• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

Not an HTT, but a Merchant Store Card from the 1850's. But if you like playing cards, well here is the the king of clubs and the queen of diamonds.

PA-179ANGCMS65comp2.jpg

Not an HTT, but a Merchant Store Card from the 1850's. But if you like playing cards, well here is the the king of clubs and the queen of diamonds.

Hard Times, Why not just start a new thread for 1850's US Merchant Store Cards hm

One could start a separate thread but it would likely be short and hard to sustain. Extending this thread I think it a better idea by expanding it to other types of interesting tokens and thus an avenue to sustain it for the good of all. JMTOI.........

One could start a separate thread but it would likely be short and hard to sustain. Extending this thread I think it a better idea by expanding it to other types of interesting tokens and thus an avenue to sustain it for the good of all. JMTOI.........

Hard Times, Does this mean you've run out of HTT's to post? :devil:

1837 T.D. Seaman, Belleville NJ, HT-204B / Low-155 R-5

2zqhtgy.jpg

(Major scuffs and haze on the slab)

T.D. Seaman operated a hotel in Belleville around 1837 and also apparently engaged in trade as a butcher. He was probably the same as one Tobias D. Seaman who was propietor of the Mechanics Hotel on 188 Broad Street in Newark, N.J. from about 1845 to 1850 and following that in 1851 the South Ward Hotel at 398 Broadway in Newark.

Here is a NEWP, one of the harder to find of the Webster ship series, R3. This piece has very different toning on the obverse and reverse sides. Thanks Broadstruck for getting this for me.

Good strike, the luster is not a strong cartwheel under the light, but more silky, typical for the issue. No major dings, the white streaks are on the slab.

HT-17NGCMS64comp.jpg

1835 Clark & Anthony, Providence, Rhode Island, HT-425 / Low-94.

In this era Rhode Island and Massachusetts were the leading United States manufacturing centers for jewelry and watches.

This particular firm was established in 1824 and operated by George G. Clark and Lorenzo D. Anthony.

This HTT variety frequently comes weakly struck in the centers and the peripheral lettering on both obverse/reverse.

The example below is a medium die stage strike which is nearly full mint red.

noajd1.jpg

1837 New York - George A. Jarvis Wine Dealer HT-283 / Low 122

Ex: Sebring Collection.

wgtf1w.jpg

(Some scratches on the right side on both the front and back of the slab.)

1837 E.F. Sise & Co., Portsmouth, NH, HT-195 / Low-132

Edward F. Sise was the founder of the firm of general commission and forwarding merchants which issued this card. He was born in Dover, N.H. on Sept. 19, 1799 and died May 25, 1868. The firm advertised itself as importers of crockery and glassware and dealers in coal. The Company part was E.F Sise and John Walker but after Sise's withdrawal about 1854, Walker continued the business in partnership with sons William H. Sise and Joseph Sise, until Walker retired in 1883 and Joseph Sise died in 1894. This firm occupied the same premises from 1822 until at least 1895, according to Lyman H. Low.

34h9uz9.jpg

Broadstruck,

Those are all beauties, I have the Ford HT-158, I will try to post it for comparison today.

(thumbs u

Thanks Hard Times, I'd love to see your ex Ford HT-158!

As the S. B. Schenck's are very common in low circulated grades, but extremely tough to locate in true UNC.

HAR-DEE-HAR MATEY! :roflmao:

auction descriptions:

"The current offering is a deeply toned, lustrous Gem with traces of mint red coloration visible on the reverse." Heritage

"Uncirculated, with some mint red remaining around the periphery. Sharply struck. Lovely, deep brown color with delicate luster cartwheels."

Hope thems helps :screwy:lol

1837 J.M.L. & W.H. Scovill Manufacturing, Connecticut, HT-105, R-3

28cijxj.jpg

A tougher token from the manufacturer that struck more then 25% of all Hard Times tokens, along with the 1847 Hawaii Cents and the 1860's New Haven Fugio Restrikes.

They are still in business today and make most all buttons and clasps for jeans and infant clothing.

All these awesome HTTs that you guys post on here make it hard for a meager collector to post our worn out specimens and feel good about ourselves :D It has a heck of a lamination on the reverse.

My latest pickup, not sure of the attribution.

IMG_0333a.jpgIMG_0334a.jpg

All these awesome HTTs that you guys post on here make it hard for a meager collector to post our worn out specimens and feel good about ourselves :D It has a heck of a lamination on the reverse.

My latest pickup, not sure of the attribution.

Bugmann, It's a HT-22 / Low-64.

Thanks for the nice comment, yet as I've mentioned before this series is just as tough in issue-free VF as it is in UNC.

So they don't all have to be supermodels as long as they have good personality! ;):P:D

For most within the series, I think it is easier to find MS that it is to find problem free VF-XF. Most of the circulated examples did some hard time in their past! :roflmao:

This threads getting SO long that I'm not sure what I have and haven't posted, as I'll need to surf every page and make a check list! ;):P

This hasn't been posted before... A tougher Rarity-4 Webster :)

1841 Daniel Webster HT-23 / Low-65.

xckrgg.jpg