC, NY, HT-219 / Low-107 R-2.

214wgvk.jpg

Comparison with mine, note how similar the look of the patina is on both, this seems to be very similar to how all AU58 to MS 219's look:

HT-219NGCMS63comp.jpg

Spectacular new HTT's Broadstruck! (thumbs u

Thought I would compare straight up with my HT-11 and HT-219 so folks can see the differences and similarities:

1834 Running Boar, HT-11 / Low-10, R-3

Very early die stage without the obverse die cracks.

2ev6ejo.jpg

Here is mine, note the prominent obverse die crack:

HT-11FordNGCMS63comp.jpg

Thanks Hard Times :)

Below is my other HT-11 / Low-10 and along with yours there's also a faint secondary obverse die crack that runs off the boars "My Third Heat" straight up through "My Victory" into the P of "Perish".

2ns3y1x.jpg

1837 Henry Anderson, NYC, NY, HT-219 / Low-107 R-2.

214wgvk.jpg

Comparison with mine, note how similar the look of the patina is on both, this seems to be very similar to how all AU58 to MS 219's look:

HT-219NGCMS63comp.jpg

I've noticed there's no perfectly struck Henry Anderson as either the obverse boot central center line is well defined and the reverse is weak... Or the obverse centers are weak and the reverse details are fully struck.

Good points Broadie, for the HT-11 in there a transitional die state where only one of the die cracks is present? For the HT-219, find a fully struck example and you have a very rare token.....

Good points Broadie, for the HT-11 in there a transitional die state where only one of the die cracks is present?

Not that I've seen as the secondary die crack is either faint or prominent.

Nice HTT BS, I like the woodgrain of the obverse.

My 3 NEWPS are said to be on the way from NGC, including one I purchased from Broadie, so soon, we can do a guess the grade with each perhaps......

Nice HTT BS, I like the woodgrain of the obverse.

My 3 NEWPS are said to be on the way from NGC, including one I purchased from Broadie, so soon, we can do a guess the grade with each perhaps......

Thanks Hard Times! :)

I look forward to seeing your newps and how they did at NGC (thumbs u

That is a real beauty, I love spot-free copper. What does it grade?

Best, HT

Thanks! It's in a NGC MS63BN holder... However I generally do not post grades. As although most of the finer HTT examples have been encapsulated over the years, on many occasions my upgrades within my collection have been selling off what TPGS consider finer for a lower graded example which is superior in my personal opinion in either or both surface conditions and strike.

So here is a frustrating story. I had 2 HTT's raw that needed sent in for NGC grading. Since I was going to Chicago ANA in August I decided to turn them in to NGC there. While there I bought another from Steve Hayden, so all 3 went to the Early Bird grading, which at the time was supposed to be around 15 days - that would have been around Sept. 16 or so. As some of you know NGC is backed up, so they shipped on Oct. 5. After 15 buisness days, around two weeks ago, they had not showed up which is never happened before. So I called NGC, they put a tracer on it with USPS but I had lost hope and figured someone had stolen the package en route. I called yesterday and they said they had not heard from USPS yet. But amazingly, they came today and were not gone forever! Hey these are not million dollar coins, but still they are an integral part of my HTT set. So here is the first one, an HT-16. I still have not yet found an HT-16 that I am happy with. But this one is now a nice complement to the HT-64 shown earlier. In fact, this very token was the ugly HT-16 that was in one of my first posts in this thread that somehow was given MS64 by NGC previously. It was cracked out and conserved and sat around waiting for more arrivals to be sent back in. This time around, it got MS63 after conservation but now clearly a prettier token after what I felt was a heavily overgraded and ugly 'MS64' pre-conservation. I will post the other two in the upcoming days.

Best, HT

Before conservation:

HT-16NGCMS64comp.jpg

After

HT-16NGCMS63-1.jpg

I'm not normally keen to conservation at all...

Yet I'm not sure what you did to that HT-16 as it went from very fugly to attractive! :o

The loss of a grade point at NGC is irrelevant as when entombed as a MS64 it was untouchable like encapsulated vomit...

No offense! ;)

Here is number 2 of my submission to NGC. It is one of the more difficult Daniel Webster HTT's to locate with an R4. I bought this from Broadstruck, so he must have a better one. I thought it would go AU58, but it got MS62 and honestly I can't find the rub so NGC got this one right. The luster is subdued but nice and glossy, so clearly not strong enough to be a 63. Nice clean surfaces devoid of any detracting hits, but with reddish to brown toning that is shown to be somewhat patchy. But for an example that is said to have 76-200 extant, I am happy to get this one. NGC has certified 6 of these, one at 64 and 3 at 62, 2 in AU. Alan Fisher has a raw 64, and the Robert Schuman collection has one that I grade from his images at at least 64. BTW, Schuman gives this an R3 unlike the R4 by Rulau. If so, those extra examples must be all very low end, this is a hard one to get. The more common R1 HTT's usually have at least 100 certified by NGC, and most of these are at mint state. So getting an HT-23 in high grade is going to be hard no matter if it us ultimately R3 or R4. Thanks again goes to Broadstruck for this one! Broadie show us your HT-23's below for comparison.

HT-23NGCMS622.jpg

Some newps found on the browse floor at the last Whitman show.

The 1837 HT-35/Low-21 which is the first issued in the Liberty - Not One Cent For Tribute series and is a tougher R-3 which circulated heavily and is tough to find not abused above VG. The only other 2 examples in higher grades that have come to market in the last couple years I didn't care for upon auction lot viewing.

hwajno.jpg

I've been looking for a presentable example of a HT-290 / Low-126 S. Maycock & Co. New York City for a few years and have passed on both of the top pop's at NGC in the this years Stacks auctions. Again due to in hand inspection at pre auction lot viewing as they where not well represented image wise.

jikr51.jpg

A 1837 HT-48 / Low-33 that I actually rejected about 2-3 years ago when sent to me via approval and afterward regretted. There's only been 3 RB example on the market in 6 years and I didn't fully care for the late die stage on this. When I questioned if it was still available a few weeks after sending it back the dealer mentioned that he wasn't sure of it's whereabouts and just found it again for this show.

zumq2p.jpg