• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,891 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2023 at 6:10 PM, J P M said:

I have been on the hunt for the last three Morgans to finish my set.1893.94 and 95 Well I was able to find a good looking 1894 O VF35 without breaking the bank. Now down to the last two.

1894 +.jpg

1894 Reverse.jpg

Blast from the Past!

Q.A.:  I am very happy for you.  Now on to Part Two...

J P M:   TWO???!

Q.A.:  Yes, it's called upgrading. (We shall talk about hits, runs, errors, VAMs and varieties another time.) 🤣

On 1/2/2024 at 1:51 AM, ProfHaroldHill said:

6a.jpg

6d.jpg

Very nice. It looks like an under graded PF CAM. This coin as a proof has medium relative series rarity with a mintage of 3200 and easily acquired in PF 63-65...  but if it was designated PF CAM it would rise considerably in value and rarity. Nice coin. 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 1/9/2024 at 3:53 PM, BillJones said:

I had been looking for an 1802 over 1 dollar for several years. Although there are five die varieties of it, the coin does not seem to crop up frequently. There were quite a few in the Heritage auction that will close shortly, but I spotted this one at the rent Winter FUN bourse. It is an NGC graded AU-55.

The Bowers dollar book variety is BB 234. It is a die chip to the right of Ms. Liberty's eye which is a characteristic of the variety. I liked it because the overdate is very sharp. 

1802 Over 1 Dol All.jpg

Very lovely example!

On 1/11/2024 at 2:23 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Very nice. It looks like an under graded PF CAM. This coin as a proof has medium relative series rarity with a mintage of 3200 and easily acquired in PF 63-65...  but if it was designated PF CAM it would rise considerably in value and rarity. Nice coin. 

Thanks Mike! I think it's probably under-graded and it definitely has cameo contrast, (back then IIRC they didn't designate cameo on 3c Nickels.) But I love those old holders with the gold 'embossing' and no hologram.

Reminds me of the days when I first started sending coins in for grading, so I'd be hard-pressed to send it in for an upgrade!