• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

I like both Broadstruck, but especially the HT-23, that is one I am actively looking for, if the right piece comes along.....

I like both Broadstruck, but especially the HT-23, that is one I am actively looking for, if the right piece comes along.....

HT, Thanks as the HT-23 is very tough even at AU... So don't hold your breath for the right one, as unless a major collection comes to market it's a long wait! :blush:

Here's another S. B. Schenck variety mulling and the R-2 rating might be fine at VG, but above XF this one is extremely tough to locate.

1834 Peck & Brunham HT-168 / Low-326

2dbuxzp.jpg

I like the schencks, yours has a nice tone to it strike is excellent.

Here if my Feuchtwanger cent. I got this from a Scotsman auction, our own James Early US did the lot description, it was his praise of the lot that convinced to bid strong on it and I can tell you it is even a more stunner in hand than the images can show! Thanks James!!! (thumbs u

Note the strike weaknesses on this example are typical for this die variety. There are zero dings of note and the luster is a major flashy cartwheel under the light. As I have said before, it is hard to grade HT's, but I have MS65's graded by NGC in the series that are no match in eye appeal or quality to this supposed MS64. That is pretty much what James said in the lot description also, so again thanks James!!! (worship)

HT-268NGCMS64comp3.jpg

I got this from a Scotsman auction, our own James Early US did the lot description, it was his praise of the lot that convinced to bid strong on it and I can tell you it is even a more stunner in hand than the images can show! Thanks James!!! (thumbs u

Absolutely a fantastic coin! I do remember describing it, and am glad you are enjoying ownership. Trying to get nice pieces with actual luster is near-impossible!

100 Shares of the Hard Times Era New York and Harlem Railroad Company.

1zxky20.jpg

The New York and Harlem Railroad Company was one of the first railroads in the United States and also the world's first street railway. It was opened in 1832 between Lower Manhattan to and beyond Harlem. Initially using horses the line was partially converted to use steam engines and then electricity.

jj8zlg.jpg

This one has even brown color with traces of red in the protected portions of the fields. The strike is quite sharp, and the surfaces free of all but minor signs of contact. The obverse design is curious, in that it states WALSH'S / GENERAL STORE / LANSINGBURGH / (N.Y.) with the N.Y. parentheses, almost as some sort of afterthought by the engraver. The date is below. On the reverse the single row plow stands ready to work, needing but a pair of horses and a farmer to guide it. Walsh's was a meeting place in the general area. Many luminaries and travelers stopped there.

HT-216NGCMS63comp3.jpg

HTT, I really like your Walsh as that's a pretty example! :headbang:

I think the Walsh general store is still open to the public as it's a museum of farming goods?

The exonumia portion of the Bowers/Stacks auction session & a few newp HTT's.

First off I'd like to state that exonumia as a whole in session one last night brought record pricing for most items that crossed the podium. Stacks did surprisingly well before as did Bowers and Merena at times, but together via their merger I was continually shocked watching each lot via the live auction. For HTT's I was already aware that there are 2 new big players on the block which doesn't bother me as more interest and competition is welcomed. Secondly since I was on a sabbatical / hiatus from the PCGS boards I had a chance to review my collection and noticed I well crossed the 100 mark on HTT varieties which is a major milestone as my goal is to just hit 125. I was forewarned when I became serious on this series that it could take me 15-20 years and a lot of patience to achieve... But as some of you know I suffer from insomnia and also hunt while the rest of the numismatic community is asleep.

I'm fading fast tonight so I'll just clip some of the auction descriptions for each to speed up this post...

First off is a HTT that has eluded me twice in MS64 over the last 4 years as I was always the underbidder and none has come to market since 2008 in UNC except a MS63 that was an extremely late die stage and the entire hair bun detail was obliterated. The importance of this Sweet's store card HTT is that it's the only true cent like obverse with a tiara with the words "LIBERTY". This HTT variety as most is very crudely struck as not a whole lot of TLC was given to die preparation since they needed to fill a rapid demand as replacement currency for commerce. It's also struck on a thin smaller planchet which doesn't have formed rims, so although the tip of the tiara may look like it has seen friction it's actually part of the design as do to the high relief obverse the planchet on these when examined it just slopes down.

New York--New York. 1834 Ezra B. Sweet. Low-140, HT-334. Rarity-4. Copper. MS-66 BN (NGC). Description: Delightful, glossy, medium-brown patina accents a magnificent strike. This type is significantly rarer than sometimes stated, perhaps because of the underperformance of three examples in the John J. Ford, Jr. Collection, Part IV. The two pieces offered in the Dice-Hicks Collection Sale (Stack's, 7/2008) included an example of this variety that realized $1,092.50.

NGC Census: only 1; with none finer.

2cemedu.jpg

Next up is the Riker which is part of Lyman Low's 183 satirical issues and although considered a common variety (Now R-2 rated) I've not been able to locate fully struck on the reverse wreath showing full center veining. If you look at the reverse centers under the words "Not One Cent" you'll see trace remnants of a doted line which was a later design change. On the earlier struck Low-154 / HT-306 there is a full solid line in place and due to these being an earlier die stage they generally come better struck then the later example below. Winning this token was the most important as beyond just being the finest at NGC it's also finer then any of the top raw examples in other collections I've seen.

New York--New York. Undated (1837) Abraham Riker. Low-153, HT-305. Rarity-1. Copper. MS-65 RB (NGC). Description: Lovely light-brown patina is accented by plentiful mint red clinging to the devices. A splendid representative of this popular New York City "pictorial" design.

NGC Census: only 1; none are finer within any designation.

2a4wsr8.jpg

Last up is just a one of my favorite designs of the "Not One Cent Millions For Defense" cent like HTT's, as it's muled with the reverse of the Daniel Webster Low-58 / HT-16. Another extremely crude strike as the reverse die was used well after all the Websters had been struck. Stack's once stated that in researching their auctions sales for over 50 years this was most likely the rarest HTT to come to market and possibly no more then 6 existed. The cataloger also stated that in his opinion this was most likely a variety that Charles Bushnell had requested from Scovill manufacturing. Although recently also bumped to R-2 rarity status I personally feel it should be around R-4 as in 5-6 years of searching EBay have only seen one VF example. Anyhow since I already own the other 2 NGC MS64's and I had to have this one too as next to the RB ex Low / Garrett I've never seen another with trace red.

1837 Liberty-Not One Cent. Low-39, HT-52. Rarity-1. Copper. MS-64 BN (NGC). Description: Light glossy-brown patina contrasts with mint red luster outlining the sharply impressed devices. This splendid examples shows the type as it must have looked to its contemporaries. Among the finest certified.

NGC Census: just 3; none are finer.

21jq32r.jpg

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread, both the magnificent tokens and the text accompanying. I only own a couple of HTT's but will probably acquire more.

I couldn't pass this one up :

1837mammothbootrev-1.jpg

1837mammothbootobv-1.jpg

Here's a L-145, one of the Bucklin pieces from the West Troy NY area. I like these because of the crudeness of the dies and strike. This is also one of the more common of the West Troy HTTs.

htt-low145-bucklin.jpg

Here's a L-145, one of the Bucklin pieces from the West Troy NY area. I like these because of the crudeness of the dies and strike. This is also one of the more common of the West Troy HTTs.

htt-low145-bucklin.jpg

That's a very nice example! :applause:

Just another duplicate example from my MS63RB-66RB grading set. :blush:

1837 Illustrious Predecessor HT-34 / Low-20.

of5bpf.jpg

(Some major haze on both the front and back of the slab.)

Prepare for the Turtle Apocalypse! :D

Red Brown grading set of 1837 Illustrious Predecessor HT-34/Low-20

MS63RB

2j3o601.jpg

MS64RB

of5bpf.jpg

MS65RB

6fmao3.jpg

MS66RB

30sy443.jpg

Quality, history, interesting pieces, your amazing HT collection, you name it, but let's keep it going, collect Hard Times Tokens, they be fun and give value in all phases of numismatics.

Best, HT

Nice feuchtwanger and half cent folks! We are over 10,000 views for hard times tokens! Thanks for the compliment X2, HTT collectors are having some fun here.......

HTT prices where very strong in last saturdays Hayden auction. I did lot viewing on all AU and BU lots and condition wise there wasn't anything superb except for one lot that I won at almost my full max bid and will post once it arrives.

Now watching the 1834 H. Milton Clothes HT-163 / Low-265 in the July Bowers Stacks auction which is a $80 token already bid up to $345 with BP... Not sure what that's about hm