• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,891 posts in this topic

I saw 2 coins that I thought were die varieties, so I purchased them and they came in today.

One is a "broken 3" seated lberty dime and all attributes match.  F-105, R2.

The other is a seated liberty half, but the variety clue (8 in the denticles) is problematic, as the denticles have a lot of wear.  However, the denticle in question is fat, so I will be sending this coin to PCGS.  The variety in question is VP-001, WB-103, R4.

seateddimeobverse1883s.jpg

seateddimereverse1883s.jpg

seatedhalfobverse1866s.jpg

seatedhalfreverse1866s.jpg

On 11/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, leeg said:

An add to my Classic Commemorative Set:

1870024872_GCWashingtonCarverCombo2.thumb.png.39cbd28f09ca9fa1a5711b1bc3232464.png

ACCOLATED!  For the benefit of hobbyists who are partial to commemoratives which feature what I call double-portraiture, hereinabove, the formal, numismatic term as defined by Stacks Bowers:  "Overlapped impression, as with two or more portraits on the face of a coin. The 1900 Lafayette commemorative silver dollar bears the accolated portraits of Washington and Lafayette. (My thanks to @leeg for his fellow members' polling on commemorative favorites, and touching accolade for the Grand Master @RWB also honored as Numismatist of the Year.)

On 11/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, RWB said:

These are called "jugate busts" as the people at Stack's-Bowers should know.

[Maybe so, but it took me months to figure out what the spelling of the term was and try to remember where I last saw it.  Besides, No Way would any Moderator allow me to use a suggestive term like that, likely unfamiliar to most members, on this conservative, family-friendly Forum.]  🤣

On 9/25/2023 at 3:43 PM, Simmoleon said:

Couple of coins picked up at auction and off to be graded very soon - I’m awful at guessing grades so I won’t speculate but you are welcome too but auction house consider them Choice Uncirculated 

980_2.jpeg

985_2.jpeg

The 1928 is now an MS63 and the 1908 liberty is MS64 - I thought they both had a chance at 64 but I can’t complain as they are issue free 

On 11/29/2023 at 3:38 PM, Simmoleon said:

The 1928 is now an MS63 and the 1908 liberty is MS64 - I thought they both had a chance at 64 but I can’t complain as they are issue free 

Congrats on the straight grades.

On 5/28/2023 at 8:09 PM, Simmoleon said:

Bought a couple of unc Morgans from a CNG auction, be interested what people think they may grade, will confirm the actual grades once they are graded:

1888 with Double Ear and 1883cc

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

I held off grading them for numerous reasons but I was sending a submission in and thought why not just get them conserved and graded - both came back MS63. Wasn’t expecting any ridiculous high grades, so ended up with 2 honest coins which is fine for me

On 11/29/2023 at 5:38 PM, Simmoleon said:

The key to these is you have to know where the highest points are in the relief.  I see "transactional"* wear on the hair of the '08, but the Indian fella's feathers are beyond compare. Guess that's why I'll always be a professional amateur. 🤣

* Wear attained during  transfers between a succession of stewards and raw coin spectators over a hun'red years.