• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Times Tokens - Post Your Images

862 posts in this topic

Very nice tokens Broadie and Exo!

Since I can't seem to find any HTT's to buy these days - Sir Broadstruck is scooping them up faster than one can say - I'll Take It! ;) - I thought I would post my most recent token purchase 6 months ago (yes proving the paucity of available HTT's) that I finally imaged. This one was purchased from one of our board members. It is an interesting token and listed as #87 in '100 Greatest American Medal and Tokens' by Jaeger and Bowers. According to Jaeger and Bowers, Scovill Mfg. Co. of Waterbury Connecticut was similar to the Soho Mint in Birmingham, England in that it turned out a wide line of metal goods that included tokens, medals, buttons, housewares, etc. They produced lots of HTT's during the Hard Times era in the previous two decades from this 1850s issue. It was established in 1804, expanded, then burned down in 1830 and rebuilt again. Not only did they make this token in the 1850s, but many store cards in various metals.

There are two varieties, NY-802 (copper) and 803 (brass). Probably struck around 1855. This one is a stunner for toning, and the underlying flash is hard to image. The reverse side is about 50% red, the obverse maybe 5% giving it the RB designation. The white streaks on the the slab, I am going to get it reslabbed next time I go to a show that NGC is at. Strike is impeccable, this token was probably made for collectors and the book notes that most are in uncirculated condition. Interestingly, Jaeger and Bowers estimate 250 to 300 known for both types. If this was a 19th century federal coin with such a rarity, the price would be much higher than their estimate of $80 to $150 in MS63 to 65.

Best, HT

NY-802NGCMS65RB.jpg

Important among the issuers of Hard Times tokens was the firm of J. M. L. & W. H. Scovill, of Waterbury, Connecticut. This firm and its successors have a rich numismatic history. In 1862 Scovill produced encased postage stamps. Later the firm supplied planchets to the United States Mint for the production of nickel alloy coins.

Scovill's beginnings can be traced to 1802 when. Abel Porter & Co. produced buttons. The company was composed of Silas Grilley (who earlier had made pewter buttons in Waterbury), Abel Porter, Levi Porter, and Daniel Clark. Brass was formed into ingots: on the premises, transported to nearby Bradleyville, where it was rolled into strips, and then returned to Waterbury for cutting and stamping. In 1806 Levi Porter withdrew from the firm in order to enter the dock business with Eli Terry, a pioneer Connecticut manufacturer. David Hayden, a manufacturer of brass buttons in Attleboro, Massachusetts, came to Waterbury and became a partner. A water-powered mill was constructed on the site later occupied by Scovill. In 1809 Grilley left the business, and in 1811 the firm was dissolved. A new company was founded by Frederick Leavenworth, David Hayden, and James M. L. Scovill under the name of Leavenworth, Hayden & Scovill. The former business of Porter was acquired. In 1827 Hayden and Leavenworth left the firm, and W. H. Scovill, J. M. L.' s younger brother, acquired a half interest in the business. The title was changed to J. M. L. & W. H. Scovill.

On March 31, 1830, the main building was destroyed by fire and all of the machinery was lost Restoration began immediately and it was completed by the following July. In 1836 John Buckingham, then brother-in-law, was admitted as a partner in a separate enterprise which manufactured hinges under the name of Scovill & Buckingham": In 1840 the son of John Buckingham (Scovill M. Buckingham) and his son-in' law, Abram Ives, were taken into the business 0 J. M. L. & W. H. Scovill. For the next ten years but tons were manufactured under the name of Scovill & Co., while the original J. M. L. & W. H. Scovill name was used in the manufacture of rolled brass and brass wire.

Shortly after their invention in 1839, daguerrotype plates were introduced into the United States. By 1842 a strong demand was created for the devices, which were composed of silver-plated copper with a mirrorlike surface. Scovill entered the field and soon became the largest manufacturer of these in the United States. Cameras and other photographic goods were soon added to the line. Branches were established in New York, Boston, and Chicago.

In 1850 the various Scovill enterprises were combined under a stock company which adopted the name of Scovill Manufacturing Company. The firm continued its growth and entered many new product lines. By 1912 the company had a capitalization of $5 million and employed 4,000 people.

Among the Hard Times tokens made by Scovill are those listed by Low as numbers 31-40, 45-48, 58-65, 67, 68, 95-97, 107, 110, 111, 115, 122, 123, 127, 130, 133-136, 138, 153, and 154.

Here is a nice example from the house of Scovill produced during the HardTimes. It is certainly for the pleasure of the eye for the Exojunkie's among us even though it is not Broadstruck. But it does show that coins, er, ah, tokensarefun.

HT-47L32NGCMS63RBcomp.jpg

Here is a nice example from the house of Scovill produced during the HardTimes. It is certainly for the pleasure of the eye for the Exojunkie's among us even though it is not Broadstruck. But it does show that coins, er, ah, tokensarefun.

Nicely done HT! lol

I like it ;):grin:

Since the last few days have brought us some beautiful Scovill-related eye candy plus an exciting new discovery, I thought maybe I would bring it all together with a Scovill-related new discovery!

Well ... I can't actually take credit for discovering it, but I can take credit for buying it. :grin: Here it is:

1838 Columbia Manuel Maria Pla of Cartagena token struck over a Scovill-produced HT-48

HToverstrikeobv.jpgHToverstrikerev.jpg

As stated in Rulau, "Hard Times tokens were overstruck by an American firm for use in Columbia, South America. Some of the 1838 tokens of Manuel Maria Pla of Cartagena, 1835-40 Velez Matos pieces, 1839-40 Manuel Angulo tokens of Barranquilla and 1840s Espinosa-Olier pieces are known on HTTs. Some 1844 Jose M. Ruiz tokens of Mompos also may have been struck this way."

The known HTT undertypes include HT-16, HT-34, HT-53, HT-69, HT-154, HT-239, HT-291, 293, and 294.

Very scarce ... there are less than a dozen reported. This is the first (to my knowledge) with a HT-48 undertype. I just got it back from NGC about a week ago and felt very fortunate to add it to my collection. :)

1838 Columbia Manuel Maria Pla of Cartagena token struck over a Scovill-produced HT-48

Glad you picked that up EXOJ as I was wondering who bought that?

As I couldn't swing both at the time and this below was the no brainer for me when the pair posted.

1825 Peale's Museum, HT-303/ Low-269 / Miller NY-632, R-6.

Ex: Capt. Andrew Zabriskie.

The finest known specimen of this token and current Russell Rulau Plate.

1r65gl.jpg

Glad you picked that up EXOJ as I was wondering who bought that?

Yep, it was me. :blush:

As I couldn't swing both at the time and this below was the no brainer for me when the pair posted.

1825 Peale's Museum, HT-303/ Low-269 / Miller NY-632, R-6.

I didn't know the two had posted at the same time. Thanks for leaving that nut behind for this old blind squirrel to find! lol;)

Here's another tasty nut I found one day: :)

(1841-43) Spering Good & Co., Philadelphia PA, HT-419, R6

HT419_XF45.jpg

Very scarce. This elusive brass beauty is one of only two examples certified by NGC. I also owned the other one at one time (also NGC XF45) and this one is far superior in both detail and eye appeal. I'm personally aware of only 3-4 examples being available for sale in the last decade or two, one of those (the "other 45") crossing the block multiple times including at least twice at PCAC and a very ugly VF example (porous and cut) sold by Stack's last year. I don't have access to a lot of auction records though ... did Ford and Dice/Hicks have examples? A search through Stacks' auction archives yielded none.

Unless there are a bunch of them hiding out there in collections I think this should be an R-7.

I don't have access to a lot of auction records though ... did Ford and Dice/Hicks have examples?

Ford No...

The Dice Hicks dynamic duo did have a lovely toned Brass and a fully Silvered Brass version.

AN92048433-oz.jpgAN92048433-rz.jpg

AN61576091-oz.jpgAN61576091-rz.jpg

Wow ... gorgeous. Thanks for posting those pics. The silvered variety is even scarcer although I think Rulau rates it an R5. (shrug)

Just out of curiosity, what did those babies hammer at?

$1,093.00 Brass and $863.00 Silvered with BP%.

Wow ... gorgeous. Thanks for posting those pics. The silvered variety is even scarcer although I think Rulau rates it an R5. (shrug)

Just out of curiosity, what did those babies hammer at?

$1,093.00 Brass and $863.00 Silvered with BP%.

Those are fantastic. In the euphoria of the D/H sale, a lot of their tokens sold too high, but this buyer(s) did well IMO.

Those are fantastic. In the euphoria of the D/H sale, a lot of their tokens sold too high, but this buyer(s) did well IMO.

Some did sell high... However many others I'd love to buy at the prices they hammered! :takeit:

1838-1840 Hallock, Dolson, & Bates, New York, HT-277 / Low-253, Brass, R-4.

This is the tougher to locate merchant store cards then the HT-275 / Low-251 Hallock & Bates.

Although both share the same rarity rating of R-4 this variety is far scarcer to find in any condition.

Struck by Scovill this die pairing shows the street name on the reverse is misspelled "WILLAM" confirming that bad spellers should not be die cutters.

2dl3djk.jpg

Here's a pair of MS62s, which Broadie knows is my favorite grade! lol Sorry, that's an inside joke. ;)

Enjoy these Clays!

(1840) Henry Clay, Satirical, HT-79 / Low 192, R-2, Copper

HT79_MS62.jpg

(1840) Henry Clay, Satirical, HT-79A / Low 193, R-3, Brass

79A_MS62.jpg

Exo, not only are they fantastic HTT's and explain why I can find myself a nice Henry Clay lol but the images are excellent as well. If you are doing your own images you get a star! ^^

The Clay HTT's never appealed to me as I've had opportunities to purchase the Copper, Brass, & R-8 Gilt and passed. I added the following to my collection to represent Henry Clay -

1844 Henry Clay Campaign Medal, HC 1844-9

10ndopc.jpg

This scarce intriguing medal was issued by the Native American Party also known as the Native American Association. It’s members were usually referred to as "Natives" a precursor to the Know Nothing Party in 1844.

They saw the U.S. flag as "Trampled Upon" and urged people to "Beware of Foreign Influence."

They supported the Whig ticket of Clay and Frelinghuysen and this medal is a product of the their platform was anti-foreign-born and anti-catholic.

They asserted that only native-born, protestant citizens were fit to run the country.

natives.jpg

gg9965.jpg

Anyone who has seen the film "Gangs of New York" is familiar with this anti-immigrant movement, which appeared in the early 1840’s and had political influence up to the Civil War when more pressing concerns pushed it from the stage.

White metal 41mm in diameter -

The obverse depicts Henry Clay standing with his right arm upraised and with his left holding a tattered U.S. flag with 13 stars.

On the reverse is a flying eagle with a scroll in its beak is surrounded by a semicircle of 7 stars.

Most surviving examples are known in VF +/- details condition and are either holed for suspension or have been plugged. This Unc example (NGC MS62PL) is one of the finest known and is fully proof-like along with being unholed.

Well there are a half a dozen Henry Clay 1840 campaign token varieties in the Hard Times Token series, but none are as graphic as this.